LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Top Gospel Choirs of all times  (Read 24722 times)

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Top Gospel Choirs of all times
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 01:48:18 PM »
How the heck did we forget Having You There? That, along with Hold On, Old Soldier, is my favorite MMC song! I lovvvvve the lead's facial expressions!!! (I mean, who DIDN'T love her facial expressions?) :D :D :D

I like the part when her voice gets real low when she's saying "Having you there...made the diffe-runce." That part used to send me slap IN! Folks don't sing with that kind of feeling no more.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 01:51:54 PM »
I like the part when her voice gets real low when she's saying "Having you there...made the diffe-runce." That part used to send me slap IN! Folks don't sing with that kind of feeling no more.

Right!!! You mean the part right before she utters those lines that no one has been able to figure out for the last 20 years! LOL!!!  :D :D :D

We used to sing "having you there, made the diffa-runce, mumma mumma ranging, doo doo yoo nah mah tonks la fied, gave me strength and courage because you are standing by...."
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

blyempowered

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 01:53:52 PM »
LOL I love "Having you there"

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 01:57:20 PM »
Having you there oh oh oh oh makes the diffa runce the diffa runce the diffa RUNCE... I thank you for your mercy, and I thank you for your grace, there is no other one who can [squall] EVVVVVVVER [/squall] take your place. When my friends walk out, YOU step right in. You've always been with me, through the [squall] THICK [/squall] and the thin...."
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline MissMusic04

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2011, 01:58:31 PM »
Right!!! You mean the part right before she utters those lines that no one has been able to figure out for the last 20 years! LOL!!!  :D :D :D

We used to sing "having you there, made the diffa-runce, mumma mumma ranging, doo doo yoo nah mah tonks la fied, gave me strength and courage because you are standing by...."

LMBO!!!!  :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2011, 02:04:23 PM »

Yes!! ROFL!!!

And I forgot about Kirk Franklin and the Family. I'm not sure if they were considered a "choir", but they definitely brought some choir hits.

I love the way Donald Lawrence interprets popular r&b cuts. Here's a recent one of him and his choir (or "company") singing "Through The Fire" by Chaka Khan. I heard it's gonna be on their latest CD. They did "Happy Being Me" by Angie Stone on their last album.

Donald Lawrence & Co Through The Fire The Brat PAck Reunion

Offline MissMusic04

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2011, 02:09:09 PM »
Yes!! ROFL!!!

And I forgot about Kirk Franklin and the Family. I'm not sure if they were considered a "choir", but they definitely brought some choir hits.

I love the way Donald Lawrence interprets popular r&b cuts. Here's a recent one of him and his choir (or "company") singing "Through The Fire" by Chaka Khan. I heard it's gonna be on their latest CD. They did "Happy Being Me" by Angie Stone on their last album.

Donald Lawrence & Co Through The Fire The Brat PAck Reunion

Forgot about "The Family" also. They were good too. Wonderful vocals! Nice arrangments!

LOVE THAT VIDEO!!! Those voices are on point!

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2011, 02:10:41 PM »
Okay just for the record, Through the Fire is one of my all-time secular faves.... so there is never any way possible on earth in this life that I'll EVER be able to listen to this song and think about Jesus. Never. Not ever.

This song actually makes me think about a guy named David. Not Jesus.

But I'm finna press play anyway.... hehehehe

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2011, 02:29:02 PM »
Okay.... now...

I've made it clear in times past that I'm a big DL fan. I've defended him here (and elsewhere) when people have tried to Osteenize him and say his music isn't Biblical or it's too soft and not "gloomy and doomy" enough, etc... I love DL. Now that we've established that, I can say....

I do NOT like the idea of him doing Through the Fire. That's just going too far. I listened to it and I don't hear anything that makes me think of Jesus at all. I cannot ever see myself lifting my hands to that, getting teary eyed, being moved, bowing, kneeling, or anything else... all I can see is me closing my eyes, smiling and rocking back and forth thinking about some dude....

Now you younger folks may be able to receive that song a little better because you're not familiar (or not AS familiar) with the original.... but if you're anywhere in your 30s or older... wait, let's say if you're over 26 ;)... you can't possibly hear that song and think Jesus.

Next thing you know, he'll be singing:

Lemme hear you tell me you love me
Lemme hear you say you'll never leave me
Ohhh Lord that would make me feel so nice
Lemme hear you tell me you want me
Lemme hear you say you'll never leave me Jesus until the morning light

Your touch is wonderful
Your love is so marvelous
Joy that's what I feel when I'm with you...

You know how many saints would be poppin out babies 9 mos after that one came out???   :o ::) :D

Offline favoritepsalm1

• LGM Member
  • Future Minstrels & Levites
    • http://anointed2do.wordpress.com

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2011, 02:45:32 PM »
Man, ya'll are taking me back!  I'm going to have to make myself a "choir hits" playlist!

I remember "Shout" by the Tommies being one of the first times I REALLY appreciated a horn arrangement in a song

"Jesus Rose" always set it off in my little church in Seneca, SC. 

"He can fix what is broke" by MMC would be on that playlist too.

I'm going to have to give my 1A and 1B to the Tri-City Singers and O'Landa Draper and the Associates.  Both choirs set new standards with their styles.  The harmonies, musicianship, dynamics, and just the great songwriting of Tri-City just sets them apart.  And if O'Landa Draper wouldn't have passed early in life, they'd still be going strong today.  The power and discipline of that choir, along with the showmanship of Mr. Draper puts them at the top of my list.

blyempowered

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2011, 02:56:41 PM »
Kirk Franklin and the family's time was too short. Would have loved to see them last longer.

Offline MissMusic04

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 03:08:13 PM »
Man, ya'll are taking me back!  I'm going to have to make myself a "choir hits" playlist!

I remember "Shout" by the Tommies being one of the first times I REALLY appreciated a horn arrangement in a song

"Jesus Rose" always set it off in my little church in Seneca, SC. 

"He can fix what is broke" by MMC would be on that playlist too.

I'm going to have to give my 1A and 1B to the Tri-City Singers and O'Landa Draper and the Associates.  Both choirs set new standards with their styles.  The harmonies, musicianship, dynamics, and just the great songwriting of Tri-City just sets them apart.  And if O'Landa Draper wouldn't have passed early in life, they'd still be going strong today.  The power and discipline of that choir, along with the showmanship of Mr. Draper puts them at the top of my list.

Yes!! Gosh, I love that song. This choir talk is getting me excited too!

People are always talking about
How they crucified my Lord.
Yes, they're always singing a song
of how they whipped Him all night long.
He's in me today and He's steady making a way
for me to enjoy abundant life.
If you don't know by now,
if you don't know by now,
Jesus rose and He liiiiives.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 03:27:17 PM »
JESUS ROSE!!!!!!! FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My church choir revived that back in 2002 and OH EMM GEE... we tore that song UP!!!! I wouldn't mind singing it again. I wanna be in a choir so badly. :'(

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 03:45:35 PM »
What about Timothy Wright and New York Restoration? Thomas Whitfield? Marvin Winans and Perfected Praise?

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 04:01:34 PM »
NY Restoration was Donnie McClurkin's choir. Timothy Wright had NY Fellowship Mass Choir.

Though I love both, neither of them make my top 10. I also love Marvin Winans & Perfected Praise and Ron Winans & Family and Friends (and Edwin Hawkins & Music and Arts Seminar Choir, who I really struggled to leave off of my top 10 - but decided against it bc it wasn't really a choir anyway).

Speaking of NYers, though, Eric McDaniel & Bronx Mass is another one worth honorable mention. His stuff didn't get much national attention, but it was good enough to. I guess he just never got a good distribution deal.

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2011, 04:10:46 PM »
This reminds me of a funny Y!Church moment when someone was playing "Lord Do It" by Hezekiah Walker w/ Kirvy Brown on lead, and I was like "Man, that woman is tearing that song up." Yall were stunned that I thought Kirvy was a female vocalist all of this time. I think I lost a lot of Gospel credentials that night.

Anyone remember when Shirley Caesar ALWAYS had the hottest choir backing up her up? She had everyone from The Thompson Community Singers to Love Fellowship. You could always tell who was hot at the time by who Shirley had singing on her records.

Offline blessedwoman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I am who God says I am

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2011, 04:18:08 PM »
They didn't get much shine and I don't know nearly half as much about choirs as you guys do, but I loved Craig Hayes and The United Voices "Bright Glory" album.

I know all the songs you guys mentioned, but I didn't know which choir sung what with a lot of the songs so this thread helped me out a lot.
Did you feed your spirit man today?

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2011, 04:30:56 PM »

"When the storms of life are raging, and the billows are tossing high"  ?/?  That's what I always thought it was...

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2011, 04:34:05 PM »
Yeah Nessa, that's it. I actually googled it right after I posted that bc I realized that whatever she was singing, the choir was singing too, so it had to be included in the lyrics. ;D

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2011, 04:41:01 PM »
We just brought back, "I Come to Give You Life"  I have no idea if that's actually the title, or who sings it.  I didn't care much for it as a kid, but I think the nostalgia made me like it, lol.  It was exciting to see some of the same songs that we did in Utah were being done in NV, made me feel closer to these people, lol.

Didn't get the same feeling when we did "Oh How Precious" in a mass choir for a church reunion... everybody there wanted to teach it a different way... UGH!  We never did sing it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up