LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play during Prayer?  (Read 8462 times)

Offline dynasty242k

• LGM Member

Play during Prayer?
« on: May 03, 2011, 02:05:34 AM »
Hey LGM Fam, i looking for different opinions, how do you feel about playing your instruments during Prayer time during service. Is that ok with you or do u believe that there shouldn't be anything going on during prayer except prayer

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Re: Play during Prayer?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 02:21:23 AM »
That depends on what your pastor wants.

I always play something soft on the organ during prayer

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 05:22:13 AM »
I have to agree with U13, it depends on the pastor. We play something during prayer always.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline ilovetosingforgod

• LGM Member
  • Living for God!!

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 08:25:49 AM »
 ;D
I think music during prayer is awesome....
It lifts the spirit....It really soothing to my spirit.....
The Jesus in me Loves the Jesus in you!!!

Offline ilovetosingforgod

• LGM Member
  • Living for God!!

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 09:21:23 AM »
Even though I do play during prayer if the pianist is not playing with a lot of rubato, I do find that it is kind of distracting for me to play, and I tend to focus on the music rather than the prayer. If I'm not playing, then I can focus on the prayer.

I do see where you are coming from....too....its the music and the loudness softly it my prefeence soft enough to hear the prayer.
The Jesus in me Loves the Jesus in you!!!

blyempowered

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 09:53:24 AM »
I do.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 10:25:06 AM »
We always play during prayer time.
Granted, I always try to pick out a song that is going to compliment the time. It's usually a softer song, mid or slow tempo, and might even be lyrically relevant.
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 11:01:04 AM »
During prayer, etc...Maybe one instrument, like keys, guitar or organ...not the whole band, IMO.

This is a hard one for me, since my Pastor wants me to play during opening prayer, offering. The trouble is that my keyboard is wired into the system, and I am afraid that the volume is too high during times when elders, deacons in the congregation are speaking without a mike. Have tried turning my volume down, but the sound guys might turn it up. So lately I have been playing on a second smaller keyboard that has its own amp...

;)

Offline Ladyn

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 08:05:02 AM »
During prayer, etc...Maybe one instrument, like keys, guitar or organ...not the whole band, IMO.

This is a hard one for me, since my Pastor wants me to play during opening prayer, offering. The trouble is that my keyboard is wired into the system, and I am afraid that the volume is too high during times when elders, deacons in the congregation are speaking without a mike. Have tried turning my volume down, but the sound guys might turn it up. So lately I have been playing on a second smaller keyboard that has its own amp...

;)

Explain to your sound guy that during prayer he should turn you down. Then make sure he turns you back up during the rest of the service though. That is what our sound man does. I find that it is the  best approach to get the sound man involved in the workings of the praise and worship so that he is aware of how what he does affects the overall flow of the service.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 04:52:24 PM »
I prefer to play and the pastor most definitely wants me to play.
I know that one or two members might give me a weird eye, but I tell them after the service the importance of playing during prayer. Like others have mentioned, the playing must enhance rather than compete with the prayer.

Regarding the sound controller issue- back at home I was mainly doing sound- I learnt that the sound control team needs to always be observing signals from the stage and from the musicians, and also understand BASIC CHURCH RULES/ PREFERENCES [eg, during prayer, reduce music volume or mute music volume, depending on church directive etc]
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 09:51:12 AM »
Explain to your sound guy that during prayer he should turn you down. Then make sure he turns you back up during the rest of the service though. That is what our sound man does. I find that it is the  best approach to get the sound man involved in the workings of the praise and worship so that he is aware of how what he does affects the overall flow of the service.

Very true....

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 11:24:46 AM »
yeh, depends.

I used to serve at a church where he definitely wanted me to play, and now where i am the pastor doesn't.

Offline choirchick

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 12:11:19 PM »
I think music during prayer is awesome, but I also feel that it's good to the give your musicians an opportunity to receive prayer. Sometimes, we play a "Worship CD" during altar call so that the musicians can get prayer without an interruption in the music being played. Some churches also have smaller staffs where the musicians are also ministers and deacons who do the laying hands during prayer.

MrSparrow06

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 07:33:38 PM »
I always play... It's kinda weird not playing...

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 08:52:45 AM »
We always play during prayer time.
Granted, I always try to pick out a song that is going to compliment the time. It's usually a softer song, mid or slow tempo, and might even be lyrically relevant.

I play heavy metal/ rock stuff to keep the congregation awake....lol

It's always soft. This week I travelled and went home. After the service, i received a call from one of the guys at church. He complained that something was missing during prayer and preaching.
So when people are used to something- they notice when it is not there...

Offline raegenius

• LGM Member
  • just a pose

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2011, 04:11:39 PM »
I play heavy metal/ rock stuff to keep the congregation awake....lol

Very funny. I  play, try to keep it as low as possible, one thing out of place and you can feel the eyes shifting.
Just listen!

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 08:55:20 AM »
Very funny. I  play, try to keep it as low as possible, one thing out of place and you can feel the eyes shifting.

It's funny how people react when you make a slight "mistake"- you'd think they're there to listen to the music versus pray/ focus on the sermon.

Offline gospeluuke

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 01:36:34 PM »
what progressions or songs do you all seem to play during prayer? I don't mean to change the topic, just curious. I see a lot of comments saying something slow to mid tempo and softly played.
Live love and act like a Champion!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 01:29:38 PM »
what progressions or songs do you all seem to play during prayer? I don't mean to change the topic, just curious. I see a lot of comments saying something slow to mid tempo and softly played.

4-5-6 is a progression I've recently used a lot. Of course, I varied the chords and tempos (and keys lol) I used, but the progression pretty much remained the same. Sometimes I'll take part of a song (usually the vamp) and repeat the chords, improvising as I go.

Then there are times when I start playing, then my mom jumps in and starts singing a whole different song in a whole different key and breaks my flow, lol. At those times, I'm forced to go along with what she's singing.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline lorettac

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 10:01:10 AM »
I think music during prayer is awesome, but I also feel that it's good to the give your musicians an opportunity to receive prayer. Sometimes, we play a "Worship CD" during altar call so that the musicians can get prayer without an interruption in the music being played. Some churches also have smaller staffs where the musicians are also ministers and deacons who do the laying hands during prayer.

Same here, we play a "worship CD". We have a prayer room for the ladies and one for the men, but some prefer to stay in the sanctuary and pray. We play a CD in the ladies prayer room and in the sanctuary.
Another point is that some people don't like to hear theirself pray out loud, so the music makes them more comfortable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up