LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getitng that gospel 'crunch/growl' - Fred Hammond/Alan 'Snoop' Evans  (Read 16821 times)

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

Re: Getitng that gospel 'crunch/growl' - Fred Hammond/Alan 'Snoop' Evans
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 07:54:37 AM »
I've tried to find emails on his site, could try Facebook...
I don't know if it's the best tone in the business,but what I do know all the gigs I do outside of my church gig my Fender Jazz is the " Requested Choice."...not my 87 6 string  Jackson Ken Smith ( which I've not played in awhile) .....she's old but she is nice to look @  ;D . The pre Gibson Tobias I had was great but once again the Fender jazz was requested...tried a couple of MTD's and they just didn't do it for me...great playing basses...now if anything I wish I would've kept my 92 Fodera Monarch just to sell in today's market it for what Vinny and Joey is asking for them now !!!!

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 09:16:52 AM »
Was it a new from the factory KS or a used one?  If used, were the strings old?  Only time I'd ever played / heard a KS I would consider thin sounding it was when I was considering buying one from a seller in the Detroit area.  It was twangy and thin sounding.  The seller commented that he coldn't remember when he had last changed his strings and the brand he mentioned was one I never heard of.  I didn't buy the bass.

From the factory KS basses deliver the sound that StooB asked about.  Fred also plays Fenders.  I can get similar, but not exact, tones out of one of my Alembics (obviously not a recommendation....out of reach for most) or either of my Music Man basses.  But since the MMs are 4-strings and I like to have 5-strings in church "just in case", they rarely leave the house on Sundays.  You may want to consider a Music Man 5-string or a Peavey Cirrus 5-string.  Both are available on the used market at very good prices.

Also consider Gallien Krueger amps.  The crunchiest, funkiest tones I've ever delivered have come through the GK 1001RB amp that I use to own.  My current GK MB500 does well, but not as crunchy as my old 1001RB.
you know what Malthumb ( not to derail the thread) with the exception of the TechPuma micro heads, the socalled class D heads Mark Bass, GK MB 500/800 Aguilar TH 500, just didn't deliver the fatness and nice roundness of the class A heads....I mean they sounded ok in the store....but when I got a chance to play them out.....ehhhhh. Now speaking of the Music Man 5 I'm supprised I don't see that many being played in the Urban Gospel  genre because it's got a ton of crunch.

ehargravejr

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2012, 01:35:58 PM »
i had an old Peavy TKO 115 that was awesome, but i was only in small venues....
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up