LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: May 2011 DISCUSSION: Pagan Christianity by Frank Viola and George Barna  (Read 75368 times)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

I haven't looked at the site, but doesn't it kinda defeat the purpose of having our own discussion?

I looked at it. I don't think it would really defeat our purpose, but the questions seem kinda shallow to me... we would probably want to go much deeper than those questions would take us. There may be one or two that we could use. Idk. I only glanced at the first few.

IRT Jonathan's comments about the space in these house-fellowships, I think it is mentioned a little more clearly in Ch2. Apparently, some folks knocked a wall down to accommodate more people, and then a few centuries later, a few buildings were being used... but I guess we'll get to that on Thursday.

IRT LL's comment about forgetting about the discussion, I can tell you what works for me. Maybe it'll work for you (and anyone else) too. When we got the Prayer Board, I determined in myself to check it regularly so that I could take whatever prayer requests were there. Plus, I wanted to post in the threads so people wouldn't feel like no one is hearing/seeing/praying about them. So I changed my bookmarks on my computer and my phone from the Lounge to the "lobby." LOL. It works for me for a few reasons. In addition to making sure I'm checking the Prayer Room, I'm also sure to see if there's anything new in the MOM room, which I also like, and I can see my PM notifications (which helps since there's no pop-up on my BB to let me know I have a PM, so I've missed a few important ones).

And.... I'm so glad the communion issue is resolved. :D

I cannot remember what input I had regarding Ch1. I posted an entire comment the other day and I guess it just disappeared (more than likely, I messed it up, since I was posting from my phone).
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

blyempowered

It's kind of solved.....LOL!!!

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

I looked at it. I don't think it would really defeat our purpose, but the questions seem kinda shallow to me... we would probably want to go much deeper than those questions would take us. There may be one or two that we could use. Idk. I only glanced at the first few.

IRT Jonathan's comments about the space in these house-fellowships, I think it is mentioned a little more clearly in Ch2. Apparently, some folks knocked a wall down to accommodate more people, and then a few centuries later, a few buildings were being used... but I guess we'll get to that on Thursday.

IRT LL's comment about forgetting about the discussion, I can tell you what works for me. Maybe it'll work for you (and anyone else) too. When we got the Prayer Board, I determined in myself to check it regularly so that I could take whatever prayer requests were there. Plus, I wanted to post in the threads so people wouldn't feel like no one is hearing/seeing/praying about them. So I changed my bookmarks on my computer and my phone from the Lounge to the "lobby." LOL. It works for me for a few reasons. In addition to making sure I'm checking the Prayer Room, I'm also sure to see if there's anything new in the MOM room, which I also like, and I can see my PM notifications (which helps since there's no pop-up on my BB to let me know I have a PM, so I've missed a few important ones).

And.... I'm so glad the communion issue is resolved. :D

I cannot remember what input I had regarding Ch1. I posted an entire comment the other day and I guess it just disappeared (more than likely, I messed it up, since I was posting from my phone).
That's exactly what I've done.  I'm happy to say that I check this board as much as I check the Lounge's board.  I'd like to see more activity here, though.  It's not as lively at the onset as I thought it would be.  Not bad, though, for the first week of our first book. 

blyempowered

That's exactly what I've done.  I'm happy to say that I check this board as much as I check the Lounge's board. I'd like to see more activity here, though.  It's not as lively at the onset as I thought it would be.  Not bad, though, for the first week of our first book.

This

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

Well considering there are *pauses to count* six people reading the book, and one of the big mouths was out of commission this weekend, it really wasn't too bad a discussion... but I do agree, I'd like to see it be a little more lively. We just have to remember there are only 6 of us in the number.

@Churchy, question honey bunch... what scripture can you show me that states or implies that communion should be a full meal (or a passover meal)? You said it's kinda resolved, so I'm trying to get to the bottom of what outstanding issues you have...
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

blyempowered

@Churchy, question honey bunch... what scripture can you show me that states or implies that communion should be a full meal (or a passover meal)? You said it's kinda resolved, so I'm trying to get to the bottom of what outstanding issues you have...

I was just kidding. I was saying it was resolved as far as understanding why (in biblical context including the last supper and 1 Corinthians 11, the part about supper) it was a meal because of passover and the Jewish tradition. Personally, I still think that the way communion is done in the protestant tradition has catholic origins. Once it flashed back to me regarding Jewish tradition I finally saw the light of why I was advocating it being (scripturally) a full meal.

I can't wait to read the chapter on baptism and communion to get a finer point of what he's arguing for.

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Hey Layla, I don't know if you've read that far yet, but the end of chapter two reminds me of a conversation you and I had the first time I met you as we were waiting on the train platform, when I was sharing my view of how church should operate.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

LL, I haven't gotten that far at all. I'm on pg 16. :-[ I'll be caught up by Thursday. Can't wait to see what you're talking about - and of course knowing me, I won't remember. LOL

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

LL, I haven't gotten that far at all. I'm on pg 16. :-[ I'll be caught up by Thursday. Can't wait to see what you're talking about - and of course knowing me, I won't remember. LOL
:D :D :D

Well, if you end up not remembering, hit me up.  I remember it because of what you said when I was finished that made me laugh.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

Ok now I kinda sorta vaguely remember making you laugh. Didn't we have a debate and a random guy on the train jumped in the convo and took my side? :D I had forgotten all about that. Thanks for the reminder that I was right from the very beginning. :D :D :D :D :P

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Ok now I kinda sorta vaguely remember making you laugh. Didn't we have a debate and a random guy on the train jumped in the convo and took my side? :D I had forgotten all about that. Thanks for the reminder that I was right from the very beginning. :D :D :D :D :P
I don't even remember what we were debating about.  But, if you were right, hey, at least I lost to good competition.  The part of the convo I'm referring to is when we got off one train and were on the platform waiting to catch the train to Reagan.  I was talking about my "ideal ministry" concept.

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Hey, another thing I just did was hit the "notify" button so that I'd know when people post here.  Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier. 

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

Hey what does the notify button do? I'm kinda traumatized. I once subscribed to something on here (don't remember what the feature was called), but it sent me like 50 e-mails a day... seriously. I think every time someone posted something, it sent me an e-mail. I couldn't even figure out how to turn it off. :-\

And yeah, I don't remember what we were debating either, but I remember how much fun it was. *gonna hurry and get through Ch2*

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

I can't wait for chapter the 2 the engineer in me is upset! I just want to take the authors to Their houses and ask a few questions.

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

@ Layla, the "notify" button does what you described. It sends an e-mail every time someone posts a reply in this thread. You turn it off by clicking the "unnotify" button @ previously the "notify" button.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

Oh ok. I think the other feature I used wasn't on a thread-by-thread basis. It sent me an e-mail for every thread I posted in... which was a nightmare (think Current Status or Good Morning threads)

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Oops.  Just noticed my typo.  I was using my phone, since that's where my e-mail notifications go.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

? is there going to be a new thread for chapter 2 or will we continue posting in this thread?

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

We can stay here for the whole book... unless someone has a good reason to split it all up. I think that for search purposes, it'll probably be easier to put it all in one place.

blyempowered

#random I hope one of the chapters talk about the origin of congregational selection of the pastor.....SMH!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35   Go Up