LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Who here plays Classical Music?  (Read 4251 times)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Who here plays Classical Music?
« on: May 23, 2011, 08:54:29 AM »
Who here can (or likes) to play classical music??
:)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Who here plays Classical Music?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 09:57:21 AM »
Me, it's my 2nd favorite genre of music. I'm trying really hard to get back into sight-reading and become better at it. My faves:

Chopin
Beethoven
Mozart
Joplin
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 09:59:59 AM »
I listen to it, but I dont play it yet. I need to start though.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 10:06:55 AM »
Classical music has taught me to appreciate the melody more. I'm usually pro-bass, but once u step in the classical world, melody rules.

Tiptip357

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 10:09:31 AM »
   I do.  It's fun sight-reading a piece...shoooo, I just love reading sheets, even though I haven't been playing by sheets in church much.

Me, it's my 2nd favorite genre of music. I'm trying really hard to get back into sight-reading and become better at it. My faves:

Chopin
Beethoven
Mozart
Joplin

I would have to say that classical would be like my 3rd favorite genre, and to add to your list, I would put Johannes Brahms and Franz Liszt up there...

Tiptip357

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 10:13:23 AM »
Oh, and I also gave that "classical look" (jazz and gospel have the "stank face")  :D :D :D

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 10:36:03 AM »
If you use ITunes, Go to the ITunes store and do a search for:

Rise of the Masters

Great classical music at a cheap price.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 09:26:36 PM »
shoooo, I just love reading sheets, even though I haven't been playing by sheets in church much.

Me too. Right now I'm trying to learn a couple Chopin pieces (Revolutionary Etude, Pololaise in C# minor) and  a slew of Jolpin rags. Reading the music is fun and keeps me on my toes.

Oh, and I also gave that "classical look" (jazz and gospel have the "stank face")  :D :D :D

I know what u mean.

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 10:20:59 PM »
Wow, T-block, you have the technique to play Revolutionary Etude????? :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Chopin Revolutionary Etude op 10 no 12

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 11:10:54 PM »
Wow, T-block, you have the technique to play Revolutionary Etude????? :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Ummm...that would be a NO, lol.

Seriously, I can play all of the RH chord parts, and I can play some of the beginning runs, but that's about it. And forget playing it at the speed it should be played. I can do it at about 1/4 speed. The biggest thing about this piece is fingering. One day boss man, one day!!

Offline Blessingss

• LGM Member
  • My Soul seek God's Perfect Will

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 01:34:44 AM »
I like reading so much too and I'm not sure whether this is would be a good start or not; pls give a feed back:   
Worship

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 05:38:28 AM »
Seriously, I can play all of the RH chord parts, and I can play some of the beginning runs, but that's about it. And forget playing it at the speed it should be played. I can do it at about 1/4 speed. The biggest thing about this piece is fingering. One day boss man, one day!!

Oh snap, dude! The fact that you can even attempt those left hand urns at the beginning is sick!  :o

**Bows down to T-Block**

The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 08:44:46 AM »
Oh snap, dude! The fact that you can even attempt those left hand urns at the beginning is sick!  :o

**Bows down to T-Block**

EXACTLY!!!!

I want to play Chopin's Fantasia Impromptu.  Its like a 5 year goal of mine.  T-Block, you have inspired me to practice. :)

Tiptip357

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 09:19:10 AM »
Me too. Right now I'm trying to learn a couple Chopin pieces (Revolutionary Etude, Pololaise in C# minor) and  a slew of Jolpin rags. Reading the music is fun and keeps me on my toes.

I know what u mean.

Great list!  I love how classical has helped my LH speed. Quality practice with the metronome definitely helps.  I should upload a recording of me playing Transcendental Etude No. 10 in F minor by Liszt.  I played that at Jury, 2 years back, at the end of that school year.  Of course, it was played by memory, so the sheet music I used to practice was very colorful! LOL!

If you use ITunes, Go to the ITunes store and do a search for:

Rise of the Masters

Great classical music at a cheap price.

Schweet! Thanks, 4HG!

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 12:11:20 PM »

Chopin Revolutionary Etude op 10 no 12

Now the question is, can he do that in ALL 12 Keys????

My mind works in repetition and patterns, which is probably why classical music never appealed to me much. Probably also why bass is more natural to me as well.
Also the classical music ive been previously exposed to seemed to be more about showing skill and virtuoso more than feeling the music (reminds me of the kid who can do all the tricks with the basketball, but seems clueless of what to do in a real game), so maybe my opinion is a bit biased.

But i guess giving it a listen might open up some new patterns. Anyone know of good classical music at a moderate pace, rather than blazing speed insanity? lol.

For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Tiptip357

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 12:31:16 PM »

My mind works in repetition and patterns, which is probably why classical music never appealed to me much. Probably also why bass is more natural to me as well.
Also the classical music ive been previously exposed to seemed to be more about showing skill and virtuoso more than feeling the music (reminds me of the kid who can do all the tricks with the basketball, but seems clueless of what to do in a real game), so maybe my opinion is a bit biased.

But i guess giving it a listen might open up some new patterns. Anyone know of good classical music at a moderate pace, rather than blazing speed insanity? lol.

IRT to the part in bold.......yea, it is. :D :D :D

Because I started in classical,  you can hear it in my playing at church.  I think I'll upload some of that, as well.  I actually have some classical music that's more "contemporary," I guess.  I'll look in my library at home and get back with you.               

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 01:59:49 PM »
I really envy you sight readers. That is a skill i wish i had taken more seriously. I think i might just go back to taking lessons.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »

Classical isn't about playing in all keys

Classical is allll about passion and  emotion but different from gospel.  Classical deals with stuff that really isn't talked about by "church musicians"

-Precision
-Balance
-Articulation
-Dynamics
-Tone
-Pedaling

Its just entirely different.

Tiptip357

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 02:32:56 PM »
I really envy you sight readers. That is a skill i wish i had taken more seriously. I think i might just go back to taking lessons.

You should, Fenix!  I think you'll do great if you stick to it!  A thing that's challenging for some is the patience that's required to learn to read.  We see where we want to be and would like to have arrived at that destination, yesterday.   In the end, you'll surely see the fruits of your labor.  Stay focused and be patient.  In my playing, I always want to make sure that I remain humble and teachable.  I say, "Go for it!"  :)

Tiptip357

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 02:36:43 PM »
Classical isn't about playing in all keys

Classical is allll about passion and  emotion but different from gospel.  Classical deals with stuff that really isn't talked about by "church musicians"

-Precision
-Balance
-Articulation
-Dynamics
-Tone
-Pedaling

Its just entirely different.

Yes!  I'm thankful to be able to bring that training to the musicians at church. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up