LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 55379 times)

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #140 on: August 30, 2012, 10:03:41 PM »
The Family Corleone - prequel to The Godfather, published this year.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12918218-the-family-corleone

IMO leaders could learn a lot about running an organization from Vito and Michael...

blyempowered

« Reply #141 on: September 14, 2012, 07:23:21 PM »
"Grace: More than we deserve. Greater than we imagine" by Max Lucado. This book is amazing!!! Let me share some nuggets from the book! I was so happy to find out that my friend purchased this book today.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2012, 01:15:18 AM »
Am slogging through Bill Clinton's BACK TO WORK - interesting ideas about the economy, but can get partisan and wonky...

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2012, 09:38:57 AM »
Am slogging through Bill Clinton's BACK TO WORK - interesting ideas about the economy, but can get partisan and wonky...

one thing i never liked about bi-partisan support or lack there of is that even if the politician agrees with a plan sometimes for a variety of reasons the politician will vote against it.

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #144 on: September 26, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
About to start reading Andy Stanley's new book...

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2012, 12:59:54 PM »
About to start reading Andy Stanley's new book...

That's mah boy.  Let me know how it is.

EDIT: Nevermind.  Dowloading to my Kindle Touch as I type this.   :)
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

Offline dingster1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • DINGTHING

« Reply #146 on: September 28, 2012, 01:21:30 PM »
Resurrecting this.

The Master's Call- Dennis Cramer- discusses the ever changing call of God on our lives

Re-re-re reading Your Spiritual Gifts Can Help your Church Grow- C. Peter Wagner- (preparing a boot camp for new teachers)

40 Questions about Elders and Deacons and Why Elders? (research for our Sr. Pastor on the subject)

a couple books on   Baptism in the Holy Spirit and spiritual language in response to some questions from a friend on the the subject

blyempowered

« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2012, 09:48:31 AM »
Gotta edit my signature but I'm starting "Gospel" by J.D. Greear (TJ mentioned this book either last year or sometime this year) and it's amazing and challenging!

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #148 on: October 17, 2012, 03:10:59 PM »
Today I got a book on Christian Apologetics called: Gravity: True for you but not for me and Making Whiteness: The Culture of Segregation in the South, 1890-1940 which goes over the psychology and sociology behind segregation.

Still reading Gandhi's autobiography (which is pretty long) so I don't know when I'll get time to read these.
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2012, 09:47:33 PM »
I'm reading Economix, a graphic novel about the history of the economy. I'm also reading "How to be Black" by Baratunde Thurston.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #150 on: October 18, 2012, 10:11:21 PM »
am slogging through "Joseph Anton" - Salman Rushdie's account of his going into hiding because of the Fatwa threats on his life because of his book "The Satanic Verses". It's 600+ pages, a lot of it is repetitive, reading like the children of Israel in the wilderness - "we went here, then there, then this other place". Don't think I can finish it before I have to return it to the library next Mon.

OTOH, does make some good points about the rise of extreme Islamists and the importance of free speech...

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #151 on: October 22, 2012, 10:20:42 AM »
I'm reading Economix, a graphic novel about the history of the economy. I'm also reading "How to be Black" by Baratunde Thurston.

How is that book going?
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

Offline kodacolor

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2012, 12:52:51 PM »
How is that book going?

Right now I'm on the chapter "Do You Know What an Oreo Is".  I like it so far.  It's humorus.

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #153 on: October 24, 2012, 10:39:31 AM »
Right now I'm on the chapter "Do You Know What an Oreo Is".  I like it so far.  It's humorus.

Cool
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #154 on: December 25, 2012, 10:13:18 PM »
2nd Thessalonians

blyempowered

« Reply #155 on: December 28, 2012, 01:14:59 PM »
2nd Thessalonians

We're doing a church-wide teaching/preaching series out of 1 Thessalonians next year. I'm getting ready to do a quick overview to get some ideas on how to teach 1 Thessalonians with relevancy to real life issues.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #156 on: January 02, 2013, 11:22:55 PM »
We're doing a church-wide teaching/preaching series out of 1 Thessalonians next year. I'm getting ready to do a quick overview to get some ideas on how to teach 1 Thessalonians with relevancy to real life issues.

cool, I didn't know some churches did it that way tie your teaching lessons into sermons. It makes sense.

off topic

I was having a conversation with my wife about why I don't like to attend sunday school. At one point I said I wish it was after the sermon and that the sunday school lesson was about getting deeper into what was just preached. We both knew it wouldnt fly but still I think I would like that at least the conversations after church wouldn't be about he sho did preech today

blyempowered

« Reply #157 on: January 03, 2013, 01:21:03 PM »
cool, I didn't know some churches did it that way tie your teaching lessons into sermons. It makes sense.

off topic

I was having a conversation with my wife about why I don't like to attend sunday school. At one point I said I wish it was after the sermon and that the sunday school lesson was about getting deeper into what was just preached. We both knew it wouldnt fly but still I think I would like that at least the conversations after church wouldn't be about he sho did preech today

There are pros and cons to it. Some of the pros include the entire church being on the same page vs having 4 to 5 different discussions. Also, it forces/allows teachers to talk about the topic pastor preached on from different angles. The cons of it is that sometimes it can feel redundant and sometimes limits the creativity of the class depending on what class it is. Oh and another pro is that it saves money. We don't buys Sunday school books anymore.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #158 on: June 10, 2013, 10:01:34 PM »
Am going to start LET IT GO by Bishop T.D. Jakes. Applies to me.

Thoughts?

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #159 on: June 10, 2013, 10:02:24 PM »
Psalms
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up