LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I don't want to be a root player!  (Read 1421 times)

Offline kingjames59

• LGM Member

I don't want to be a root player!
« on: June 29, 2011, 01:22:42 PM »
I love holding down the bottom but i want to add flavor to my playing.  Are root player wanted in gospel?

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

Re: I don't want to be a root player!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 12:27:36 PM »
The root player is the player at the starting point. Depending upon the church, even in the gospel genre they may feel blessed to have a member who can only play roots as the chord changes who has actually stepped forward is faithful and adds to the team. Other places with pro or higher level players may see you as someone to mentor as they help you build the skills necessary to take a turn playing before the main service.

^^^ what he said

StooB

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 03:20:52 AM »
I have been a root player for 15 years, only now am I relearning my instrument by making shure I know my fretboard notes, scales and arpeggios. If you are faithful in the small things (this also applies to your own interests) then God will reward you by taking you deeper into your instrument, IN YOUR OWN TIME.

Take it easy, enjoy what you do, ply in the pocket, but explore what the bass is, a multifaceted instrument that can bring joy to many.

Learn your notes, scales and arpeggios and practice, you can do it!  ;D

tewest86

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 12:56:59 PM »
What they said.  Learn your different Modes and Arpeggios and you're good to go.  You can take the same Mode use different timing, order of notes , etc... and come up with an unlimited supply of stuff.  Listen to guys like Derrick Hearn one  "One More Chance" and other upbeat songs and not only learn what they're doing, but try to understand why and how.   However, sometimes the root is all you NEED.  There are ways to feel up space without running all over the fret board but I can't explain it to you.  I can show you but it's hard to teach.  I learned it over time.  It's one of those things that can't be taught.  Like on slow songs, you're playing the rood but you may add different accents or dead notes or little swirly swirls  ;).  I can't even put it in words.  I may make a video to show you what I mean.

Offline kingjames59

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 04:56:17 PM »
Wow! all of your responses are inspiring.  I have been practicing my modes and arpeggios but I am not sure how to add them to a song.  When I listen to other people play they are playing more than 1-3-5-7-8.

Keep me in your prayers!

Offline browntree

• LGM Member
  • www.reverbnation.com/btree

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 05:45:48 PM »
Sometimes it's really helpful to find a mentor... someone you can work with to help you get the "ideas" out of your head.  And when you are practicing at home, don't be afraid to try to toss something in.  Be bold, even if you make mistakes.  Quite often you can learn something from the mistake, and you might even surprise yourself. 

StooB

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
The problem with music is, that practicing both technically (modes, scales arpeggios) and practicing techinque and feel all take time and things only start to 'click' after a long time. As I have said, I've been playing bass and guitar for years but only now are things starting to click and gel.

Don't do an arpeggio for arpeggio's sake, but always think about your end point - the next chord or run. So do an arpeggio but look to fit it musically into the next move, you can do it, if you know your fretboard well, turn off the light and play, everything clicks in time - the right time  ;)

Offline browntree

• LGM Member
  • www.reverbnation.com/btree

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 09:46:43 PM »
The problem with music is, that practicing both technically (modes, scales arpeggios) and practicing techinque and feel all take time and things only start to 'click' after a long time. As I have said, I've been playing bass and guitar for years but only now are things starting to click and gel.

I believe that this is a really good point.  It does take time...

I think of practicing in three phases.  I start with the basics...scales and arpeggios, with a metronome. Then I move to scales and arpeggios with a purpose... i.e. improvisation.  That's trying to work in ideas with an ending in mind (as StooB said).  Lastly its fitting all of it into a song (or whatever musical arrangement).   Record yourself...
IMO, it's really all about trying to add more tools to your musical tool box. 

StooB

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 02:00:09 AM »
I start with the basics...   Then I move to scales and arpeggios with a purpose... 

That's bass practice 101 right there  :)

Offline mjl422

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 09:55:38 AM »
Check out some of these video lessons.  Hopefully, these will be helpful.

http://www.learngospelmusic.com/forums/index.php/topic,52325.msg841391.html#msg841391 (Uraiah's lessons: Check out "Filling in the gaps")

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeremyrbass#p/u/22/yj6IszRRsMk (JeremyR on using modes in your playing)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Torch7 (Torch7's Youtube channel has alot of helpful info)

Offline kingjames59

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 05:53:49 PM »
YOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Yall about to make me go IN!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!

GOD IS GOOD!!!!

Offline cordney

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • We will meet again!!!

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 07:29:17 PM »
Another helpful website is www.playbassnow.com.  I use some of his ideas and try to incorporate them into my playing...
‎"It is okay to fail, it is unacceptable to become a failure"
Pages: [1]   Go Up