LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: The LGM Book Club  (Read 30243 times)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: The LGM Book Club
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2011, 01:07:05 PM »
Can't be helped, I guess.  I've been praying about streamlining my time.  There's a lot of extra stuff I do for a lot of people, and it's starting to overload my schedule.  I want to strip my time down to prayer time, study time, practice time, work, and my local church.  Everything else is on the table to be CHOPPED.

LOVE that show. #thatisall
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2011, 03:39:32 PM »
Just a correction: Chapter 6 is entitled "Sunday Morning Costumes."

Which chapters are yall looking forward to reading the most??

key figures in church history

blyempowered

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2011, 03:43:58 PM »
key figures in church history

Yes! I tell ya, I wonder if things would change if more people understood the historic origins of many of our practices and why we do what we do....JESUS!

For me, that chapter. I'm also interested in the one on the sermon. Have we been doing the sermon wrong for centuries? I'm also interested in the one about communion. I am so convinced that our current practice of communion (particularly in the Baptist) has catholic origins.

Also the music ministry one.

Gosh I'm just ready to dig in....LOL!

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2011, 04:00:17 PM »
Yes! I tell ya, I wonder if things would change if more people understood the historic origins of many of our practices and why we do what we do....JESUS!

For me, that chapter. I'm also interested in the one on the sermon. Have we been doing the sermon wrong for centuries? I'm also interested in the one about communion. I am so convinced that our current practice of communion (particularly in the Baptist) has catholic origins.

Also the music ministry one.

Gosh I'm just ready to dig in....LOL!
I have trouble seeing how you could do communion wrong, lol.  I mean it's kinda clearly laid out in the bible.  It's not a grey area.

blyempowered

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2011, 04:19:08 PM »
I have trouble seeing how you could do communion wrong, lol.  I mean it's kinda clearly laid out in the bible.  It's not a grey area.

I disagree. Here's why: communion, based on how my church and many protestants do it, is basically a piece of bread or a cracker and grape juice (or wine). That's catholicism practice. From my understanding, communion in the bible was an entire meal. While Jesus had supper and said "this is my body broken for you....." and "this is my blood.........", based on my understanding communion was a full meal.

That's just my take though.  :-\

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2011, 04:22:52 PM »
For me, that convenience, microwave, quickie communion is just wrong. :-\

I joke about it a lot, but honest to God, I absolutely HATE it. (No, I don't think anybody is going to hell behind it, but I really do hate those little 2fer cups).

IRT Churchy's comment, I think in general, people feel like it's not a big deal and it doesn't really matter as long as souls are being saved or the churches are growing, etc... that's in reference to sermons or anything else we find in this book.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

blyempowered

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2011, 04:25:35 PM »
For me, that convenience, microwave, quickie communion is just wrong. :-\

I joke about it a lot, but honest to God, I absolutely HATE it. (No, I don't think anybody is going to hell behind it, but I really do hate those little 2fer cups).

IRT Churchy's comment, I think in general, people feel like it's not a big deal and it doesn't really matter as long as souls are being saved or the churches are growing, etc... that's in reference to sermons or anything else we find in this book.

You're exactly right!  :)

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2011, 04:30:45 PM »

nessa I know you are going to be busy, but I hope you are able to read along with us or at least maybe a chapter or something if you have the time if you can't do the whole book ... cause this book is going to generate some interesting discussions that will affect the future of the readers.

blyempowered

« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2011, 04:33:16 PM »
nessa I know you are going to be busy, but I hope you are able to read along with us or at least maybe a chapter or something if you have the time if you can't do the whole book ... cause this book is going to generate some interesting discussions that will affect the future of the readers.

Yes! I've been thinking about these issues since around 2003 and it's always bugged me about why we do what we do. That has been my biggest desire: finding out why we do what we do. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not big about doing things just because it's the thing to do. I like to understand the origins of why we do what we do.

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2011, 04:34:03 PM »
I disagree. Here's why: communion, based on how my church and many protestants do it, is basically a piece of bread or a cracker and grape juice (or wine). That's catholicism practice. From my understanding, communion in the bible was an entire meal. While Jesus had supper and said "this is my body broken for you....." and "this is my blood.........", based on my understanding communion was a full meal.

That's just my take though.  :-\
Churchy, so you think people are wrong, when Jesus clearly took the bread and the cup and said this is my body/blood AFTER they had supped.  The ceremony is in commemoration of that particular symbolism, not what they had for dinner that night!

blyempowered

« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2011, 04:36:46 PM »
Churchy, so you think people are wrong, when Jesus clearly took the bread and the cup and said this is my body/blood AFTER they had supped.  The ceremony is in commemoration of that particular symbolism, not what they had for dinner that night!

But it should be a meal, if we're doing it biblically.  BTJM

:-\

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2011, 04:41:28 PM »
I want in.....I've gotta see can I purchase the book today. Will someone please remind me of the schedule please? I've got so many things going on right now and I don't want to forget. I hope my ADD doesn't get in the way of my participation... :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ ;D ;D ;D ;D
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2011, 04:42:54 PM »
But it should be a meal, if we're doing it biblically.  BTJM

:-\

Where do you get that and why do you think that?  The last supper was a meal, but communion took place after the supper.  In fact, in one of Paul's writings (gotta find the scripture) he says don't just come here for a meal, because people were making it about food and potluck rather than focusing on remembering Christ's suffering.

Found it I Cor 11:34

And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation and the rest will I set in order when I come.

Paul was setting a guide line that we don't come focusing on a "meal" but on the remembrance, which the bible specifically outlines as the bread, representing the body, and the wine representing the blood.  Those were Christ's specific instructions, he didn't say a thing about, "prepare this chicken in remembrance of me, and make sure someone brings the kool-aid"

If this ritual had taken place after a fishing trip, would we then have to go fishing as part of communion?

blyempowered

« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2011, 04:45:06 PM »
LOL!

I get ya, but I guess we'll agree to disagree. I just think if we're going to do communion biblically, we should go back to it being a meal. HOWEVER, it should still be done with bread and wine or grape juice or whatever. No raisin bread and no orange juice....LOL!

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2011, 04:46:16 PM »
LOL!

I get ya, but I guess we'll agree to disagree. I just think if we're going to do communion biblically, we should go back to it being a meal. HOWEVER, it should still be done with bread and wine or grape juice or whatever. No raisin bread and no orange juice....LOL!
And you would consider that a meal?  Some bread and some juice?  In that case, we already are having a meal!

blyempowered

« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
And you would consider that a meal?  Some bread and some juice?  In that case, we already are having a meal!

It's not a full meal....LOL!  :D

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2011, 06:52:59 PM »
The conversation between Churchy and Nessa is HILARIOUS!
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2011, 06:59:02 PM »
I thought so too, but I was content to laugh to myself until you came along. :D :D :D
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2011, 07:06:34 PM »
LOVE that show. #thatisall
I love that show too along with Top Chef Masters, Iron Chef America, etc...
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2011, 07:17:35 PM »
I love that show too along with Top Chef Masters, Iron Chef America, etc...

Yes ma'am!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up