LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone brought the MKS-20 sample sounds for the Motif?  (Read 7465 times)

Offline dReam_fpd

• LGM Member

Has anyone brought the MKS-20 sample sounds for the Motif?
« on: November 24, 2010, 02:42:50 AM »
did anyone buy the MKS-20 sample sounds yet from Jamal Hartwell website yet? If so, How did it sound?

This sound is what Mike Bereal and Jason White and many other cats on that level use...Its that gospel sound you always here on albums like Judith McAllister, New Birth Total Praise Choir etc...

I would like to purchase it maybe in the future, but the MKS-20 module cost about $600.. thats the cheapest I saw it, and its very old with only a few sounds....

So, let me know if it's worth buying......

Offline Ricoche

• LGM Member
  • Live from Japan!
    • Jim Atwood in JAPAN Music Blog

Re: Has anyone brought the MKS-20 sample sounds for the Motif?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 06:16:19 AM »
I bought the MKSensation Sample set a couple of days ago from Gospelmusicians.  I currently have them installed in the Yamaha Motif ES and I think they all sound really good.  Although the raw samples are good, I think the programming of Dave Polich really makes them outstanding as well, so I'd say it was a pretty solid team effort.  The MKSensation Samples are also pretty light weight compared to other sample sets which makes it more incredible that they sound so good.  What I mean by light weight is that there are fewer velocity layers and sampled keys than some other sets.  This means you can cram more samples into your Yamaha Motif and/or have them load faster.  Price is comparable to other Sample sets provided on Motifator.com.  If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask anytime.  Note I also have the Neo-Soul Rhodes set as well.  Great Samples!

Regards,

Jim
Do what you love, the rest will come!

Offline Starlingj

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "Iron Sharpens Iron"
    • SmoothChords : Piano Lesson Video Tutorials

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 06:57:23 AM »
Yeah I like them also. I am just looking to see how I can create my own sound bank and load them all into the user banks. What I have done so far is load one set and then load individual sounds to the other user set areas. The sounds are really good. There are also a lot of Free sounds on motifator.com

Offline apex

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 10:28:52 AM »
MKS 20 modules are not $600.  No where close... maybe half of that.

With that said....  Jamall did an excellent job on the MKS soundset.  He has a video demoing the sounds too, so maybe you should check that out.  The advantage of the soundset (while it may not be EXACTLY like the MKS 20 sounds) is that you get a VERY VERY VERY close replica for a small fraction of the cost.  Plus you don't have to lug around the MKS all the time.  And while the MKS may one day fail on you... the sample set for the Motif won't.  And if you decide to upgrade your keyboard....(to another motif), you can always take your mks20 samples to the next machine. 

The only reason NOT to do it, is if you are VERY short on sample space.  If you've got the space to hold the MKS sample set, there's no real reason not to get it. 

I didn't buy it, but I was in close conversation with him during the process.  He took his time and did an outstanding job.  I already owned an MKS sample set that I got last year sometime (that's why I didn't buy his...plus I don't have a motif keyboard LOL... (just the XS RACK).  But I also own an MKS-20 module.  There's nothing like it.  But MKSensation is very very close!!!!
I'm Blessed To Be A Blessing!!!!!!!!!!

Offline GospelMusicians

• LGM Member
  • President/Owner of GospelMusicians.com
    • Gospel Musicians - Making Musicians Into Ministers

Layering...
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 10:18:50 AM »
Hey guys thanks for the support! Another important benefit is layering. You can layer, say, the MKS Piano 1, with the MKS EP 2. The only way for you to do that otherwise, is to have two modules. Those two layers are awesome. I did have to make the soundset a little smaller to conserve space, so when everyone says it sounds close, then close, is super close. I used 4-Layers for the pianos to capture all the expressiveness and I can say that I use the samples every single time I'm in church on our ES8 and my musician friends are all looking for the module. I tell them, the module is in the Motif :).

So with that said, I can safely assure everyone that the samples are very close and in one instance, on the piano 2 it is actually warmer than the MKS....I know sounds crazy, but it is....I guess I got lucky on that one  :D Check out the video:

Roland MKS-20 Digital Piano Module Sounds and Samples for your Yamaha Motif ES/XS/XF Synthesizer

Making Musicians Into Ministers....

Offline tkeys86

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 11:43:53 AM »
@GospelMusicians

Would it be possible to load the MKSensation into a S90ES?

Offline apex

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 11:01:30 PM »
@GospelMusicians

Would it be possible to load the MKSensation into a S90ES?

I don't think the s90 loads samples...

Offline Bronzee

• LGM Member
  • I'm a praiser!!
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/bronzeey1

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 11:15:52 PM »
I got something to say, i just wish SOMEONE fix it so I can be on on all the nice sounds one day..duh!! iI have a yamaha M08.  I am sittting waiting patiently for Jamal to make us baby moes happy also..  Is there any chance in the future???

Offline apex

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 12:46:22 AM »
I got something to say, i just wish SOMEONE fix it so I can be on on all the nice sounds one day..duh!! iI have a yamaha M08.  I am sittting waiting patiently for Jamal to make us baby moes happy also..  Is there any chance in the future???

don't think the mo series can load samples either... (not positive though)

Offline rayjohnson83

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.facebook.com/rayjohnson83

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 05:01:08 PM »
don't think the mo series can load samples either... (not positive though)
nope....thats why I'm thinking about throwing my MO8 out the window...lol

Offline GospelMusicians

• LGM Member
  • President/Owner of GospelMusicians.com
    • Gospel Musicians - Making Musicians Into Ministers

When considering a Keyboard...
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 06:28:40 PM »
Other than a musician, and a teacher, my education in college is an electrical engineer. That affords me the opportunity to know about technology. With that said, I can't even count the number of E-mails that I get about providing the sounds for the MO8 and S90.

You have to understand that the MO is such a popular keyboard, because you "feel" as if you are getting a Motif at a cheeper price, and it's only when you want to upgrade or install custom samples, like our library, that you slowly find out that you can't upgrade it like you want. That's why I try to provide so much information on my site and doing educational videos on technology, because a gospel musician is as only as good as his knowledge of technology. Knowing your major, minor, and theory of music is only one small part of being a musician. The other part is knowing your technology.

With that said on to the MO......Unfortunately guys, the MO will never, ever be able to load new sounds. The only way to load new sounds is to have sample RAM. Yes, you can tweak the sounds, add filters, lfo's, blah, blah...:), but you will never be able to load brand new sounds and samples on the S90 or MO keyboards.

You have to make your keyboard purchases with the future in mind and because I know, I would never buy a keyboard without the ability to load new samples, because when/if I get board or want new sound inspiration, I know I can do that. I know price is a factor and you have to get what you can afford at the time, but I would prefer a used ES over a new MO, just because of that ability to load samples.

Just my two cents....
Making Musicians Into Ministers....

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

Re: When considering a Keyboard...
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 06:35:14 PM »
Other than a musician, and a teacher, my education in college is an electrical engineer. That affords me the opportunity to know about technology. With that said, I can't even count the number of E-mails that I get about providing the sounds for the MO8 and S90.

You have to understand that the MO is such a popular keyboard, because you "feel" as if you are getting a Motif at a cheeper price, and it's only when you want to upgrade or install custom samples, like our library, that you slowly find out that you can't upgrade it like you want. That's why I try to provide so much information on my site and doing educational videos on technology, because a gospel musician is as only as good as his knowledge of technology. Knowing your major, minor, and theory of music is only one small part of being a musician. The other part is knowing your technology.

With that said on to the MO......Unfortunately guys, the MO will never, ever be able to load new sounds. The only way to load new sounds is to have sample RAM. Yes, you can tweak the sounds, add filters, lfo's, blah, blah...:), but you will never be able to load brand new sounds and samples on the S90 or MO keyboards.

You have to make your keyboard purchases with the future in mind and because I know, I would never buy a keyboard without the ability to load new samples, because when/if I get board or want new sound inspiration, I know I can do that. I know price is a factor and you have to get what you can afford at the time, but I would prefer a used ES over a new MO, just because of that ability to load samples.

Just my two cents....
You're absolutely right!! I tried to get new sounds for my MO8 but was very disappointed to find out that I couldn't do it. I still think that the MO8 is an excellent keyboard for a beginner like myself or either an intermediate musician.
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline ddw4e

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Just doing what i do! LOL!

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 12:10:49 AM »
I really don't mind having the Mo cause I have the MKS samples on my MacBook for Reason/Logic/Protools. Most cases I don't have to bring a keyboard so i just hook it up to any board and BOOM!I have to convert my samples for MainStage so i can layer. Haven't do it yet but very soon! I have a lot of services to play and my Macbook is going to be my workhorse all the way!
MERCY EN!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up