LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who here plays Classical Music?  (Read 4187 times)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: Who here plays Classical Music?
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 09:19:14 PM »
EXACTLY!!!!

I want to play Chopin's Fantasia Impromptu.  Its like a 5 year goal of mine.  T-Block, you have inspired me to practice. :)

I'm trying to learn that one too, lol. The hardest thing is the timing. You got a 3 pattern in the RH against the 4 pattern in the LH, all playing at the same time. My brain can't keep that straight.

I should upload a recording of me playing Transcendental Etude No. 10 in F minor by Liszt.  I played that at Jury, 2 years back, at the end of that school year.  Of course, it was played by memory, so the sheet music I used to practice was very colorful! LOL!

Ummm...Heck-to-the-yeah, you need to upload that A.S.A.P. cuz I wanna hear it. :D

Now the question is, can he do that in ALL 12 Keys????

U know, I've actually tried to take some classical pieces and learn them in other keys. The thing is, the composers wrote the pieces in that specific key for a purpose. IMO, it really doesn't do the pieces justice to play them in other keys.

I believe one of the greatest lessons u can learn from classical music is PRECISION. Everything has to be 100% in its proper place to really get the most from the classical pieces. The right fingerings at the right time with the right dynamics can mean the difference between success and failure. It's definitely a genre of patience and long-suffering, lol.

If u like slower tempos, here are some pieces I recommend:

"Prelude No.4 in E minor" - Chopin
"Raindrop Prelude" - Chopin
"Funeral March" - Chopin
"Nocturne in Eb, Op.9, No.2" - Chopin
"Moonlight Sonata, Mvt. I" - Beethoven
"La Fille Aux Cheveux De Lin (The Girl With The Flaxen Hair)" - Debussy
"Gymnopedie" - Erik Satie
"Heliotrope Bouquet (A Slow Drag Two-Step)" - Joplin
"Solace (A Mexican Serenade)" - Joplin
"Adagio For Strings" - Barber

I could go on and on and on, lol.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 09:50:41 PM »
Classical isn't about playing in all keys

i know. it was a joke referencing all the threads here and the keyboard room where folks mentioned u arent a real musician if u cant play ur stuff in all keys. forgot this was the internet and didnt put a "lol" at the end. sorry.

Classical is allll about passion and  emotion but different from gospel.  Classical deals with stuff that really isn't talked about by "church musicians"

-Precision
-Balance
-Articulation
-Dynamics
-Tone
-Pedaling

Its just entirely different.

Oh i totally get that definitely. i guess for all the technique, i miss the musical ideas that are attempted to be expressed. it could be just me. i have been exposed to a few things where i can pick that out, but not too many. its not like most folks u talk to have their ipod loaded with classical music to get suggestions. I guess most of my opinion comes from me being a bass player (from most instruction that i've ever had, those key aspects are heavily dealt with for us in jazz) so i guess i listen with a different perspective, looking to get something from it possibly different from what a pianist may seek, so maybe i havent come across the right set of pieces that present what i may be seeking.

IRT to the part in bold.......yea, it is. :D :D :D

That part about "maybe being biased". It was a lighthearted comment. I know my opinion is biased. The fact that its an OPINION makes it biased by default. I like what I like, but if I dont like it, that doesnt by any means indicates that i dont respect it. i truly do. Many styles of music i check out, study because i respect it and can learn and incorporate some aspect of it and know it can enhance my playing. still doesnt mean it becomes a favorite.

i truly hope nobody thought i was slamming the music or insulting music that they like.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 11:10:32 PM »
People tend to use the term "Classical" for mainly European music from about the time of Vivaldi/Bach (17th century) to Ravel/Debussy in the early 20th century, with outliers like Purcell, Renaissance madrigals and some of the more tonal contemporary film composers. All these get played on local Classical stations.

But in Music History the term Classical is applied to music of the period from Mozart to Beethoven, with the Baroque era before and the Romantic composers after that...

Tiptip357

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 03:15:19 AM »

That part about "maybe being biased". It was a lighthearted comment. I know my opinion is biased. The fact that its an OPINION makes it biased by default. I like what I like, but if I dont like it, that doesnt by any means indicates that i dont respect it. i truly do. Many styles of music i check out, study because i respect it and can learn and incorporate some aspect of it and know it can enhance my playing. still doesnt mean it becomes a favorite.

i truly hope nobody thought i was slamming the music or insulting music that they like.

No, you're good, and I knew what you meant.  That's why I added a few of these:  :D

You aight.  ;)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 09:03:36 AM »

I didn't get that at all either. :)

Do Baroque and Romantic count as Classical?

Most people will consider all that "type of music classical" :) even though Its not.  Especially Baroque era musicians (like Bach).  They played the Harpsichord not the piano.

:)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2011, 04:12:43 PM »
Baroque, Romantic, Renaissance, Minnimalism, etc. hey it's all classical to me, lol. :D :D
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

SupraSkytop

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 05:03:44 AM »
Me, it's my 2nd favorite genre of music. I'm trying really hard to get back into sight-reading and become better at it. My faves:

Chopin
Beethoven
Mozart
Joplin

Offline GospelEngineer

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2011, 06:33:08 PM »
Classical is what I started out playing. I don't play it as much now but I still pull out the sheet music and brush up on it occasionally.

This is one my favorite pieces to play

Sergio Fiorentino -- Chopin Waltz Op.64 No.2 in c sharp

I'm currently working on this one.

Friedman: Chopin "Minute Waltz" (1924)

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 05:49:29 AM »
That is it! I may be 27, but i refuse to believe i cannot learn to play classical music! I am taking lessons!
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 08:33:32 AM »
I used to. Its good for reading. But to keep my reading up now, I read songbook transcriptions (ie. Judith McAllister/Herbie Hancock/Horace Silver/Cedar Walton)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
That is it! I may be 27, but i refuse to believe i cannot learn to play classical music! I am taking lessons!

Fenix, I hear you.  I'm 37 and I made that decision 4 months ago.  I was tired of limiting myself.
:)

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 07:31:50 AM »
Fenix, I hear you.  I'm 37 and I made that decision 4 months ago.  I was tired of limiting myself.

You're kidding!

No, seriously, you're ONLY 37?  :-\  ;D
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up