LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: May 2011 DISCUSSION: Pagan Christianity by Frank Viola and George Barna  (Read 75704 times)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

Hey Bookies*, is everyone comfortable with the pace? Anybody having a hard time keeping up? Feel we're moving too slowly? Thinking this is just right? What say you?

*yes, I know that was extremely lame, but I thought it was better than 'Hey Clubbies.' ::) ;D
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Yeah, it was lame.  :D

I wouldn't mind picking up the pace a little.  But, I defer to the will of the masses.

blyempowered

Yes, let's pick up the pace a little bit. I'm ready to discuss chapter 2 and about ready to start reading chapter 3....LOL!

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

Hey Bookies*, is everyone comfortable with the pace? Anybody having a hard time keeping up? Feel we're moving too slowly? Thinking this is just right? What say you?

*yes, I know that was extremely lame, but I thought it was better than 'Hey Clubbies.' ::) ;D

Yeah lets pick up the pace a little bit or maybe make it so if the conversation dies down for a day or two we just move on to the next chapter? Not sure how that would work.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

I'm open to picking up the pace if Jonathan, Musicbishop and PHB agree. But I'm not through with Ch2 yet, so it'll have to start after this week, if that's ok with you all. It's been moving a little slowly for me, so I've been reading slowly intentionally so as not to get ahead (because once I reach the end, I will totally lose interest in the discussion).

But I thought about it last night: a month and a half is a longggg time to read a book. :-\ Most book clubs do a book each month.

I'm fine with keeping the schedule as it is, but if everyone agrees the pace is too slow, we can pick it up some.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

PHB is on board.  Now we just need to hear from Jonathan and Musicbishop.  I kinda flew through chapter 2, so I hope I remember what I wanted to say about it.

blyempowered

PHB is on board.  Now we just need to hear from Jonathan and Musicbishop.  I kinda flew through chapter 2, so I hope I remember what I wanted to say about it.

Yeah I'm already done with chapter 2 and ready to discuss whenever everyone else is.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

Oh, I'm just seeing PHB's post. Duh. LOL.

Ummm, but why your lil man gotta be smokin though? This here is a Christian site! LOL! :D

Ummm, Jonathan? Musicbishop??

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Meh. I'm indifferent. I haven't gotten into Chapter 2 as I have school and work that are more pressing at the moment.

But, I might be able to squeeze out an hour to complete the chapter. *kanyeshrug*
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

Ok well it's up to you, Jonathan. I'm finishing up Ch 2 now. Will be done in a few minutes. Since it IS an ongoing discussion, we can start on 2 tomorrow, if everyone wants to, and everyone can chime in whenever they're ready. Or we can just wait until Thursday, as planned.

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Tomorrow's good for me.

blyempowered

Right now....LOL j/k

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Why not add your thoughts now?  I don't think that will stop anyone from chiming in later.

blyempowered

Why not add your thoughts now?  I don't think that will stop anyone from chiming in later.

Ok, be back in a few!

blyempowered

So I'll start this discussion on chapter 2 with 2 quotes:

"The social location of the chruch meeting expresses and influences the character of the church."
"Every building we encounter elicits a response from us. By it's interior and exterior, it explicity shows us what the church is and how it functions."

Do you all agree or disagree with those quotes?

It seems like the author is basically making the case that the idea of church buildings takes away from what worship was originally intended to be. According to the author, worship in the New Testament was open-participation (which I think could be supported by 1 Corinthians 12 & 14). Also, he argues against treating the sanctuary/church building as sacred. Do you all agree or disagree with his view?

blyempowered

Sorry for typo in 1st quote.

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

I'm on my phone at the moment, so I'm not going to give a long answer, but I'd like to know what YOU think, since you asked the question.

blyempowered

I'm on my phone at the moment, so I'm not going to give a long answer, but I'd like to know what YOU think, since you asked the question.

I do think that buildings, rooms, etc., can give a certain meaning. For example, if you're in a meeting and the presider's chair or whatever is higher than everyone else, that could give the meaning that the presider is more important than those who he/she is presiding over. At the same time, I think a lot of it is what you make it. You could say the same about a church building but I do think our traditional design does fit more of a spectator show than an open-participation. I wonder how many folk would be willing to go to a Sunday service that was not designed in the traditional pew format but in a design in which everyone could participate.

I'm a little torn on the "sacredness of the sanctuary" issue considering the historic aspects of it and how I was raised. I was raised (and still kind of believe, even though I'm still open-minded on the issue) that the sanctuary is a sacred place and should be treated that way. I will say that I am not as convinced now that the pulpit is sacred. I view it as just a stage. BTJM.  :-\

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

I do think that buildings, rooms, etc., can give a certain meaning. For example, if you're in a meeting and the presider's chair or whatever is higher than everyone else, that could give the meaning that the presider is more important than those who he/she is presiding over. At the same time, I think a lot of it is what you make it. You could say the same about a church building but I do think our traditional design does fit more of a spectator show than an open-participation. I wonder how many folk would be willing to go to a Sunday service that was not designed in the traditional pew format but in a design in which everyone could participate.
I'm a little torn on the "sacredness of the sanctuary" issue considering the historic aspects of it and how I was raised. I was raised (and still kind of believe, even though I'm still open-minded on the issue) that the sanctuary is a sacred place and should be treated that way. I will say that I am not as convinced now that the pulpit is sacred. I view it as just a stage. BTJM.  :-\

You do realize, don't you, that many, MANY churches no longer have pews, right?
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

Pews, chairs... Same difference. Same set-up, which I think is the authors' issue.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 35   Go Up