LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I listen for the root..Part II  (Read 2519 times)

Offline jamesearljonesjr

• LGM Member

Should I listen for the root..Part II
« on: December 05, 2003, 11:37:17 PM »
Quote from: Juvenile
Im trying to teach myself to recognise minor chords, should I
try and pickout the root of the chord. I can tell whether a chord is maj/minor
or diminished.

The way I interpret your question is, "How can I recognize a minor
chord when I hear it"
[/i]  if that is your questions, then let me ask you
this; how do you recognize a Major chord?  or an Augmented? or a Dimnished chord? I could try to describe each one with a words like Bright or Happy or Sad and that might work for basic chords, but what about more complex chords?

The ultimate answer is you need to sit down at the piano and play these chords and listen, really listen, to the sound of each one.  When you listen
try to hear whats common and different in each one.  Get some paper and wite down, in your own words, how they sound to you.  Once you've put some time in listening then you should be able to recognize the chord when you hear it.

Try this exercise:

The goal of this exercise for you to be able to recognize these basic
chords.

1. Play these chords:
 C Major (1 3 5 or C E G)
 C Minor ((1 b3 5 or C Eb G)
 C Diminished (1 b3 b5 or C Eb Gb)
 C Augmented (1 3 5+ or C E G#)
 C Suspended (1 4 5 or C F G)

2. Hold each one for 5 or 6 seconds or as long as you need to to hear whats going on.

3. Take 4 or 5 seconds of silence between each chord to clear your head and make sure you don't get caught up in the chord progression and are listening to each chord.

4. Get some paper and wite down, in a few words, how each type of chord (Maj, Min, Aug, Dim) sounds to you.

When you finish go to THIS WEBSITE[/color] and test yourself.

Once you have it down then try it these same exercises in all 12 keys.  To keep it interesting try it in this order; C G D A E B Gb Db Ab Eb Bb F (Cycle of 5ths).

Good luck, Hope this helps.

Offline Juvenile

• LGM Member

Should I listen for the root..Part II
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 03:43:35 PM »
thanks bro,

****, the sus chord sounds so sweet, I get the feeling that when I get fluent I'm gonna sus everything...lol

Ive been practising on that site all day, I can almost recognise a dim, and aug 100% of the time but 4 some reason Im having probs with minor chords, major I sometimes get abit guessy. Its the first time Im trying today,so in a weeks time I should be better.

How good are you at it, I need something to aim for. Is it within reason to target 4 amost 100% recognition within 2 weeks.
Lord help me learn the piano.
Pages: [1]   Go Up