LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Backwoods" drummers  (Read 1991 times)

Offline sonorJ

• LGM Member

"Backwoods" drummers
« on: January 28, 2005, 05:36:13 PM »
8O I have came to the conclusion that most of the hottest drummers out there, are playing or have come from small little country churches. In my past, I have visited lots of small churches with about 15 to 30 members in them, and the drummer is just ripping it up on the drums with style you won't find in these 5,000 seater to 1,000 seater big church.

:cry: When I go to the bigger churches, the drummer isn't as half as good as the small church drummers; yeah they're getting paid, but tha's because artists assume that the best drummers are in the best or biggest churches, while the small church drummers are being passedd by everyday, as if they don't count, when some of them could play them under a rock! They are also more humble and choose to stay where they are getting fed the word instead of trying to make it mainstream by going to a bigger church.

:cry: I myself play at a 3,000 seater church, but I can back up the reason why I'm in the head of percussion seat, not because of my skill, but because of my waitng for 6 years at an 11 member church till someone recruited me to a bigger one. I'm just trying to put it out there, that it's not the size of the church where the talent is, but where the devotion is :wink:

Be Blessed!

Offline drummerboy25

• LGM Member

drummers
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 10:40:02 PM »
so true my brother. it seems as if everything 2day is about man's glory and not 4 God's glory. i know plenty of "small" church drummers that i'd put up against any of these "professionals" and i truly believe they would/could out play the professionals.  not 2 sound 2 arrogant or anything, but i myself play at a small church. no more than 50-75 members on a good day and every time i play i get compliments even when visiting churches come over they always want me 2 teach them something and i don't feel like i'm that good yet.  but as u stated if u stay devoted God will take care of u.

Offline CalKel2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

"Backwoods" drummers
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 12:45:35 AM »
True, I can sympathize with both of you. I too play at a small church and when visiting I usually get comments as well as repuests to teach. I've been invited to play at some larger churches but sometimes with those larger churches it seems like you have so much goverenment (people trying to tell you what to do and how to do it) that it usually turns me off. Don't get me wrong, I do submit to my MOM and my Pastor. However, I do not enjoy the sound man coming down from his booth every five minutes to tell me what I'm doing wrong. I may sit in sometimes but I don't join the band.
Pages: [1]   Go Up