LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for Future Books  (Read 41921 times)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

Suggestions for Future Books
« on: May 18, 2011, 09:25:30 AM »
If there's a book you'd like to read and discuss, post it here so we can see if anyone is interested... it might help if you post a link for purchase and perhaps a brief summary or review of the book. If you're interested in sci-fi and whatnot, you may find a few other folks who want to read and discuss the newest Stephen King book with you. *shrug*

It doesn't have to be a Christian book, or even a traditional, mainstream book, but uhhh... *gives U13 a warning glare*  :D :D (Shoot, maybe we can dig into a book from the Bible... I wouldn't mind doing a discussion on one of the OT books  :-\ or maybe a Christian novel - I have some good ones in my library... or whatever kinda book *gives U13 another warning glare*  :D)

Yeah, so post your suggestions here...  ;D
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

blyempowered

Re: Suggestions for Future Books
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 09:40:45 AM »
The Book of Esther

Proverbs

"Celebration of Discipline" by Richard J. Foster (one of the greatest books ever written on spiritual growth).
http://www.amazon.com/Celebration-Discipline-Path-Spiritual-Growth/dp/1596444533/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305729385&sr=8-1

"Churches That Make A Difference: Reaching Your community with Good News and Good Works" by Ronald J. Sider (The book talks about how the church can do wonderful outreach work, holistic and social action ministry).

"Enough: The Phony Leaders, Dead-End Movements, and Culture of Failure That are Undermining Black America-and what we can do about it" by Juan Williams.

"Why we do what we do: Christian Worship in the African-American tradition." The book talks about how some of the traditions of the black church came into fruition.

Offline Val215

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Virtuously Gifted

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 10:55:02 AM »
I am loving Christian Fiction books. I mentioned somewhere in a previous post that I have read all of Sherri Lewis books. Also "Song of Solomon" by Kendra Norman-Bellamy. I just finished "Gotta Keep On Tryin'" by Virginia DeBerry & Donna Grant. It was ok. Kinda slow in the beginning. 

I'm getting ready to start on "Zora's Cry" and then "The Truth About Love" by Tia McCollors.  I remember you recommending the author so I'm looking forward to reading her books :)
Check me out on Facebook at Virtuously Gifted and on Instagram at virtuouslygifted_215

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 12:16:55 PM »
I recently read a Sherri Lewis novel, "My Soul Cries Out". Interesting issues...

Would vote for "Churches That Make A Difference: Reaching Your community with Good News and Good Works" by Ronald J. Sider, as suggested by blyempowered. Also am into the book of Ruth...

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 05:21:51 PM »
Yall are going to get sick of me saying this but I would love to suggest "Battlefield of the mind" by Joyce Meyer. ;D
Strike while the iron is hot!

blyempowered

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 05:23:54 PM »
Yall are going to get sick of me saying this but I would love to suggest "Battlefield of the mind" by Joyce Meyer. ;D

I have that book in my collection but haven't read it yet.

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 03:28:24 PM »
That was good, but I loaned it out and didn't get it back :(

I'd like to do "Forgotten God" by Francis Chan.  I've read it, but would love to re-read it and have a discussion.

Offline Val215

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Virtuously Gifted

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 05:51:46 PM »
I recently read a Sherri Lewis novel, "My Soul Cries Out". Interesting issues...

You have to read the sequel "Selling My Soul" :o
Check me out on Facebook at Virtuously Gifted and on Instagram at virtuouslygifted_215

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 10:02:46 PM »
You have to read the sequel "Selling My Soul" :o

Have that on order...
:)

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 11:36:45 AM »
The five love languages by Gary Chapman

I already read most of it ... but I'm open to reading it again. Its geared more towards couples though

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 10:56:18 AM »
Is the Book Club for Fiction or Non-fiction or both?
:)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 11:02:02 AM »
It's for either fiction or non-fiction... just no sports and no sci-fi.

:D j/k.

I'm thinking that as long as there are a group of folks who want to read a book together - whether fiction or non, we can make it a book selection.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 02:04:28 PM »
Suggestion from Under13:

I second that suggestion.

Tiptip357

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 02:10:26 PM »
Suggestion from Under13:

I second that suggestion.

Third.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 02:39:04 PM »

I'm thinking that as long as there are a group of folks who want to read a book together - whether fiction or non, we can make it a book selection.

Does there have to be only one selection per month? There might be others who want to do a fiction book. while others are doing the nonfiction book.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 03:04:50 PM »
Does there have to be only one selection per month? There might be others who want to do a fiction book. while others are doing the nonfiction book.
If there's a book you'd like to read and discuss, post it here so we can see if anyone is interested... it might help if you post a link for purchase and perhaps a brief summary or review of the book. If you're interested in sci-fi and whatnot, you may find a few other folks who want to read and discuss the newest Stephen King book with you. *shrug*

No, definitely not. I thought that's what I was trying to say here ^^^, but I can see now that it wasn't really that clear. I was just kinda thinking that if you mention a book in the Suggestions thread (or wherever), and someone else says "hey, I'm in" then start your thread and go for it.

We can have 2 or 3 or 17 discussions going on at the same time. We might have folks who want to participate in more than one discussion at a time... all of that is fine.

There aren't really any rules (except the one I made especially for you  :D :D :D).

Offline rayjohnson83

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.facebook.com/rayjohnson83

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 09:23:53 AM »

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 10:06:09 AM »
I was kiddddddding..... ;D

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 10:10:22 AM »

it is a short book, read it in one night but still profound

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 10:20:43 AM »
I say frequently, I think I'm the only person in the world who didn't get that book. It truly went all the way over my head.

It was required reading when my company went through a(nother) CEO change back in 2003 or 2004. We had 5 CEOs in the 3 years I was there the first go 'round. So my boss ordered several hundred copies and had a town hall meeting for us to discuss it. Even after the discussion, I still didn't get it. :-[

Oh well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up