LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 56316 times)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2011, 07:04:34 PM »
Hehehehe...
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2011, 05:55:21 PM »
Wasn't joking. lol

I gotta get up on some other stuff though, the last 5 books I read could probably be categorized as self help.

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2011, 03:37:39 PM »
The Grace of God

I've been studying grace recently and it's been eye-opening.  This book is good.  Not great but good.
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

blyempowered

« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2011, 07:11:26 AM »
The Grace of God

I've been studying grace recently and it's been eye-opening.  This book is good.  Not great but good.

I've been thinking about getting this book, but tell me why you think it's good and not great (may determine if I get it or not).

Offline malthumb

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2011, 05:33:56 PM »
Hoda Kotb's book, "To Kill A Mockingbird", and "War of the Worlds"

Recently read Tina Fey's book, "Bossypants". Hi-larry-us!
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2011, 09:04:02 AM »
I've been thinking about getting this book, but tell me why you think it's good and not great (may determine if I get it or not).

The author brings out some examples of Grace that I never recognized before.  Very interesting insight.

But it isn't 'meaty' enough for me.  I was expecting a theological perspective.  I haven't read the entire book yet so I'll have to hold off on my final review.
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

blyempowered

« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2011, 12:44:45 PM »
The author brings out some examples of Grace that I never recognized before.  Very interesting insight.

But it isn't 'meaty' enough for me.  I was expecting a theological perspective.  I haven't read the entire book yet so I'll have to hold off on my final review.

Oh ok. I see....

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2011, 09:19:59 PM »

Bolded for emphasis.

The layout of the book is interesting.  I'm at the halfway point of the book and the first half dealt with Grace in the Old Testament.  The author went over the stories of several Old Testament characters and highlighted God's Grace in their lives.  It's been eye-opening.  The second half will deal with Grace in the New Testament.

It's a good, borderline-great book so far.

EDIT (11/28): I've been reading this book almost non-stop since yesterday and I just had one of those rare eye-opening moments while reading.  No matter how the rest of the book is, it is officially a great book for me.  The author's insight into the Grace of Jesus Christ is beautiful and life-changing.  It has caused me to look at the bible, God, and His Christ in a brand new light.  I'm actually going to start a thread based on some of the things I've read and what has been revealed to me by the Holy Spirit.  I highly recommend it.
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2011, 09:30:18 AM »
Wow, I can't wait to read this book!!! I wish you had invited us to read it along with you.

Anybody want to do this one with me?
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline Hasmonean1

• LGM Member
    • HVAC International Parts

« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2011, 11:51:40 AM »
LGM POSTS

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2011, 12:05:22 PM »
Wow, I can't wait to read this book!!! I wish you had invited us to read it along with you.

Anybody want to do this one with me?

I always saw the Bible as being divided into The Law (Old Testament) and Grace (The New Testament).  It was as if I thought He suddenly added Grace to His character in the New Testament.

Look at Cain?  The Lord actually reached out to Cain.  He spoke to him and urged him to do the right thing.  Grace.  I believe the Lord saw the intent to kill Abel in his heart.

Even after he killed his brother the Lord set a mark on him that no man would kill him and vowed to take vengeance on anyone who did!  Grace.

Look at Abraham?

God saw, of all people, AN IDOL MAKER and told him:

1 Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:

2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:

3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

What did Abram do to deserve such a great blessing?  Nothing.  This was Grace.

Not only that, but what did God ask of Abram?  Nothing.  Grace doesn't add requirements because if you have to earn it it's no longer Grace.

I used to think that following The Law as closely as possible was God's requirement for the Children of Israel to have a relationship with Him, but that isn't true.  The Law was simply to preserve the integrity of a pre-existing relationship, NOT a requirement to have one!

The relationship had already been established with Abraham.

I have a daughter.  I have rules I want her to follow.  Whether or not she follows those rules does NOT change the fact that she is my daughter.  It would be crazy for me to require her to follow my rules before she's born.  Obedience doesn't determine ownership.

Abraham was a coward and a liar.  Jacob was a deceiver.  David, the man after God's heart, was a lustful, murdering adulterer.  Yet time and time again God's love and Grace was extended to them.  Jonah was rebellious and HATED the gracious aspect of God's character, though God's Grace was shown to him time and time again.

Look at Rahab?  A Canaanite prostitute who was grafted into the Israelite family and became the great-great-grandmother of David (which makes her an ancestor of Christ!).

And don't get me STARTED on the knowledge he's dropping in the New Testament.  There's so much I'm missing, but it's really life-changing stuff.
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

blyempowered

« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2011, 06:49:38 PM »
YES! I did some independent scriptural studying of grace (need to get back on it too) and my gosh it is amazing! God's grace is so amazing! How in the world have we had this fundamental truth of the scripture wrong for so long? I also thank God for Pastor Ramsey and his grace teachings! Wow! God is amazing!

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2011, 02:03:37 PM »
The Grace of God

Finished it today.  Very, very good book.
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2011, 10:30:16 PM »
Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin

Supremely deep.  Calvin's arguments and counter-arguments to atheism are profound.  The connection he makes between knowing oneself and knowing God are quite interesting.
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2011, 09:34:36 AM »
I finished the first game in the 'The Hunger Games' trilogy:

and now I'm on the second book:

Great, great books thus far.  You know those books that you can't wait to read?  The ones that make you long for time alone so you can find out what happens next?
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2011, 02:58:06 PM »
I'm reading "Hinds' Feet on High Places".  Because of finals I'm listening to the audio book version.  Honestly I don't know if it's the writing or the narrator but there are parts that seem really corny.  Some things were just overdone to the point where I, as redundant as I can be sometimes, was like "I get it!  Get on with it!"  As I was driving I imagined it as an overacted Christian play at someone's church where people jump out of character to say certain key lines because they feel as though the audience won't get it (or clap) if they don't.  Also, one piece of the allegory thus far seems theologically incorrect.  I could be wrong.  I've been wrong before.  I'm trying to get through this book in a certain time frame, so I'll be listening to chapter 2 on the way home.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2011, 05:15:05 PM »
I'm reading "Hinds' Feet on High Places".  Because of finals I'm listening to the audio book version.  Honestly I don't know if it's the writing or the narrator but there are parts that seem really corny.  Some things were just overdone to the point where I, as redundant as I can be sometimes, was like "I get it!  Get on with it!"  As I was driving I imagined it as an overacted Christian play at someone's church where people jump out of character to say certain key lines because they feel as though the audience won't get it (or clap) if they don't.  Also, one piece of the allegory thus far seems theologically incorrect.  I could be wrong.  I've been wrong before.  I'm trying to get through this book in a certain time frame, so I'll be listening to chapter 2 on the way home.

I get similar feelings, trying to wade through THE PURPOSE-DRIVEN LIFE. Perhaps because it is set up in a 40-day devotional format, using unfamiliar Bible translations, having to turn to the back to find Scriptural references. Appreciate the points Warren makes, but the way it is set up makes me feel talked at, not to...

Am thinking about checking out Mario Puzo's THE GODFATHER. Anybody read that - is it worth it? Is it better than the movies?

blyempowered

« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2011, 07:52:55 PM »

I get similar feelings, trying to wade through THE PURPOSE-DRIVEN LIFE. Perhaps because it is set up in a 40-day devotional format, using unfamiliar Bible translations, having to turn to the back to find Scriptural references. Appreciate the points Warren makes, but the way it is set up makes me feel talked at, not to...

Am thinking about checking out Mario Puzo's THE GODFATHER. Anybody read that - is it worth it? Is it better than the movies?

That's interesting you bring that up as I'm in the middle of the Purpose Driven Life book....LOL!!

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2011, 12:02:20 PM »
I finished the first game in the 'The Hunger Games' trilogy:

and now I'm on the second book:

Great, great books thus far.  You know those books that you can't wait to read?  The ones that make you long for time alone so you can find out what happens next?

I finished those, went on to read and finish the third book in the trilogy:

Excellent, excellent series.

Now I'm reading:

Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby