LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about #9b13 chord - tritone sub or something else?  (Read 2156 times)

Offline 1945 Buescher Aristocrat

• LGM Member

Question about #9b13 chord - tritone sub or something else?
« on: November 03, 2010, 12:59:53 AM »
Is there a standard way of looking at a #9b13 chord, I mean as an extension, or stacking of a certain type of triad on top of another triad?  If so, I don't see it - maybe there is something in an inversion or common voicing that I am not seeing.  The application that prompts this - full disclosure - is the last chord in each chorus of - not a gospel song - Recordame.  I recognize it as both a tri-tone sub of a possible Bb7, but also as part of a minor turnaround to the A-7 that starts each next chorus.  Any thoughts? 

Offline bug

• LGM Member
  • Best teacher is one who makes you want to learn.
    • http://Music Services

Re: Question about #9b13 chord - tritone sub or something else?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 01:27:58 PM »
It's an Augmented 7th with a sharped or raised 9th. In concert it would have E as it's root for the tune Recordame by Joe Henderson. It could be identified on the piano as a 7th chord in the left hand with no 3 and no 5 and an Augmented triad on flat 6 or sharped 5. In other words E7 with no 5 under C+. E7 no 5\C+

During that period Wayne Shorter and others were experimenting with brightening up the Major triad. One way they were doing it was by making harmony with two Major 3rds stacked on top of each other, rather than the more common Major 3rd and minor third stack of the Major triad.
The greatest mistake most amateur musicians make is giving up.  Don't give up !!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up