LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Number System, Part 1  (Read 28441 times)

Offline 5deep

• LGM Member

Re: The Number System, Part 1
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 03:23:10 PM »
Now I can understand what the keyboardist is talking about when he say play the 2 5 1 in the key of Db.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 10:22:09 PM »
bumping for newbies

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 05:55:52 PM »
bumping for newbies
WOW! that was about two years ago. I wonder should I review this lesson with the newbies, and should I post some new ones as well? 
"Each One Teach One"

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 09:53:30 PM »
WOW! that was about two years ago. I wonder should I review this lesson with the newbies, and should I post some new ones as well?

it can't hurt. I know personally I really liked when you posted videos and explained things. I just didn't like when I had to log into a completely different website to do everything that was a turn off for myself. But when you were posting stuff here it was great!

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2012, 05:45:31 PM »
it can't hurt. I know personally I really liked when you posted videos and explained things. I just didn't like when I had to log into a completely different website to do everything that was a turn off for myself. But when you were posting stuff here it was great!
Hey phbrown your not a newbie you should know all this stuff by now! :D :D.

If there's enough newbies who would be interested in me going over this, and posting more lessons I would be glad to I just need to know that there is a need! ?/?   
"Each One Teach One"

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »
Hey phbrown your not a newbie you should know all this stuff by now! :D :D.

LOL, I know and I do thanks to you and many others here on LGM.

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 10:48:27 PM »
LOL, I know and I do thanks to you and many others here on LGM.
There's a few good bass player here on LGM that don't mind taking the time to work with the newbies. It was hard for me growing up in the church trying to play bass, I never got help from the good bass players," My brother's in Christ" and they wouldn't help me when I ask them for help... LGM is a place were we help one another we have some pro bass players here that don't mind posting videos and giving advice, FOR FREE!! " EACH ONE TEACH ONE" :D
"Each One Teach One"

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 12:30:32 PM »
I love the number system, but I am having trouble transferring them into notes when my keyboard player yells them out. Help!

Just in case you (or anyone else) is struggling with this, the key is to learn your major scales. Whatever system you have of doing this, keep it up until you know them like the back of your hand.

I like to drill myself sometimes with major scales. I have a blank sheet of paper with the first note of each major scale listed. Then I time myself at how fast I can fill them in. I can list all 15 (12+3 enharmonics) in bout 5 minutes.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Bass4God

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 02:07:21 PM »
I'm an intermediate but I still need help with shout music, Can you help a brother out.

Thanks

Offline arthur59

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2012, 09:05:26 PM »
I love the number system, but I am having trouble transferring them into notes when my keyboard player yells them out. Help!
Are you still having trouble kingjames59?
"Each One Teach One"

Offline kingjames59

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 02:17:54 PM »
I got it!!!!  Thank you.

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 11:17:57 AM »
The number system is a method of writhing chord charts so that a song be discussed,arranged and performed in any key.in the number system numbers are assign to each step of the scale degree,the number represent chords or a single note,lets keep it simple and use single notes for now. Let's start with the key of  "C"

C   D   E   F   G   A   B   C
 1   2   3   4   5     6   7    8

Let;s say the verse of the song(in notes) is: C  B  A  D  G  C
in the number system it would be:                   1  7  6   2   5  1
in the key of "C"

Let's say you change keys to "Bb"
Bb  C  D  Eb  F  G   A   B (playing the same verse)
1    2   3   4    5   6   7    8, the notes would be:Bb A G C F Bb
the numbers would be:(in the key of Bb)          1  7  6  2 5  1
The only thing that change in the number system is where  the "1" starts, notice that your finger pattern stays the same.

I hope this lesson is help full to someone,please leave a comment   ::) ::) .

Peace!
The Number System, part 1
This lesson was very helpful,but my experience's with charts have never been in the No.System,you had to read the chart Note for Note ! which inturn was to read music, but this is still good info.

Offline sugerbear

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012, 07:45:15 PM »
I agree with Asahel 100%.

Arthur, you have truly been a Blessing and I want to encourage you and all of our adminstrators, that your efforts are not in vein.  we are learning and absorbing what you all have too offer.  While music theory is probably the best route to go, sometimes with life hectic schedules, family, church, work, school and so on, we just don't have time for anything else.  That why this forum was created to help each other. 

Finally, Arthur never grow weary in your well doing.  God has blessed you to blessed others.
[/quote Well said DocRoy!

Offline Fingers!

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2012, 01:02:08 AM »
This lesson was very helpful,but my experience's with charts have never been in the No.System,you had to read the chart Note for Note ! which inturn was to read music, but this is still good info.

This is also called "the Nashville System".  Studio musicians take their charts and immediately write the numbers down above the notes and hurry and get them to all musicians involved, sometimes right in the recording studio.  Look it up!

ehargravejr

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2012, 03:59:58 PM »
I'm an intermediate but I still need help with shout music, Can you help a brother out.

Thanks

Hey if you YouTube search Sean Byrd he is doing a free bass lesson starting with the shout groove, if you know your numbers it will lead you in the right direction, I am learning my numbers now and i feel like it just clicked everything that he was teaching is no longer foreign...Thanks Arthur59

ehargravejr

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2012, 05:18:14 PM »
Hey if you YouTube search Sean Byrd he is doing a free bass lesson starting with the shout groove, if you know your numbers it will lead you in the right direction, I am learning my numbers now and i feel like it just clicked everything that he was teaching is no longer foreign...Thanks Arthur59

hopefully this link works for you...

http://youtu.be/a2N5tcWBwYo

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2012, 08:53:02 PM »
Welcome t o the sit ehargravejr don't be a stranger and feel free to ask questions!

ehargravejr

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2012, 10:11:16 AM »
Welcome t o the sit ehargravejr don't be a stranger and feel free to ask questions!
Thanks for the welcome PHBrown, Im a fairly new bassist, discovered this site and learned so much in the first day...im really enjoying the unity here, and look forward to learning much more. ;D

Offline sugerbear

• LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2012, 09:00:35 PM »
Thanks for the welcome PHBrown, Im a fairly new bassist, discovered this site and learned so much in the first day...im really enjoying the unity here, and look forward to learning much more. ;D
Welcome!

Offline 5deep

• LGM Member

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2012, 07:34:51 AM »
ONCE AGAIN, THANK YOU!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up