LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for Future Books  (Read 41929 times)

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

Re: Suggestions for Future Books
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2011, 01:27:05 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Misunderstood-God-Religion-Tells-About/dp/1935170058

Seems interesting

I was intrigued but it's kinda 'bleh' to me through the first 30% of the book.  I'm reading Institutes of the Christian Religion far more.
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

blyempowered

« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2012, 10:34:29 AM »
What about Mere Christianity during the summer?

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2012, 06:55:07 AM »
What about Mere Christianity during the summer?

I'd add it to my rotation.

I also strongly suggest 'The Release of the Spirit' by Watchman Nee.  My Bishop has bookshelves lined with good books so I asked him to recommend a book and his eyes lit up.   :D

He recommended abou 6-7 books and 'The Release of the Spirit' was the one he said really changed his life.  I'm reading it and I LOVE it!  It breaks down what hinders us from knowing/experiencing God.
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2012, 09:10:40 AM »
I really struggle with Watchman Nee. :-[

I remember years and years ago, one of my mentors highly recommended one of his books (don't remember the title, but I still have the book). It was small and very few pages, but the language barrier was too great for me to overcome. Ever since then, I've been really reluctant to try another one of his books. Every time I see one in the bookstore or on someone's shelf, I'll flip through it and feel that same brain-tied feeling I felt with that first one I tried. :(

But I'm willing to do Mere Christianity over the summer, if you guys want to. I still haven't started The Grace of God and about 5 others that I bought... just sitting on the shelf waiting for me to finish school, I guess. :D
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2012, 11:29:55 AM »
I wouldn't mind reading this book collectively. I'm gonna order it just so I don't forget, but I probably won't get to it unless I have some accountability.

Twelve Ordinary Men by John MacArthur
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2012, 02:12:50 PM »
I really struggle with Watchman Nee. :-[

I remember years and years ago, one of my mentors highly recommended one of his books (don't remember the title, but I still have the book). It was small and very few pages, but the language barrier was too great for me to overcome. Ever since then, I've been really reluctant to try another one of his books. Every time I see one in the bookstore or on someone's shelf, I'll flip through it and feel that same brain-tied feeling I felt with that first one I tried. :(

But I'm willing to do Mere Christianity over the summer, if you guys want to. I still haven't started The Grace of God and about 5 others that I bought... just sitting on the shelf waiting for me to finish school, I guess. :D

Not this particular book.  It's pretty straightforward.  It isn't like Shakespeare or anything.

A few quotes:

"Anyone who serves God will discover sooner or later that the great hinderance he has in the Lord's work is not others, but himself."

"The basic difficulty of a servant of God lies in the failure of his inward man to break through his outward man."

"Strange to say, many are still treasuring the alabaster box, thinking that its value exceeds that of the ointment.  Many think that their outward man is more precious than their inward man.  This becomes the problem confronting the church."

Many of Watchman Nee's books are small.  This one is small as well.
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up