LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tracks for worship  (Read 2376 times)

Offline APsalmist

• LGM Member

Tracks for worship
« on: March 10, 2011, 09:59:23 AM »
I saw this and thot it was worth posting.   :)

Here are some benefits of using tracks.

1. All of your singers know all of the words.
   2. All of your singers are on time to every rehearsal.
   3. All of your singers are singing the right part and have great pitch.
   4. All of your musicians know how to play all of the right chords.
   5. No musicians hold you hostage in rehearsals or service.
   6. No BAD attitudes!
   7.You can do all of the latest and greatest songs.

Offline raegenius

• LGM Member
  • just a pose

Re: Tracks for worship
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 12:06:18 PM »
What exactly do you mean by tracks?
Just listen!

blyempowered

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 12:10:25 PM »
What exactly do you mean by tracks?

Music without vocals.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 12:32:01 PM »
I saw this and thot it was worth posting.   :)

Here are some benefits of using tracks.

1. All of your singers know all of the words.
   2. All of your singers are on time to every rehearsal.
   3. All of your singers are singing the right part and have great pitch.
   4. All of your musicians know how to play all of the right chords.
   5. No musicians hold you hostage in rehearsals or service.
   6. No BAD attitudes!
   7.You can do all of the latest and greatest songs.

That last part is NOT true.  One would think that there would be MANY more tracks out there but, in fact, there are not. Furthermore, many of the tracks out there are not the ones that a lot of people even want, per se.

Signed,

A guy who uses tracks EVERY Sunday.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 03:21:36 PM »
The dark side of accompianment tracks (from one who uses them) -

1. CD players can skip, stutter and just plain refuse to cooperate.
2. Sound people have to be reminded - "Turn it up!" "Track 2!" etc.
3. Some singers and musicians get insulted, feel slighted and have an attitude w/background tracks.  I understand, they're not perfect, would rather use live music - but when there's no musicians, instruments, setup/practice time to learn, etc...
4. Singers and groups can lose their way - get ahead, behind, around the beat. Director can throw them off (yes, I have been guilty  :-[ ). Then we have to start over or wait for a place to come back in.
5.Like another poster said, the newest songs don't come out with backing tracks. Usually it's the older, out-of-style songs that have been covered by Daywind, etc.
6. Tracks are not always in the right key, rhythm, style, or song structure for your group. It's either conform to the CD or roll your own.
7.Lastly, a bad track can drag your singers down - and even one with excellent quality can show them up!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 04:59:25 PM »
The dark side of accompianment tracks (from one who uses them) -

1. CD players can skip, stutter and just plain refuse to cooperate.
2. Sound people have to be reminded - "Turn it up!" "Track 2!" etc.
3. Some singers and musicians get insulted, feel slighted and have an attitude w/background tracks.  I understand, they're not perfect, would rather use live music - but when there's no musicians, instruments, setup/practice time to learn, etc...
4. Singers and groups can lose their way - get ahead, behind, around the beat. Director can throw them off (yes, I have been guilty  :-[ ). Then we have to start over or wait for a place to come back in.
5.Like another poster said, the newest songs don't come out with backing tracks. Usually it's the older, out-of-style songs that have been covered by Daywind, etc.
6. Tracks are not always in the right key, rhythm, style, or song structure for your group. It's either conform to the CD or roll your own.
7.Lastly, a bad track can drag your singers down - and even one with excellent quality can show them up!

#2 irks my nerve. The guy who does our sound on Sundays has excellent hearing so everything, to him, is loud enough.  ::)

For #4, when that happens we just a capella and call it a day or go into exhortation.

Never really had an issue with #6 because if it ain't in a key that's comfortable for us, we just don't get to do the song.  :-\
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 11:30:32 AM »
#2 irks my nerve. The guy who does our sound on Sundays has excellent hearing so everything, to him, is loud enough.  ::)

And the sound levels are different for the platform, the audience, and the sound booth in the back. Our choir has been lining up in front of the stage (without mics) to sing - eventually I would like them to be w/overhead mics at the front of the platform...

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 12:16:16 PM »
And the sound levels are different for the platform, the audience, and the sound booth in the back. Our choir has been lining up in front of the stage (without mics) to sing - eventually I would like them to be w/overhead mics at the front of the platform...

Bruh, they've got to be singing their lungs out without mics.  :-\

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 09:09:31 AM »
Ok I must be reading the OP wrong. Y'all sure he's talking about having live singers use accompaniment tracks (music, no vocals)? I thought he was talking about just playing CDs w/ no BGVs.
How is it true that singers are always on time for rehearsal, always know the words, always know their parts, etc. just because you use a track?? I just don't get it.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 02:13:42 PM »
Ok I must be reading the OP wrong. Y'all sure he's talking about having live singers use accompaniment tracks (music, no vocals)? I thought he was talking about just playing CDs w/ no BGVs.
How is it true that singers are always on time for rehearsal, always know the words, always know their parts, etc. just because you use a track?? I just don't get it.

No, he's talking about playing CDs with BGVs. In this way, the singers are on time, know the lyrics, and know their parts because they are on the CD.

Again, think watchin' Ted Winn or Micah Stampley sing on TBN alone but they sounds exactly like their CD with no musicians and no background singers behind them.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 02:27:29 PM »
Yes, that's exactly what I thought he was talking about. Kinda. Lol.

When I said "with no bgvs" I meant that I thought they were just playing the full song as a regular consumer would buy and play in their iPod or car stereo... with no live BGVs singing along at church. Does that make sense?

My friend's former church didn't have a music dept at all, so they played CDs during the beginning of service. No P&W leader, team, MOM, musicians, etc. Just CDs. That's what I thought dude was saying.

Now at your chuRch, you do have singers, so still I wonder how does singing with a track guarantee that your singers are on time? Or was he just making a joke about the recorded BGVs always being on time?

*less confused, but still a lil lost* LOL
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 05:41:39 PM »
Yes, that's exactly what I thought he was talking about. Kinda. Lol.

When I said "with no bgvs" I meant that I thought they were just playing the full song as a regular consumer would buy and play in their iPod or car stereo... with no live BGVs singing along at church. Does that make sense?

My friend's former church didn't have a music dept at all, so they played CDs during the beginning of service. No P&W leader, team, MOM, musicians, etc. Just CDs. That's what I thought dude was saying.

Now at your chuRch, you do have singers, so still I wonder how does singing with a track guarantee that your singers are on time? Or was he just making a joke about the recorded BGVs always being on time?

*less confused, but still a lil lost* LOL

Yes, a joke about the recorded BGVs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up