LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gospel/Christian songs for Graduation  (Read 48504 times)

SketchMan3

Gospel/Christian songs for Graduation
« on: May 24, 2011, 05:34:31 PM »
Ok, so I just found out that my family has to sing a song for my brother on his 12th grade graduation. Being the instrumentalist and not a singer, I have been dubbed as the one to select the song -_-;

So, does anyone know of any good, easy to learn songs that would be appropriate for a Graduation? I'm at a complete loss. "Never Would Have Made It" is too solo centric. We have 2 women and a girl singing, and I'd be accompanying them on guitar.

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Gospel/Christian songs for Graduation
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 07:04:30 PM »
I was thinking maybe "Seasons" by Donald Lawrence but maybe the chorus would fit better than the verses, though.  Idk  Check out Israel Houghton's "Moving Forward".  It's more about moving forward in Christ but it may work. *sjonshrug* (EDIT 8:40pm:  There are tutorials of "Moving Forward" on Youtube.  This is another song I didn't think about before I posted.  I might as well delete this entire thing then. :(  Hezekiah Walker has a version of this song with a choir that could help you guys figure out the vocal parts.)

"Great Expectations" by Youthful Praise is a good song, however it may be hard to do acoustically.

If I think of anything later I'll be sure to let you know.

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 07:31:56 PM »
I didn't think too much about the difficulty of the songs I picked.  :-\  Sorry about that.  If you do a song like "Seasons" maybe you can change the vocal arrangement a bit like this:

Donald Lawrence and the Tri-City Singers - Seasons

Chorus in Unison: [everyone]
I feel seasons everywhere,
and I feel blessings in the air;
(those seeds that you've sown),
(you're gonna come into your own, seasons),
walk into your seasons.

(in the song the chorus is sung once with a soloist and one with everyone.  Maybe you should just do it once with everyone then go to the verse)

Verse 1:
[Female 1]
I believe we're in a time
when God's gonna bless the saints,

[Female 2]
those who have stayed, those who have prayed,
He's gonna fulfill the promise He made;

[Female 3]
for I heard the Spirit say, it's your time,
the wait is over, walk into your season.

(Chorus w/ harmony)

Verse 2:

[Female 1]
I know that you've invested alot,
the return has been slow, you throw up your hands

[Female 2]
and say I give up, I just can't take it anymore;
but I hear the Spirit say, that it's your time

[Female 3]
the wait it over, walk into your season.

Bridge: [Everyone in harmony]
You've survived the worst of times,
God was always on your side;
stake your claim,
write your name,
walk into this holy place.

[Female 3]
(I hear the Spirit saying, that it's your time, the wait is over)

I totally forgot about this part.  I guess if you could break into two part harmony and give the solos to two people or have female 3 keep going until it gets down to "I heard the spirit say....walk into your season"  Maybe if they're really creative they can find a cool way to sing the vamps without the soloist.  I think having them just sing the vamp the way it's written might get boring after a while.  Maybe you can jump down to "walk into your season" repeated 4xs with each female adlibing something like:

All:  Walk into your season
Fem 1:  Happy graduation day
Fem 2:  He wants the best for you
Fem 3:  Now is your time

Vamp 1:
The wait is over it's your time. (repeat)

Vamp 2:
The wait is over. (repeat)

Ending:
(I heard the Spirit say,
that it's your time,
the wait it over),

walk into your season. (repeated)

-------------------------

Josh Groban's "You Raise Me Up" is a graduation favorite, but it's a solo song.  I guess you could break up the verses and sing the chorus in harmony.

Offline Val215

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Virtuously Gifted

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 12:03:05 PM »
Let's see:

Can't give up now - Mary Mary
Grateful - Hezekiah Walker
It's your time - Luther Barnes

That's all I can think of right now.
Check me out on Facebook at Virtuously Gifted and on Instagram at virtuouslygifted_215

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 06:42:39 AM »
K, I think we're getting warmer. Let's see... I guess a graduation song would be about moving forward, relying on God, continuing the hard work to get to the next level, etc. Man... I feel like I've totally failed in this project.

Hmmm...and there you have it.  :D
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Val215

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Virtuously Gifted

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 07:52:26 AM »

Yep :) I was also thinking Another Breakthrough by Israel.
Check me out on Facebook at Virtuously Gifted and on Instagram at virtuouslygifted_215

Offline Val215

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Virtuously Gifted

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 10:27:41 AM »
Ummm...a did I miss something? I guess Google shall be my friend today...

He was referring to the song "Moving Forward" by Israel Houghton. I think Hezekiah Walker has a version as well.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 11:36:39 AM »
He was referring to the song "Moving Forward" by Israel Houghton. I think Hezekiah Walker has a version as well.

Everybody and they mama has a version of the song now.  :-\ ::)
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 11:40:17 AM »
Maybe you can do a personalized version of Destined for Greatness (Ricky Dillard)?
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 01:08:46 PM »
It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday?

Do I Make You Proud?

Imagine? (Ok, that's a personal fave.... lol)
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 01:23:19 PM »
Everybody and they mama has a version of the song now.  :-\ ::)

I was working on "Moving Forward" by Israel Hougton last night just to see how difficult it is.  The whole song is finger picked and even with the tutorial I used (because only one of the two are good enough for me to learn from) I don't think I learned everything in the song.  There are a few shapes that are difficult for me and the notes don't ring out like I'd want them to, but that's because my barre needs to be stronger.  If you have a week to learn it and have a strong barre then it maybe a good song. 

My other concern is the "You make all things new" inversion.  If his singers (particularly his soprano) can't do that inversion it sounds weird.  Also the "you" for the inverted part uses the same notes as the "you" for the regular part so it might be hard for them to jump from that to "make (inverted)".

Maybe you can do a personalized version of Destined for Greatness (Ricky Dillard)?

I found the song on rhapshody.com.  Great lyrics for a graduation, but the song may be a bit difficult to translate to guitar.  Note, I haven't tried it yet so I can't gauge how difficult it actually is, but it sounds like it would be difficult for me.  If I have time, I'll try the song and report back.

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 02:23:20 PM »
The best group songs I can think of are "Don't Stop" by Fleetwood Mac and "Say Goodbye" by S Club (formerly known as S Club 7)  :-\  I'm sure there are tabs for both these songs.  The verse's lyrics have different singers singing different parts already.  I think you can give each singer 2 parts.  The easiest of the two, imo, would be "Don't Stop".  "Don't Stop" has 3 verses.  :)

Offline Val215

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Virtuously Gifted

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 04:15:40 PM »
Well, thanks for all the help, guys. We ended up deciding on "Can't Give Up Now" by Mary Mary. I know everyone and their mother-in-law has done that one before. But hey, who cares? It's a very appropriate song. Thankfully we all pretty much know this song, which is good because we have to perform it Sunday. Yep. Sunday. V_v. The only difficulty is lies on me now, translating it to guitar.

"Moving Forward" would have been perfect if we had the time. Thanks everyone for your help. Hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future.

Will this help: http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/m/mary_mary/i_just_cant_give_up_now_crd.htm

Offline Colton3310

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 02:11:45 AM »
Hi, about the graduation slideshow songs I have one webpage to tell you.
There are various graduation music for different use. Here it is:http://www.kvisoft.com/tutorials/graduation-slideshow-suggestion.html
Thank you. Hope it can help you a lot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up