LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 55368 times)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

What are you currently reading?
« on: July 14, 2011, 09:04:01 AM »
I picked up 4 new books at Barnes & Noble on Tuesday.

I started reading one last night: Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin. She's one of my favorite novelists.

Thus far, I'm enjoying it, but I'm dreading the storyline. I actually wouldn't have bought the book had it not been marked down from $26.95 to $6.98. It's about a happily married couple (he's a pediatric plastic surgeon, she's a former psychologist, now stay-at-home mom), and a single mother of one (she's an attorney) whose lives cross paths when the single mom's son is accidentally burned at a sleepover. The husband becomes the boy's surgeon. The single mom and husband develop an attraction.

At this point, they haven't acknowledged the attraction yet, so I'm just dreading what's going to happen. The book is written from the perspectives of the two women, alternately.

It's good so far.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline JustBritt

• LGM Member
  • *Sigh*

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 01:21:42 PM »
Interesting.......

I need to visit B&N I've only been there once in my lifetime lol.
~Moving Forward~

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 01:39:43 PM »
I'm readingRich Dad poor Dad again

Also reading a book called E-Millions, that profiles people who made millions on the internet.

Just started a book called Internet riches about setting  up a business online, but I'm sending it back as its way too basic

Also reading "Chicken soup for the entrepreneur's soul", itkweam has some interesting and inspiring stories.

Also reading a book on marketing called "Getting Business to Come to you"

Yeah, I must really have ADD.

Offline JustBritt

• LGM Member
  • *Sigh*

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 01:42:58 PM »
I used to read those Chicken Soup books. I have no idea where they went. You lend out books and their gone forever. Just like I had "A Child Called It" and I had the 2nd part to it. I lent it out, never saw it again.

I still hadn't finished reading it. I just may buy all the books.

Hmmm.......that's definitely a thought.
~Moving Forward~

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 01:52:55 PM »
Digital Exposure Handbook by Ross Hoddinott

1-2-3 Magic for Teachers

Spiritual Man by Watchman Nee

Offline malthumb

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 06:48:35 PM »
Just finished "Car Guys vs Bean Counters" by Bob Lutz.  Now starting "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"

FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

blyempowered

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 09:10:11 PM »
Celebration of Discipline: The path to spiritual growth by Richard J. Foster. I'm in the next to last chapter on guidance. Very deep book!

Not a fan: Becoming a completely committed follower of Jesus by Kyle Idleman.

Living by the book: the art and science of reading the bible by Howard G. and William D. Hendricks. Very good book for those who just want to improve their bible reading and those who are considering preaching/pastoral/teaching positions and opportunities.

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 10:18:48 AM »
Nothing, at the moment.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 10:25:14 AM »
Half-way through the book and they have had a few tense moments, but no sex yet. I'm glad. I'm dreading it.

Although the author makes the single mom a character you want to root for, I have decidedly sided with the wife, and really feel bad for her.

Reading this book can make a woman pretty insecure, though. It's just pretty depressing to see that even the most solid, seemingly perfect marriage is susceptible to the temptation of cheating. These are all really good people, with integrity and morals. Just no reason to cheat, other than the fact that feelings arose. And who ignores their feelings? *sigh*
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 09:54:58 PM »
currently reading: Introduction to relational databases and SQL Programming.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 08:40:37 AM »
I just finished Southern Lights by Danielle Steele. It was pretty good. Didn't end the way I wanted it to, though. I think it might be time for Danielle Steele to hang it up though.

That other book I referenced (Heart of the Matter) turned out to be a very good read, unbelievably well written, but I didn't like the ending. It was like she had a maximum # of pages she couldn't go over, and when she looked up, she only had 2 more pages she could fill, so she crammed the ending into 2 pages. It was weird. But still a good book.

Offline mztee09

• LGM Member
  • ↑-ward bound

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 09:29:06 AM »
Hi everyone,  I'm currently reading Third Watch by Bodie and Brock Theone.  It's a historical novel centered around the first century and is awesomely written.  It's kind of hard to describe because the book is part of a series based on the Gospels and is  a work of fiction.  The books flesh out the lives of those who'd been touched by Jesus in a real and powerful way....really good read though.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 10:14:10 PM »
I just finished Southern Lights by Danielle Steele. It was pretty good. Didn't end the way I wanted it to, though. I think it might be time for Danielle Steele to hang it up though.

That other book I referenced (Heart of the Matter) turned out to be a very good read, unbelievably well written, but I didn't like the ending. It was like she had a maximum # of pages she couldn't go over, and when she looked up, she only had 2 more pages she could fill, so she crammed the ending into 2 pages. It was weird. But still a good book.

so what happened between the husband and the single lady?

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 10:01:47 AM »
so what happened between the husband and the single lady?

SPOILER ALERT

The man slept with the single lady one time. He broke it off with her, went home looking sad, the wife knew something was going on and asked him if he had an affair. He started crying and admitted to it. She asked if they slept together; he admitted that they had only one time. She put him out. He begged and pleaded and after a couple of months, she let him back in and they got together. The book ended when he came back home.

Offline JustBritt

• LGM Member
  • *Sigh*

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 11:20:31 PM »
I am currently reading I Samuel.
~Moving Forward~

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 02:27:46 PM »
SPOILER ALERT

The man slept with the single lady one time. He broke it off with her, went home looking sad, the wife knew something was going on and asked him if he had an affair. He started crying and admitted to it. She asked if they slept together; he admitted that they had only one time. She put him out. He begged and pleaded and after a couple of months, she let him back in and they got together. The book ended when he came back home.

hmm ...  thank you :)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 04:18:14 PM »
I'm starting "The Purpose Driven Life" again today. I've started it a zillion times, but I've never gotten all the way through it. My friend and I are going to read it together. Hopefully we can make it through all 40 days. :-\

Hey, come to think of it, that would make a good Book Club book.

Offline camille

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 11:45:40 AM »
Just finished two books:  "The Help" and "Heaven Is for Real".

Offline MissMusic04

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 12:00:41 PM »
Just finished two books:  "The Help" and "Heaven Is for Real".

Ohhhhh! I'm going to order The Help. How was it?

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 12:07:57 PM »
Who's the author?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up