LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Feeling overwhelmed  (Read 1987 times)

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Help! Feeling overwhelmed
« on: June 01, 2011, 12:09:44 PM »
Okay, I admit I am one of those who sometimes read prayer requests but don't respond to them.
But now I am the one in the need of prayer...am feeling overwhelmed in my role at the music ministry in our small church...

Currently our 10-12-person choir performs once a month, usually w/background tracks. Pastor now wants us to "step up to the next level" by singing more often, and live, with me directing from the keyboard, no tracks. He also wants them to commit to coming to every practice and service - if they can't, they are out. He has called a "mandatory" meeting after service Sunday for me to explain this to them.

Problem is, I am the only musician there. Just me, Pastor on drums, and a conga player. Our choir is getting better, but they are only just now getting to the place where they can sing parts. Some of them can't sing at all (but are slowly getting better at finding their pitch). I can play and sing at the same time, but is very difficult to play, listen over the drums and bring the choir in on cue - the reason I resorted to tracks in the first place.

We rehearsed Ken Reynolds' "Great Things" last night  - with the track, then live (more energy, most people preferred that). Afterwards I explained to Pastor that this could work for the simpler songs where we all sing in unison, but I, or someone, needs to direct them on the more complex songs. He basically said, "then stick to the simpler songs". I am a bit frustrated - I want them to grow, to develop their musical and spiritual gifts, and IMO this limits them to easier "praise team" type material. Not good for those who see 'How Sweet the Sound' choirs and aspire to that level.

I do want to meet with them and reinforce the need for practice, prayer, etc. - but I would like any choir 'rules' to come from the members themselves, not be dictated from above by the leadership. Is that unreasonable? Most in the choir are very loyal and dedicated and do come to every practice; it is only 2-3 who because of jobs, etc. miss some practices.

So please, pray. That God helps us handle this with wisdom and tact. We have already had some problems with having choir practices cancelled when they collide with other events (like - no warmups for the choir on Easter morning). And with me doing rehearsals for the childrens' choir once a month, praise team each week, and choir once a month I feel that I am reaching my limit. All this is unpaid. Every week? I don't think I can handle it. I told him 2x/month - maybe I can put that off a month or so.

I don't want to ask for pay, but do want some time off - but am afraid of Pastor's reaction.
What would you do?

(will also post this in the MOM room - so mods feel free to re-direct or delete)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

Re: Help! Feeling overwhelmed
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 12:22:33 PM »
I just wanted to let you know I'll be praying for you. I'll meet you in the MOM room to answer your question. :)
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 12:24:23 PM »
Thanks....and God bless...

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 06:41:02 AM »
pray for you Bet.

Just out of curiosity-why the big rush on pastors' part?The way you put things;it seems like he's got a agenda/bee in his bonnet.

It sounds like an accident waiting to happen.Is he open to hearing a little wisdom?

Looks like a self- destruct thing;so enamored of "big time" than LORD's timing-putting you in a no-win thing.(imo)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 07:11:26 AM »
pray for you Bet.

Just out of curiosity-why the big rush on pastors' part?The way you put things;it seems like he's got a agenda/bee in his bonnet.

It sounds like an accident waiting to happen.Is he open to hearing a little wisdom?

Looks like a self- destruct thing;so enamored of "big time" than LORD's timing-putting you in a no-win thing.(imo)

Totally agree with that.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 10:01:35 AM »
pray for you Bet.

Maybe he wants to participate w/us - play drums - this thought occurred to me yesterday. Understandable, but the thing is the whole power dynamic changes when Pastor is in the room. Over time I have learned to let him run Praise team rehearsals - he is the leader there - but he has had to learn to let musicians go over chords, parts, etc. not do the one-take "Ed Wood" approach to a song. I think maybe he sees other pro choirs and wants us to get up to that level. Me too. But IMO quality has to be built up, not hyped up.

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 02:35:38 PM »
well said
Pages: [1]   Go Up