LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The LGM Book Club  (Read 29526 times)

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

Re: The LGM Book Club
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2011, 12:33:35 AM »
I gave up on that one.  Somewhere there's a disconnect...

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2011, 05:05:05 AM »
So, umm, exactly what constitutes a "full meal"?
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2011, 06:41:33 AM »

In. deed. :D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2011, 07:55:12 AM »
On another note, I just want to briefly point out how important it is to rightly divide and properly digest what we read - in this book and any other. It's bound to challenge our ideologies and perspectives, but it's not a Bible - it's the opinion (albeit a learned opinion) of two human beings. Digestion involves absorbing nutrients and vitamins to put them to good use, and excreting waste and toxins to rid the body of junk.

On the subject of communion, Churchy, where did you get that notion? Just curious. That is new to me; I've never heard anyone suggest that before.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

blyempowered

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2011, 08:10:58 AM »
@LaRue here's my thing. In the protestant tradition we take communion (bread and wine representative of body and blood of the Lord) and treat it without the meal. I believe (based on Acts 2:42-47) and the Lord's supper that the communion practice was done as an extension of the meal, NOT so much just bread and wine. In other words, I just believe that if communion is done biblically, the meal will be a part of the Communion celebration. So everyone eats the meal and then at the end do the bread and the wine and maybe do that before dessert...LOL! But seriously, idk that's just my interpretation based on scripture and some research regarding communion of Early Church. :-\

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2011, 08:30:28 AM »
Ok I can't really dig in the way I would want to (because I'm on the train and I only have my small pocket Bible with me and my Bible app - and neither one will do), but Acts 2:42-47 doesn't give instruction or even precedent for communion. I remember that because I was just studying Acts 2 the other day.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2011, 08:38:03 AM »
But what if i consider a little bit of bread and a thimble-ful of grape juice a meal?

Im sorry man, but i just do not see it in Acts 2: 42-47. At every instance, it is only talking about the "breaking of bread", which is something Jesus did AFTER he had the last supper.

OK, i think we need to be careful when reading this book. The problem i have found ouyt, mainly from personal experience, is that people don't read these types of books without an objective mind-set. You need to take what the author is saying and test it and research his claims, rather than just swallowing it hook, line, and sinker.

blyempowered

« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2011, 08:41:51 AM »
But what if i consider a little bit of bread and a thimble-ful of grape juice a meal?

Im sorry man, but i just do not see it in Acts 2: 42-47. At every instance, it is only talking about the "breaking of bread", which is something Jesus did AFTER he had the last supper.

OK, i think we need to be careful when reading this book. The problem i have found ouyt, mainly from personal experience, is that people don't read these types of books without an objective mind-set. You need to take what the author is saying and test it and research his claims, rather than just swallowing it hook, line, and sinker.

And this is why many believe that the end of the day it doesn't matter how you do it as long as you do it somehow (pragmatism).  :-\

But yeah, this book is going to SERIOUSLY challenge some traditional ideologies about certain things from the pulpit to dressing up in church, etc. It's going to have to be a book in which you can look at their stuff and be very empirical about it!

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2011, 08:45:09 AM »
And this is why many believe that the end of the day it doesn't matter how you do it as long as you do it somehow (pragmatism).  :-\

But yeah, this book is going to SERIOUSLY challenge some traditional ideologies about certain things from the pulpit to dressing up in church, etc. It's going to have to be a book in which you can look at their stuff and be very empirical AND OBJECTIVE about it!

blyempowered

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2011, 08:45:50 AM »
Absolutely!

blyempowered

« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2011, 08:52:53 AM »
I want in.....I've gotta see can I purchase the book today. Will someone please remind me of the schedule please? I've got so many things going on right now and I don't want to forget. I hope my ADD doesn't get in the way of my participation... :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ ;D ;D ;D ;D

We start May 16 and most likely someone will bring the schedule back up when it's time to get started (probably the Friday before).

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2011, 09:03:47 AM »

And that Nessa is why I hope you are able to find time to read just one chapter and discuss it with us. but I understand if you can't ... btw did you take that picture?!?! *heads off to the CS thread*

In. deed. :D

+1

+1

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2011, 09:40:55 AM »
On another note, I just want to briefly point out how important it is to rightly divide and properly digest what we read - in this book and any other. It's bound to challenge our ideologies and perspectives, but it's not a Bible - it's the opinion (albeit a learned opinion) of two human beings. Digestion involves absorbing nutrients and vitamins to put them to good use, and excreting waste and toxins to rid the body of junk.

Bingo.

But yeah, this book is going to SERIOUSLY challenge some traditional ideologies about certain things from the pulpit to dressing up in church, etc. It's going to have to be a book in which you can look at their stuff and be very empirical about it!

I typed a reply, but I'm gonna just let it ride...

I'll just say this. Churchy, with all due respect, that first sentence is... so.... random and irrelevant and disjointed...

It's like this:

Sue: This is why I assert that tomatoes are not really a fruit, but a vegetable.

Mike: Well, I disagree with that. Tomatoes have seeds, which make them a fruit.

Sue: This is why many believe that at the end of the day it doesn't matter how you view it...

Mike:  ?/?

blyempowered

« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2011, 09:43:03 AM »
LOL! Oh Lawd!

*puts up slavery finger and exits the building*

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2011, 09:46:56 AM »
OK, i think we need to be careful when reading this book. The problem i have found ouyt, mainly from personal experience, is that people don't read these types of books without WITH an objective mind-set. You need to take what the author is saying and test it and research his claims, rather than just swallowing it hook, line, and sinker.

Ok i made a mistake when typing this. The above correction is what i meant to say.

Tiptip357

« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2011, 10:05:39 AM »
   I think I have this book.  I'm in!!!  :)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2011, 10:07:41 AM »
Get ready to mark down this date in the LGM annuals as I'm about to give him a compliment:

I'm impressed with Churchy. He's standing his ground this time which is unusual for him (at least, when I read some of his posts).

Now, he's wronger than two left shoes (or, my using the word 'wronger') but at least he's standing firm in his assertion.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

blyempowered

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2011, 10:13:42 AM »
   I think I have this book.  I'm in!!!  :)

YAY!!!
Get ready to mark down this date in the LGM annuals as I'm about to give him a compliment:

I'm impressed with Churchy. He's standing his ground this time which is unusual for him (at least, when I read some of his posts).

Now, he's wronger than two left shoes (or, my using the word 'wronger') but at least he's standing firm in his assertion.

Well thanks professor....LOL!

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2011, 10:16:59 AM »
Wow!! Welcome back, TipTip! It's really SO good to see you! I just mentioned the other day that I missed you (it wassome old thread where you were cutting up as usual... lol)

Tiptip357

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2011, 10:27:46 AM »
Wow!! Welcome back, TipTip! It's really SO good to see you! I just mentioned the other day that I missed you (it wassome old thread where you were cutting up as usual... lol)

Sis!!!!  :) Hey gurlie! Missed you too! So much has been going on...all of it exciting!  I'll probably put it in the current status thread or PM you or something, later on!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up