LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Singers who change keys on you during the song  (Read 6731 times)

Offline bug

• LGM Member
  • Best teacher is one who makes you want to learn.
    • http://Music Services

Singers who change keys on you during the song
« on: April 23, 2011, 05:45:55 PM »
How do you follow singers who change tonality in the middle of the tune? Likewise singers who loose time.
The greatest mistake most amateur musicians make is giving up.  Don't give up !!!

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

Re: Singers who change keys on you during the song
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 03:00:02 PM »
I get angry >:( >:( >:( >:( Just kidding! I try to change the key with em by adding a modulation chord. Or if I can't catch them I just keep playing. Some people just sing without thinking about which key is which. I've had a lady change keys like 5 times on me and she wasn't really trying to...she just couldn't stay on one key. I'm sure you can get a better answer from a more trained musician, I just wanted to put my two cents in ;D
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline raegenius

• LGM Member
  • just a pose

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 09:13:17 PM »
I don't consider myself a "more trained musician" but from my experience just try to find the key to which they went, if they went wayy off. If they go off by a semi-tone/half-step, I would wait until the end of the line to make it seem like a seemless transition. Also as chevonee mentioned a transition chord is good to use. So for example if they were singing in C and then their voice is drifting into Db, play the tranistion chord at a suitable point (for me end of line or verse or chorus).
C/C-E-G  //in key of C
Ab/Db-Gb-Bb  //Transition chord to Db which is V(5) of new key in left hand and 4Maj in right.
Db/Db-F-Ab   //in key of Db
Just listen!

Offline Ephraim Elisha Atinyo

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 03:11:24 AM »
Please can someone help me with some tritone substitution chords for all the major scales. From 1 to 7.

Offline Ephraim Elisha Atinyo

• LGM Member

Chord progressions.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 03:15:36 AM »
Please can someone help me with some tritone substitution chords for all the major scales. From 1 to 7.

Offline cas10a

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 01:55:14 PM »
If a singer is constantly changing keys during a song unwarranted...You don't try to keep changing with them, you let them go and lay out.  Either wait until they are steady again or let them go acappella for the song until you can catch them at the end.  It sounds much worse, if you are trying to find the key playing along and they keep switching up again and again.  You can try to play broken phrases/chords to keep it going accompanying, but it's sometimes best to just let it go; if you just stop on a phrase at the right point/time it may even sound as if the change was suppose to happen rather than making a mess with trying to play catch up and follow the key.

Offline cas10a

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 02:38:54 PM »
I'll even put it in more reasonable terms...sometimes if you don't know the answer to a question, it's best to just say, I don't have the answer and don't know the answer, let it go....same applies to music, it only makes it worse if you try to respond when you don't know the answer/key and where the singer is going.  Oh and let me say this is in no way is a disagreement to what chevonnee and raegenius said...chevonee is a seasoned muscisian at this point and can most likely find the key quickly, even though she is always humble and so can and is raegenius, I'm just using the above as a metaphor.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 01:49:03 PM »
Stop playing. The end!!!
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline mokinoko

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 04:37:35 AM »
I have said before that it is very useful to me and I hope that it will be useful to many people as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up