LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The LGM Book Club  (Read 29952 times)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

The LGM Book Club
« on: May 03, 2011, 06:12:26 AM »
Okay, so it's not really a book club, but I thought that would be a cool thread title, so...  :-\ ;D :D

A couple of us are joining in to read and discuss a book (info below). I'm not quite sure how we'll do it, whether in a thread or on the phone, chapter by chapter, or just one discussion at the end. But I wanted to make sure everyone is invited to join in with us (for now, I think "us" is just Nessa, Churchy and me, but you're all welcome). The more insight and perspectives we get, the better. And actually, if it works out well and proves to be a pleasant experience, we may actually be able to work out an LGM Book Club!  :-\

We're starting the book on or around Monday, May 16th, and I guess we can use this thread to figure out how/when/where we're going to discuss it.

You're welcome to join us!

-------------------------------------------------

Pagan Christianity: Exploring the Roots of Our Church Practices
by Frank Viola and George Barna
Available on Amazon.com (hardcover) for $12.23 (used copies from $7.00) or at your local Christian bookstore

About the book:
Have you ever wondered why we Christians do what we do for church every Sunday morning? Why do we “dress up” for church? Why does the pastor preach a sermon each week? Why do we have pews, steeples, choirs, and seminaries? This volume reveals the startling truth: most of what Christians do in present-day churches is not rooted in the New Testament, but in rituals developed long after the death of the apostles. Coauthors Frank Viola and George Barna support their thesis with compelling historical evidence in the first-ever book to document the full story of modern Christian church practices.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

Re: The LGM Book Club
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 07:07:26 AM »
WOOT! my public library has this book ... however there is a 16 day wait ... so I will be a day or two behind you guys.

blyempowered

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 07:07:42 AM »
Maybe we could read to a certain point and then discuss. For example, all could read maybe the first 5 chapters by that Wed or Thurs then discuss here in the thread.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 07:18:11 AM »
It is a very interesting idea, and i would love to join, but those international, long-distance charges are a killer!
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

blyempowered

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 07:28:45 AM »
There are 12 chapters. Here's a proposed schedule:

May 16-19: Read chapters 1-4; May 20: Discuss in thread.

May 21-24: Read chapters 5-8; May 25: Discuss in thread.

May 26-29: Read chapters 9-12 and afterword; May 30: Discuss in thread.

:)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 07:41:04 AM »
Yayyyy PHB!!! Now all you have to do is head into the 3rd room on your right and the nice young lady in white will prick your finger and give you the contract to sign. :)

@Fenix, well we can discuss online in a thread (or even via Skype, if everyone has one). If you ARE interested, I'm thinking a thread might work best for you, with the 5+ hour time difference.

@Churchy, sounds like a great plan to me. Thanks for putting it together. Just as a heads up, no matter how good a book it is, I tend to struggle big time with my focus when I'm reading anything non-fictional. :-[ :-\ :( I'll try to stick to the schedule, but I may fall behind a day or two (unless it's just an unexpectedly brilliant read).
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

blyempowered

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 07:43:59 AM »
It's all good!! You're welcome!!

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 07:44:55 AM »
@Churchy, sounds like a great plan to me. Thanks for putting it together. Just as a heads up, no matter how good a book it is, I tend to struggle big time with my focus when I'm reading anything non-fictional. :-[ :-\ :( I'll try to stick to the schedule, but I may fall behind a day or two (unless it's just an unexpectedly brilliant read).

This.  But Im down for the cause.  Wheres the best place to get it?
Praise Him!

blyempowered

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 07:47:36 AM »
I meant to add in the schedule around chapter 1 to make sure we read the introduction and definitions.

So excited!!!

*in the voice of Bart Scott* CAN'T WAIT!!!

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 07:50:44 AM »
Sounds like an interesting read.  I just downloaded it.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 07:53:48 AM »
@Fenix, well we can discuss online in a thread (or even via Skype, if everyone has one). If you ARE interested, I'm thinking a thread might work best for you, with the 5+ hour time difference.

I am interested, however the book is non-fictional so i tend to struggle with those. :) I think we may need to spread out the chapters a bit more. Churchy's schedule looks really tight. :)

A thread would work best. As it is, i suspect most people won't have time for a Skype conference until late at night ( maybe 8pm-9pm US time, which is about 3am UK time). That just doesn't work for me.

blyempowered

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 08:00:49 AM »
This.  But Im down for the cause.  Wheres the best place to get it?

I got mine via amazon.

Sounds like an interesting read.  I just downloaded it.

Cool!

I am interested, however the book is non-fictional so i tend to struggle with those. :) I think we may need to spread out the chapters a bit more. Churchy's schedule looks really tight. :)

A thread would work best. As it is, i suspect most people won't have time for a Skype conference until late at night ( maybe 8pm-9pm US time, which is about 3am UK time). That just doesn't work for me.

Yeah I'm in favor of thread discussion. And it's mainly a chapter (give or take introduction/definitions at beginning and afterword at end) a day.....LOL! You can do it!  :D

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
I got mine via amazon.

Cool!

Yeah I'm in favor of thread discussion. And it's mainly a chapter (give or take introduction/definitions at beginning and afterword at end) a day.....LOL! You can do it!  :D

Uh, people have things to do (well, maybe not you----j/k) so a chapter a day may not be feasible.

I'm interested, though.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

blyempowered

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 08:11:58 AM »
Uh, people have things to do (well, maybe not you----j/k) so a chapter a day may not be feasible.

I'm interested, though.

LOL!

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 08:15:21 AM »
I thought I was the only one who thought that schedule was a bit aggressive. LOL! Churchy, maybe we can do something that looks like 3-4 chapters a week? Plus, that'll give the speed readers some time to digest what they're reading?

@BBG, I got mine from Amazon, too. Your local library may have it, and I'm sure your local Christian bookstore will have it.

blyempowered

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 08:18:39 AM »
I thought I was the only one who thought that schedule was a bit aggressive. LOL! Churchy, maybe we can do something that looks like 3-4 chapters a week? Plus, that'll give the speed readers some time to digest what they're reading?

@BBG, I got mine from Amazon, too. Your local library may have it, and I'm sure your local Christian bookstore will have it.

LOL! Wait I thought that schedule did look like 3-4 chapters a week....haha! #ohwell

Let me do another proposal then...hahaha!

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 08:23:48 AM »
Or maybe we can keep the same schedule and just ask if people need more time before the discussion date? Kinda taking it on a week-by-week basis?

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 08:25:44 AM »
Approximately how long is each chapter?

blyempowered

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 08:29:47 AM »
@LaRue I like that.

@Fenix the longest chapter is 2 with about 25-30 pages. The other chapters are about 15-20 pages on average.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 08:38:47 AM »
@Fenix the longest chapter is 2 with about 25-30 pages. The other chapters are about 15-20 pages on average.

Then it is just not possible for me to do 3-4 chapters a week. :)

1 - 2 is perfect.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up