LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where do I go from here?  (Read 3472 times)

Offline glorydweller

• LGM Member

Where do I go from here?
« on: May 13, 2011, 05:57:23 PM »
Hi LGM. I'm a worship leader at a small rural church. Been there about a year. Before I came they were worshipping along with CD's. I lead from the keyboard (a basic synth), use a drum machine and have two willing but not-so-great elderly singers (soprano and alto). For specials, I can sometimes coax a reluctant tenor and alto to join us. There are no other musicians. Honestly, there's not much of a talent pool to pull from.

Here's my question for you:  What can I do to add to this set-up until other musicians and singers are added? We have some money available to invest in, say, a workstation or other equipment. I'd like to do some backing tracks or something like that, but I'm concerned that the technical stuff would be over my head. Are there some technically simple things I could do?

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: Where do I go from here?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 02:34:50 PM »
Until other musicians come, you'd continue to do what you're doing. In terms of creating tracks, you've asked the right question though it may be in the wrong forum. Check out the sound forum (attached to the Keyboard forum).

As for the singers, you may want to continue to use trax...unless you can coax that tenor to stay on with the group.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 10:28:57 AM »
Until other musicians come, you'd continue to do what you're doing. In terms of creating tracks, you've asked the right question though it may be in the wrong forum. Check out the sound forum (attached to the Keyboard forum).

As for the singers, you may want to continue to use trax...unless you can coax that tenor to stay on with the group.

I echo this statement and have nothing else to add.  Good luck in your endeavors.
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 10:59:43 AM »
I don't really have any advice, but I do have a question for you two... if he has money to invest, why aren't you recommending ways for him to invest it? (I can't, since I don't know the first thing about sound stuff and equipment and all that...). And if it's over his head, isn't there a tutorial or YouTube info or something somewhere that can make it easy for him? Some easy-to-use software? Something?? :-\

*just asking cause I really don't know*
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 11:03:19 AM »
Invest in some singers and musicians.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 11:09:23 AM »
I don't really have any advice, but I do have a question for you two... if he has money to invest, why aren't you recommending ways for him to invest it? (I can't, since I don't know the first thing about sound stuff and equipment and all that...). And if it's over his head, isn't there a tutorial or YouTube info or something somewhere that can make it easy for him? Some easy-to-use software? Something?? :-\

Because she should....
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Tiptip357

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 11:21:17 AM »
Psst...I think glorydweller is a female.... :)

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 11:25:53 AM »
Psst...I think glorydweller is a female.... :)

My apologies.  Edit made

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 02:07:04 PM »

Upon rereading my post, you'll note that I did just that by telling her to go to the sound forum on the LGM site.  :)

And, she should...

Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 02:11:57 PM »
Yeah, see that's what I mean... what U13 said... lol. You and Jonathan were just like - just keep what you're doing, homey, and ask the sound folks about the sound stuff...

But when you have money, I think you can fix most problems. *shrug* I didn't know what the answer was, but I knew there was something she could do... :-\

And oops @ "he". My bad, Glorydweller. That does sound like a girly name. *giggle* :D

Thanks, Tip.  ;D

Upon rereading my post, you'll note that I did just that by telling her to go to the sound forum on the LGM site.  :)

And, she should...

*deleted* Nevermind.  :)
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 12:22:00 AM »
My advice:

Spend money on upgrading your sound system...but invest time and attention in your people...that will reap musical, physical and spiritual rewards in the long run.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 06:41:33 AM »
My advice:

Spend money on upgrading your sound system...but invest time and attention in your people...that will reap musical, physical and spiritual rewards in the long run.

mmm...beefy.  The sound system investment helps EVERYONE.  The folks, who do sound consistently and well, hang out in the sound forum. You can search some threads or start a thread in that forum where you'll receive a quick and accurate response.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 07:31:32 AM »
Where IS the sound room? I didn't see it on the list (which explains why I didn't know we had one). :-\

Good advice, Betnich!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 08:08:47 AM »
Where IS the sound room? I didn't see it on the list (which explains why I didn't know we had one). :-\

Upon rereading my post, you'll notice I mentioned that it is a sub-forum of the Keyboard forum.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 01:25:11 PM »
Once again, no need for me to re-read; I read it the first time. :)

I still didn't see a Sound room... but actually, it really doesn't even matter since I doubt I'll ever have a need to find it. I was just curious to know where it is. But that's ok. Thanks. :)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 02:52:34 PM »
Once again, no need for me to re-read; I read it the first time. :)

I still didn't see a Sound room... but actually, it really doesn't even matter since I doubt I'll ever have a need to find it. I was just curious to know where it is. But that's ok. Thanks. :)

To be clear, it's actual title is 'Song production' where they discuss how to make tracks and such (which is the initial reason I suggested going there). Also, they discuss sound, in general, as it pertains to the church building.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 05:09:35 PM »
Ohhhhhhhh ok. :) Yeah, I wasn't really reading to process. More like scanning down the page looking for tHe words "sound room." ::) :D

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 08:31:39 PM »
Ohhhhhhhh ok. :) Yeah, I wasn't really reading to process. More like scanning down the page looking for tHe words "sound room." ::) :D

My apologies.

Offline glorydweller

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 06:07:02 PM »
Took me a minute to respond, but I want to thank you for your replies. Really appreciate the community here!

I'm happy to report that our reluctant tenor and alto have committed to be on the team, so all the parts are present - 2 sopranos, 2 altos, and a tenor. We're going to be buying a more versatile keyboard, and we'll use a track here and there until the singers can get better at their parts.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 07:47:31 PM »
Took me a minute to respond, but I want to thank you for your replies. Really appreciate the community here!

I'm happy to report that our reluctant tenor and alto have committed to be on the team, so all the parts are present - 2 sopranos, 2 altos, and a tenor. We're going to be buying a more versatile keyboard, and we'll use a track here and there until the singers can get better at their parts.

Praise God!
Pages: [1]   Go Up