LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i decided to learn the bass (again)and I got a question...  (Read 1031 times)

Offline acts2-38

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bad!! Just like I was

Why is it that I have to strain my fingers and pluck so hard but I see the experienced guys barely plucking the strings and lightly moving their fingers across the neck yet  producing a full great sound????

Also, for a 3 finger major scale, how do I finger it? ie ring finger on the 1, pinky on the 2 etc...
Give a man chords to a song, you help him for a day. Teach him theory and you help forever!!!

Offline fbates

• LGM Member

Re: i decided to learn the bass (again)and I got a question...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 12:36:29 PM »
A few possible reasons

1.  Hand strength
2. String gauge
3. Action (String height)

4. Technique

You have to develop the strength in your fingers but you still shouldn't be playing that hard.  Lower action and a lower string gauge will make it a lot easier for you to play lightly, but that means your technique must be a lot cleaner so it doesnt sound like a clanky mess...(unless you like that sort of sound).  When your bass is set up properly you shouldnt need to pluck very hard,  unless you're just really feelin the sound and start diggin in lol

I hope this helps.

Its more simple to keep it simple.

Offline acts2-38

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bad!! Just like I was

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 06:20:38 PM »
definitely helps. thanks!
Give a man chords to a song, you help him for a day. Teach him theory and you help forever!!!

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 12:09:44 AM »
not sure what equipment you are using but some people dig in a lot more because their equipment is undersized.

So maybe you should turn your amp up to 11 and just play softer

Offline lowlife350

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 02:44:06 PM »
hey Acts -

I am not sure what you mean by a 3 finger major scale, but with regards to technique, I found these videos helpful.

Fretting Hand:

Bad Habits for Bass: The 1 Finger Per Fret System

Developing Safe Left Hand Technique for Bass Guitar

Plucking Hand:

Bad Habits For Bass: Tension in the plucking hand.

Gary Willis On Finger Pressure

Todd Johnson Bass Guitar : Floating thumb technique

StooB

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 02:56:15 AM »
As well as what fbates has said, the main answer is really - TIME - boring I know but you'll get there but start  S   L   O   W.... and work up. Keep going with concentrated exercises and you'll get there, there's no substitute for quality practice.

I have bought a Gripmaster which exercises individual fingers which is an amazing thing and has vastly improved my playing

and the 3 notes per string scales as you said has vastly helped but I have gone back to playing scales more with four fingers on each corresponding fret and going up and down as this method is usually prefered by bassists like Justin Raines as you can get more melodic runs out of it and it uses more economical playing with the left hand. S notes per string his nmore used by electric guitarists:
Justin Raines in New Breed soundcheck(PE Africa)

Finger exercises and finger stretching is very important EACH TIME before you play and will, over time, help you with your problem and loosen up your fingers:
Essential Hand Stretches For Guitarists

Here's the 3 notes per scales explaination for those that don't know, but as I have said, this is more prefered by electric guitarists for legato playing:
3 Notes Per String Major Scales - Advanced Guitar Lesson

Above all, DON'T ever get frustrated, it will come in time. The best thing I have learnt that improved my bass playing is using the pentatonic scales and learning slides and trills, this requires no stretching at all!  ;D

Offline acts2-38

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bad!! Just like I was

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 11:49:15 PM »
I appreciate all the input!!!

StooB

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 01:16:08 AM »
Let us know how you get on  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up