LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Number System, Part 1  (Read 28040 times)

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

The Number System, Part 1
« on: November 24, 2010, 04:53:44 PM »
The number system is a method of writhing chord charts so that a song can be discussed,arranged and performed in any key.in the number system numbers are assign to each step of the scale degree,the number represent chords or a single note,lets keep it simple and use single notes for now. Let's start with the key of  "C"

C   D   E   F   G   A   B   C
 1   2   3   4   5     6   7    8

Let;s say the verse of the song(in notes) is: C  B  A  D  G  C
in the number system it would be:                   1  7  6   2   5  1
in the key of "C"

Let's say you change keys to "Bb"
Bb  C  D  Eb  F  G   A   B (playing the same verse)
1    2   3   4    5   6   7    8, the notes would be:Bb A G C F Bb
the numbers would be:(in the key of Bb)          1  7  6  2 5  1
The only thing that change in the number system is where  the "1" starts, notice that your finger pattern stays the same.

I hope this lesson is help full to someone please leave a comment   ::) ::) .

Peace!
The Number System, part 1
"Each One Teach One"

Offline Shribs

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Love god, Love people

Re: The Number System, Part 1
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 05:11:56 PM »
I think one of the most important part of understanding the number system is understanding the modes. None of it made sense to me until I understood the modes, which took a while to click in my mind in and of itself. Good work here sir.

Offline SPG

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 02:34:33 AM »
Thanks for the lesson, you just saved my mind (thought process was hurting, LOL) Praise God. Keep teaching. :D
P.S. You got jokes too. :)
Steven P. Gaddie, Sr

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 08:16:42 AM »
I think one of the most important part of understanding the number system is understanding the modes. None of it made sense to me until I understood the modes, which took a while to click in my mind in and of itself. Good work here sir.
Thanks Anthym, I think the modes, chords and inversion would be a little to much for some beginners,as an advance bass player if someone told you to play the progression:1 3 5 you would know that's:Ionian(major) Phrygian(minor) Mixolydian(major) and instead of playing single notes you would play arpeggios or chords and you would add your own flavor by playing different inversion of those arpeggios and chords.
If someone told a beginner to play a:1 3 5 in the key of "c" they can play single notes and be wright.Thanks for your feed back Anthym :) 
"Each One Teach One"

Offline Sadowsky1

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 02:31:29 PM »
No disrespect but it would it be easier to learn music theory. It is the right way to do what you are doing and much easier.

http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?p=free+music+theory+lessons

Be Blessed

James

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 04:09:23 PM »
No disrespect but it would it be easier to learn music theory. It is the right way to do what you are doing and much easier.

Be Blessed

James
Thanks for your feed back.
"Each One Teach One"

Offline sugerbear

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 04:57:07 PM »
arthur59,thanks for the lesson,I understood everything you were talkihg about.

How much I owe you for the lesson? $20.OO $30.OO, Very well done.

Offline Bass4God

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 08:04:47 PM »
Thanks man I appreciate the lesson if you are willing to teach I am willing to learn.
May God bless you for you caring and willingnes to help others grow.

Offline justbass

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 02:04:30 PM »
 This pass Sunday I played for A choir that I never played with B4, they song 2 selection that I never heard of,the keyboard player saw that I was lost so he started calling out numbers to help me out..I fell right in place. He just assume that I new the number system..and I did!

I think every Gospel musician should know the number system.
Hey man, give me that bass befor you hurt your self!!

Offline Shame218

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 06:19:58 PM »
WOW I GET IT THAT'S COOL

Offline jkbeckwith4

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 12:32:00 PM »
Thanks arthur59! Great lesson, thanks for the work you put into this. :)

Offline SavnBass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Saved by GRACE .. Bass by choice

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 11:41:26 PM »

Be Blessed

James

While I agree... that learning music theory would be better.. I find that the number system is a great way to help you out along the way. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me music is an ongoing thing... and learning music theory starts with the basics.. but to fully understand it and apply it correctly IMO takes time ... and we are all at different levels.. IMO the number system is a good way to allow you to function and learn the instrument in real time with actual playing while you are learning theory... 

Thanks for the tips Arthur..
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 05:21:24 AM »
While I agree... that learning music theory would be better.. I find that the number system is a great way to help you out along the way. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me music is an ongoing thing... and learning music theory starts with the basics.. but to fully understand it and apply it correctly IMO takes time ... and we are all at different levels.. IMO the number system is a good way to allow you to function and learn the instrument in real time with actual playing while you are learning theory...  

Thanks for the tips Arthur..
Your welcome SavnBass

The number system goes much deeper then what I explained in this lesson...before I take them (beginners) into deep water, they must enter shallow water first ;)
"Each One Teach One"

Offline Asahel

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 04:57:51 PM »
I'd like to post a few thoughts on what Arthur is doing...

1) While there are many videos out there, it's not always you can interact directly with the instructor (ask questions, advice, etc).
2) Arthur is one of our own (learngospelmusic).
3) I'm not to speak on Arthur's behalf, but if this is one way that God has laid on Arthur's heart that he should bless this community, then I by all means appreciate that.  I am learning formal theory too, but it never hurts to learn as much as possible.  I like the preparation and effort I see Arthur throwing into these lessons.

I have faith that God will somehow reward Arthur for his kindness.

Thanks Arthur!!!
Phillippians 1:6

Offline DocRoy

• LGM Member
    • Lakland Bass Guitars

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 08:51:18 PM »
I agree with Asahel 100%.

Arthur, you have truly been a Blessing and I want to encourage you and all of our adminstrators, that your efforts are not in vein.  we are learning and absorbing what you all have too offer.  While music theory is probably the best route to go, sometimes with life hectic schedules, family, church, work, school and so on, we just don't have time for anything else.  That why this forum was created to help each other. 

Finally, Arthur never grow weary in your well doing.  God has blessed you to blessed others.
I play Lakland Fretless 55-01 with Bartolini MK1 pickups & Active PreAmp. Gallien Krueger 1001RB Amp

Offline sugerbear

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 10:48:42 PM »

1) While there are many videos out there, it's not always you can interact directly with the instructor (ask questions, advice, etc).
3) I'm not to speak on Arthur's behalf, but if this is one way that God has laid on Arthur's heart that he should bless this community, then I by all means appreciate that.  I am learning formal theory too, but it never hurts to learn as much as possible.  I like the preparation and effort I see Arthur throwing into these lessons.

Thanks Arthur!!!
mm,Just who do this guy think he is, coming in here teaching me how to play by numbers,how to play scales using finger patterns,how to add colors to my bass playing,how to play modes, how to keep it simple,how to apply all this stuff to a song who is this guy!...HE'S ARTHUR59 and he was sent here to help "ME", because I was getting frustrated trying to learn how to play more then just the root note to a song.

Thank you Arthur59. ;)

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 09:49:22 PM »

Thanks Arthur!!!
Thank you Asahel for your kind words  :'(
"Each One Teach One"

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 09:54:10 PM »
I agree with Asahel 100%.

Arthur, you have truly been a Blessing and I want to encourage you and all of our adminstrators, that your efforts are not in vein.  we are learning and absorbing what you all have too offer.  While music theory is probably the best route to go, sometimes with life hectic schedules, family, church, work, school and so on, we just don't have time for anything else.  That why this forum was created to help each other. 

Finally, Arthur never grow weary in your well doing.  God has blessed you to blessed others.
Thank you Doc :)
"Each One Teach One"

Offline kingjames59

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 03:29:06 PM »
I love the number system, but I am having trouble transferring them into notes when my keyboard player yells them out. Help!

Offline justbass

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 11:29:20 AM »
Ready for part 2 of the number system. :)
Hey man, give me that bass befor you hurt your self!!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up