LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for Future Books  (Read 41917 times)

Offline MissMusic04

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Suggestions for Future Books
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2011, 03:08:14 PM »
We can start a discussion thread if there are any parts or themes y'all wanna talk about.

I read so many novels that I really would have to skim through it again to remember what happened in it, but I'm willing.
+1

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2011, 03:11:21 PM »
I just remembered what it was. It was about a woman whose mother had died when she was young, she was raised by her father who was a pastor. She herself was a preacher, but she didn't get much play at her church bc of the woman preacher issue. Her father was going to retire so she expected she would inherit the pastorate, but he decided to give it to a man. That man turned out to be her ex, whose wife had recently passed away leaving him to raise their little daughter alone.

They started dating and blah blah blah... it was a decent read, just not enough to make me want to read another one like it.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2011, 11:02:53 AM »
I just remembered what it was. It was about a woman whose mother had died when she was young, she was raised by her father who was a pastor. She herself was a preacher, but she didn't get much play at her church bc of the woman preacher issue. Her father was going to retire so she expected she would inherit the pastorate, but he decided to give it to a man. That man turned out to be her ex, whose wife had recently passed away leaving him to raise their little daughter alone.

They started dating and blah blah blah... it was a decent read, just not enough to make me want to read another one like it.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2011, 11:22:16 AM »
ROFLMBO!!!!!!
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2011, 07:38:49 AM »
Yall are going to get sick of me saying this but I would love to suggest "Battlefield of the mind" by Joyce Meyer. ;D

Is this the book you are talking about?

"Battlefield of the mind devotional : 100 insights that will change the way you think 1st ed. "

Or is it this one?

"Battlefield of the mind : winning the battle in your mind "

well never mind it doesn't matter no copies are available at my local library

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2011, 08:36:50 AM »
I don't have a specific suggestion, but I'd like for our next book to be something light and upbeat. I want to laugh a little.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2011, 09:15:14 AM »
I don't have a specific suggestion, but I'd like for our next book to be something light and upbeat. I want to laugh a little.

I'm with that.

I do want to get started on the Dave Ramsay book, but I can do a novel at the same time.

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2011, 05:09:15 PM »
Is this the book you are talking about?

"Battlefield of the mind devotional : 100 insights that will change the way you think 1st ed. "

Or is it this one?

"Battlefield of the mind : winning the battle in your mind "

well never mind it doesn't matter no copies are available at my local library
This one. It's not too heavy either. My husband even read this book....so it has to be good. My husband HATES too much drama....
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline pastor rob

• LGM Member
  • God is still good!

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2011, 05:42:47 PM »
hello everyone. i know i'm late to this party. are you guys going to read the joyce meyer book? also, read a lot of the carl weber books. cool light fare. i know this series is old, but, now that i have a kindle, (still gonna get an ipad) i've been reading the "left behind" series.

also, a guy name frank peretti has a series from a few years ago. this present darkness, piercing the darkness, etc. christian fiction stuff. glad to see others read indeed.

one last thing at u13, i'm gonna study those $ books. thanks for the tip/
In Him,

Pastor Rob

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2011, 06:12:38 PM »
I've been reading 2 books this week.

The Millionaire Fastlane. Its like Rich Dad Poor Dad on steroids. Much more useful info and less crap.

I'm also reading the story of the founder of FUBU, called Display of power. Both are great books for the  aspiring entrepreneur

one last thing at u13, i'm gonna study those $ books. thanks for the tip/

No problem
I'm with that.

I do want to get started on the Dave Ramsay book, but I can do a novel at the same time.

What day do you want to start? I'll make up a schedule this week. Is July 11 enough time for everybody to buy the book?

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2011, 06:24:28 PM »
@U13, It's enough time for me. Yayyyy!!!

@everyone else - Since everyone seems to like Carl Weber and some are looking for a "lighter" book, anybody want to suggest one of his that you haven't already read? I'm not really a fan and I don't keep up with him, so I'm no help. But I'm willing to read one w/ you guys.

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2011, 06:25:24 PM »
*Clears Throat*

I haven't read the rest of the thread, so pardon my barging in...but here are a few suggestions:

The Reason For God by Tim Keller (studying belief in an age of skepticism)

The Me I Want To Be by John Ortberg (becoming the me we want to be. Self-explanatory, but a good book. One I reference often.)

The Geeks Shall Inherit The Earth by Alexandria Robbins (one of my favorites. Examines students who are labeled "Geeks" and how the same characteristics that cause them to carry the label are the same characteristics that propel them to success in life.)

Freakanomics by Steven Levitt (for us Economics freaks)

Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer (a study of memory techniques)

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell (how people succeed in life)

Tempted and Tried by Russell D. Moore (about facing temptations. Very nicely written, might I add)

Too Big To Fail (the inside story of how Wall Street and Washington fought to save the financial system and themselves)

The Pixar Touch (the making of the cinema powerhouse known as Pixar)

A Taste of Irrationality by Dan Ariely (a study of how people make predictable irrational decisions and how the market takes advantage of these)

Blue Like Jazz by Don Miller (one of my favorite books, but I don't know if it's fit for a book club. It's more like a journal).

Erasing Hell by Francis Chan (comes out next Tuesday. Discusses Hell, is it real, what's it like, and why our culture is so adamant on erasing it.)

As you can tell, I have a slight case of ADD when it comes to books.  ;)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2011, 06:35:38 PM »

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell (how people succeed in life)

That's in my amazon cart. I'ma try to get to that soon.

There's also a book I wanna read called "Sundown Towns", about the places where black people were not allowed to be after 6 pm. This was going on until 1968. Has anybody read it?

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2011, 06:48:41 PM »
IRT Sundown Towns, never even heard of it but that's my kind of book. I would LOVE to read that.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2011, 12:36:57 AM »
IRT Sundown Towns, never even heard of it but that's my kind of book. I would LOVE to read that.

http://www.amazon.com/Sundown-Towns-Hidden-Dimension-American/dp/156584887X

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2011, 12:34:13 PM »
:( none of the books are really saying read me ... :( I might just have to sit out until I either find a book or someone starts reading something that I find interesting.

Offline chevonee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Back and better than ever!
    • God's Glory

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2011, 08:42:54 PM »
Strike while the iron is hot!

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2011, 10:10:22 PM »
Couple more...

"Visioneering" by Andy Stanley (God's blueprint for developing and maintaining vision)

"Think" by John Piper (The Life of the mind and the love of God) <--- great book to study. It's DEEP.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
Has anyone read this before? http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Life-Coach-Learn-Best/dp/0785261907

meh ... sounds like a person who took their job and then needed an extra source of income so they applied the gospel to every area they could.

Offline JustBritt

• LGM Member
  • *Sigh*

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2011, 02:37:32 PM »
IRT Carl Weber. I think I've read them all lol. I'm not sure... I'll try to find out what I haven't read yet, though.

Those are the only type of books I'll read.  :-\ Everything else.... I get a lil ADDish.  :D  :D
~Moving Forward~
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up