LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your KEY Guitar tips for learners!  (Read 2996 times)

Offline kingsp

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • You Tube

Your KEY Guitar tips for learners!
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:36:52 AM »
Hi guys,

I've been learning acoustic for 18 months now and i'm requesting advice and suggestions from all you experienced players.

When you look back on your development what are the ESSENTIAL factors you would highly recommend to the likes of me??? Think about those things YOU WISH somebody had told you earlier because they helped so much. Maybe it's a useful book/resource/website.

I know this may be your personal opinion but i'm on a lifelong mission to learn this instrument so please share your knowledge. I practice everyday but sometimes question whether i'm doing right and get stuck in ruts especially with picking and finger strength and accuracy. I feel i can operate the individual hands ok but bringing all of it together is difficult.

I have weekly lessons also but only 30 mins so don't always get the time to ask everything.

A few people have encouraged me to start playing with the church band during rehearsals as they say 'jamming' is the next step?? I've been a couple of times but got frustrated because they can all play by ear and whilst i'm trying to learn the first progression they have moved onto a next song!!! :(

Anyway....all advice will be taken on board so thanks in advance.

Blessings
'the holy spirit searches the deep things of God'

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

Re: Your KEY Guitar tips for learners!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 10:57:33 AM »
First off...congrats for choosing the coolest instrument, the guitar!  ;D

Well first off, you're doing the right thing by taking lessons.  Lessons will help with techniques and general theory.

***EMPHASIS***

Know your Theory! You can't expect to hang with keyboard cats and you don't know your theory.  Most of these help sites are tailored to the piano or organ. You have to use Theory to transpose progressions and chords to the guitar.  *Note...not all chords played on the piano can be played on the guitar, but the keyboard can't do tricks like the guitar either  ;) ...know your instrument and theory!

What type of music does your church play?  Is it gospel? CCM? traditional?

Depending on the style of music being played, you might need to direct your attention to a different genre of music. Chris Tomlin, Isreal, Tye Tribbett, Fred Hammond etc.

Also, Youtube is your friend.  There are alot of great guys out there that walk you through you favorite songs.  That right there is your biggest resource.

One trick is to learn a song that you WANNA learn! It'll motivate you to practice! (I'm learning "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey so...yeah  :D)

Above all, PRACTICE!

Hopes this helps!

*Also search through the guitar room topics for more info  ;) *

Offline kingsp

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • You Tube

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 07:31:59 AM »
Do they all play totally by ear or do they have a church "fake book" you can get a copy of? If not you know what songs your church plays and you can start the google/you tube search for tabs/chord charts, performances, lessons and tutorials to play along with.

No church fake book don't even know what that is lol! Some of them are trained espescially on the keys to like grade 8s but lot of them just learnt to play over the years in church.

Offline kingsp

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • You Tube

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 07:36:37 AM »
First off...congrats for choosing the coolest instrument, the guitar!  ;D

Well first off, you're doing the right thing by taking lessons.  Lessons will help with techniques and general theory.

***EMPHASIS***

Know your Theory! You can't expect to hang with keyboard cats and you don't know your theory.  Most of these help sites are tailored to the piano or organ. You have to use Theory to transpose progressions and chords to the guitar.  *Note...not all chords played on the piano can be played on the guitar, but the keyboard can't do tricks like the guitar either  ;) ...know your instrument and theory!

What type of music does your church play?  Is it gospel? CCM? traditional?

Depending on the style of music being played, you might need to direct your attention to a different genre of music. Chris Tomlin, Isreal, Tye Tribbett, Fred Hammond etc.

Also, Youtube is your friend.  There are alot of great guys out there that walk you through you favorite songs.  That right there is your biggest resource.

One trick is to learn a song that you WANNA learn! It'll motivate you to practice! (I'm learning "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey so...yeah  :D)

Above all, PRACTICE!

Hopes this helps!

*Also search through the guitar room topics for more info  ;) *

hi it's mainly gospel and traditional with odd CCM such as some of the Israel stuff but very few of this.

When you say Theory which particular parts? I'm just starting piano lessons at the same time as well to enhance my playing and finger movements and the tutor is teaching me theory (basic reading and rythym) which has helped already.

Youtube has been a great help i've posted some stuff check it out if you get time you may have some pointers.  http://www.youtube.com/user/kingsandannie?feature=mhum

Blessings

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 11:02:43 AM »
A few pieces of advice that pop into my head...

Never stop learning. Regarding music, you will never know all there is to know, so don't ever stop learning.
What you DON'T PLAY is as important as what you DO PLAY, so allow room for space and silence and rests in music.
Always use your ears and, in the context of a band, listen to the other players, the mix, the groove, and what you are adding to it.
Learn more than what your teacher is giving you and always be aware of other influences to help you learn.

Learning music and how to play an instrument is a life-long pursuit. Don't be discouraged if after only 1 1/2 years you're unable to keep up with the big boys or whatever. It would be odd if at this time you COULD hang with them and what they're playing, no offense.
Best thing I could advise is to get one of those more mature musicians to give you some time so that you can get some of their knowledge to rub off on you. And, like I said above, ALWAYS make sure your ears are listening and soaking up what they hear.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 01:11:36 PM »
Seeing as in kingsp's case it is mostly Gospel and not acoustic guitar driven CCM they are probably playing in  guitar unfriendly keys. A capo more then a steady diet of barre chords may be in order for the church rehearsals and jam sessions.

Actually, I'd side-step the capo and get them on a steady diet of chord triads and progressions based on the diatonic scale, seeing as how most of what we play in the western civilized world is somewhat based on the diatonic scales.
If they can comprehend a I-IV-V-vi-ii progression using triads in a variety of keys, they'll be much farther ahead than trying to know what fret to stick the capo on and how to transpose the open position chords, imho. A capo is still a useful tool, but it does have its limitations.

Offline kingsp

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • You Tube

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 09:27:18 AM »

If they can comprehend a I-IV-V-vi-ii progression using triads in a variety of keys, they'll be much farther ahead than trying to know what fret to stick the capo on and how to transpose the open position chords, imho. A capo is still a useful tool, but it does have its limitations.
[/quote]

Thanks guys. I understand this principle but lack speed so if the keys shout out the chord progression it takes me about 20 secs to work it out during play so miss the mark! Thanks for all comments guys appreciate it.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 12:14:02 PM »
Thanks guys. I understand this principle but lack speed so if the keys shout out the chord progression it takes me about 20 secs to work it out during play so miss the mark! Thanks for all comments guys appreciate it.

That's ok. Speed comes with consistent practice over time. The more you do it, the better you WILL become.  :)

Offline JayP5150

• LGM Member
    • PEEBSound Guitar Effects

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 12:47:36 PM »
Actually, I'd side-step the capo and get them on a steady diet of chord triads and progressions based on the diatonic scale, seeing as how most of what we play in the western civilized world is somewhat based on the diatonic scales.

Capos don't fit electrics, anyhow*  ;)

*this is a statement of opinion lol

Offline Fingers!

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 11:29:25 AM »
Everything that was suggested is great.  Also...the best thing I ever did for myself was record the practice session.  That allowed me to go home and STUDY the guys I wanted to play with, study them as long as I wanted, as many times as I wanted.

KidRid

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 09:30:03 AM »
Greetings

I go by KidRid

I am new to this site and find it very pleasing. I would have to agree with
every one on this post that lessons are the most important steps in all of the
"Building Blocks"  You have to crawl before you can walk and that leads to running.

P.S. You picked the right instrument........

Offline Sonar

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 09:39:05 PM »

I once tried another approach to getting those nice open strings in ANY key...

...but getting the guitar case in the car every Sunday proven the downfall of my plan.  

Pages: [1]   Go Up