LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Getitng that gospel 'crunch/growl' - Fred Hammond/Alan 'Snoop' Evans  (Read 16718 times)

StooB

Can anyone tell me what strings and especially their gauge size that people like Fred Hammond and Alan 'Snoop' Evans use? I love the gospel bass crunch and growl and want to get the best tone I can get in this area..

Since putting light strings on my Warwick I get a similar sound but it could be better....  ::)

Any suggestions on getting the best growling tone that Fred often gets, whether it's strings, bass setup, effects etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Offline PianoClubhouse

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Don't talk about it....BE about it!
    • PianoClubhouse.com

Can anyone tell me what strings and especially their gauge size that people like Fred Hammond and Alan 'Snoop' Evans use? I love the gospel bass crunch and growl and want to get the best tone I can get in this area..

Since putting light strings on my Warwick I get a similar sound but it could be better....  ::)

Any suggestions on getting the best growling tone that Fred often gets, whether it's strings, bass setup, effects etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Good question!

Offline stix_clgi

• LGM Member
  • I'm wasting away here......
    • My Youtube Page

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Well I don't know for sure about the strings and effects....but I know Fred plays Ken Smith basses, and I think that attributes to his sound more than any other thing. Smiths have a very distinct sound that I haven't really heard in other basses (except maybe a Peavey Cirrus with the right wood combination). Alan Evans plays Warrior basses, which also have a pretty distinct sound; I personally like Fred's tone a lot better, but that's just me. So my suggestion.....buy a Ken Smith lol (j/k). Seriously, the Warwicks I've played growl too, but not like a Ken Smith; they are two different animals.

On another note, Smiths and Warwicks are my two top brands, aside from a few custom companies. My local music store has a sale on Smiths too....like almosts $1k off the regular price :o
Precious Lord take my hand
Lead me on, help me stand

StooB

I have a Warwick Corvette Standard but believe me, a Ken Smith is on my wish list! Although I don't know if I would ever play it for just looking at it!  ;D

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

Honestly you should try to email Alan or find him on facebook.  He doesnt mind replying.  Ive asked him questions on a few occasions and he got right back to me.
Praise Him!

Offline ssabass

• LGM Member

Two words, "Fender Jazz". The best tone in the business. It will give you that growl/crunch you are looking for & you won't spend 4-5 thousand,  like you would on a Smith or a Warrior.

StooB

Honestly you should try to email Alan or find him on facebook.  He doesnt mind replying.

I've tried to find emails on his site, could try Facebook...

Offline stix_clgi

• LGM Member
  • I'm wasting away here......
    • My Youtube Page

Two words, "Fender Jazz". The best tone in the business. It will give you that growl/crunch you are looking for & you won't spend 4-5 thousand,  like you would on a Smith or a Warrior.

You think so? I love the Fender Jazz (I have a deluxe on hold now) basses, but not necessarily for their growl. To me, Jazzes have a smoother, more round tone, with a well defined mid section that's, well, right in the middle of the spectrum. I actually get more growl out of my Ibby ATK and Schecter Stiletto than my Jazz I had a while ago. Maybe I didn't fiddle around enough with the electronics....
I have a Warwick Corvette Standard but believe me, a Ken Smith is on my wish list! Although I don't know if I would ever play it for just looking at it!  ;D

I think I'd get a Smith before a Warwick, but I am definitely going to own both at some point. They stopped making my favorite Warwick model, the FNA Jazzman, with the MM bridge pup and the Jazz neck pup.

*Pulls out offering baseball cap* If anyone would like to contribute to the "Chris wants a Ken Smith bass" fund, please deposit your check card or at least $10 cash in the hat.......
Precious Lord take my hand
Lead me on, help me stand

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

i think another contributor besides wood and electronics to the Ken Smith sound is the pickup placement on the bass. A lot of basses use some standard of placement settings (with most copying other common brands) which are mostly different from the Smith. Usually custom shop basses let you get more control over these kinds of things, but whats the point of getting a custom shop configured to sound exactly like a Smith (which im sure talented luthiers can do), when you can get the actual thing, since you'd be paying the SAME price?

With that said, i think its that right blend of treble. You just want that fat treble-y sound (if that makes any sense). People say "Ken Smith" because its easily said. I say keep experimenting. You may find a sound that YOU like that blows that out the water, and thats all that matters.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline funkinater

• LGM Member

In my opinion,  The Smith has a great growl but if you want the growl of all growls try a pre-gibson tobias.  Listen to Andrew Gouche's older gospel stuff.  LA Mass Choir, Mississippi Mass Choir Live in Jackson.  Those basses are the bomb!!

StooB

Re: Getitng that gospel 'crunch/growl' - Fred Hammond/Alan 'Snoop' Evans
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 12:30:37 PM »
*Pulls out offering baseball cap* If anyone would like to contribute to the "Chris wants a Ken Smith bass" fund, please deposit your check card or at least $10 cash in the hat.......

Hey, don't go promoting your own KS fund when I have one too!!!  ;) ;D

Fender Jazz? Nice basses but KS, Tobias and Warrior basses have more growl but like Jaco, it's mostly in our technique.

Also the treble settings and new strings have a massive effect on your growl.

Offline BassbyGrace

• LGM Member
  • striving

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 02:26:55 PM »
I think I'd get a Smith before a Warwick, but I am definitely going to own both at some point. They stopped making my favorite Warwick model, the FNA Jazzman, with the MM bridge pup and the Jazz neck pup.

I think the Pnut signature has that configuration.  I also think they made a cheaper model of that too.
Praise Him!

Offline funkinater

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 04:05:15 PM »
You guys!  I just had the greatest blessing in the world.  My Pastor just purchased me a 1988
Ken Smith BT 5er.  It's on the way and I can't wait.  Love the older Smith's.  Jesus is good!!!!!!!!

Offline ssabass

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 05:32:09 PM »
I just played 2 Ken Smiths recently at The Bass Club in Chicago. Sorry but the Ken Smith sounded the thinnest out of all the bass I tried, no bottom. I do love their finger tone & they are some beautiful basses. But compared to the Sadowsky, MTD, Mike Lull, Fender Jazz Deluxe, Zon, Elrick basses I played, the Smith just did not pass the test & out priced all of the other basses. I do like the Warwick Corvette basses.  I almost bought one at this pawn shop, but I didn't pull the trigger fast enough & it got sold. Very nice bass, with tone for days. But their are plenty basses out there, that will give you that growl, that cost way less than a Ken Smith. Now I do like the KSD(Ken Smith Design). Check out this cat on youtube(someone posted him a while back) Rev. Chubby love, man that brothas bass sounds good. Though he did modify it, but after the modifications, he still paid no where near a what a real Ken Smith cost.  In other words, do your homework.

StooB

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 08:02:43 AM »
My Pastor just purchased me a 1988 Ken Smith BT 5er.

Jesus calls us to love our brother, but how can I when you get one and I don't!!!  ;D

ssabass - inetersting observations, I'l check that link out.

StooB

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 08:04:53 AM »
btw I do have a Warwick corvette standard but I seriously would like my prayers/lust to be answered for a KS, MTD or Tobias..

Offline DanElder

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 07:56:46 PM »
Alan plays a Warrior. He used to play a Peavey Cirrus prior to getting the Warrior. From time to time (depending on the song) he used to use a Fender Jazz. Not sure what he uses for amps, etc.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 06:17:15 PM »
This six string Douglas I once owned had a growl. The neck on it is ok but takes a little getting used to. I wish I had not sold it. I may replace it with another Douglas later. The playing is terrible but you get the idea of the sound of the bass.  :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTP6LWFo0wo
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 12:28:11 PM »
Does boosting your low mids and overdriving your amp help achieve this sound?

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 12:53:27 PM »
I just played 2 Ken Smiths recently at The Bass Club in Chicago. Sorry but the Ken Smith sounded the thinnest out of all the bass I tried, no bottom. I do love their finger tone & they are some beautiful basses. But compared to the Sadowsky, MTD, Mike Lull, Fender Jazz Deluxe, Zon, Elrick basses I played, the Smith just did not pass the test & out priced all of the other basses. I do like the Warwick Corvette basses.  I almost bought one at this pawn shop, but I didn't pull the trigger fast enough & it got sold. Very nice bass, with tone for days. But their are plenty basses out there, that will give you that growl, that cost way less than a Ken Smith. Now I do like the KSD(Ken Smith Design). Check out this cat on youtube(someone posted him a while back) Rev. Chubby love, man that brothas bass sounds good. Though he did modify it, but after the modifications, he still paid no where near a what a real Ken Smith cost.  In other words, do your homework.

Was it a new from the factory KS or a used one?  If used, were the strings old?  Only time I'd ever played / heard a KS I would consider thin sounding it was when I was considering buying one from a seller in the Detroit area.  It was twangy and thin sounding.  The seller commented that he coldn't remember when he had last changed his strings and the brand he mentioned was one I never heard of.  I didn't buy the bass.

From the factory KS basses deliver the sound that StooB asked about.  Fred also plays Fenders.  I can get similar, but not exact, tones out of one of my Alembics (obviously not a recommendation....out of reach for most) or either of my Music Man basses.  But since the MMs are 4-strings and I like to have 5-strings in church "just in case", they rarely leave the house on Sundays.  You may want to consider a Music Man 5-string or a Peavey Cirrus 5-string.  Both are available on the used market at very good prices.

Also consider Gallien Krueger amps.  The crunchiest, funkiest tones I've ever delivered have come through the GK 1001RB amp that I use to own.  My current GK MB500 does well, but not as crunchy as my old 1001RB.
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up