LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 56141 times)

blyempowered

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #160 on: June 11, 2013, 05:55:05 AM »
Am going to start LET IT GO by Bishop T.D. Jakes. Applies to me.

Thoughts?

Sounds like a good read!

I'm reading a lot right now but more specifically I'm reading again through Ecclesiastes for one of the projects I'm working on and a couple of other books.

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #161 on: October 04, 2013, 03:14:38 PM »
In the bible: Judges

What else: Deep & Wide (Andy Stanley)
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

Offline Quieter

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #162 on: October 04, 2013, 05:10:10 PM »
I really enjoy my Sunday School Commentary and Unbeweaveable by Katrina Spencer
I sought the Lord, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.  Psalm 34:4

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #163 on: October 04, 2013, 08:51:27 PM »
finished the Bible again, now reading

a Play, Sing, Dance -  Doug Goodkin (an orff pedagogy music education book)

blyempowered

« Reply #164 on: October 06, 2013, 02:35:34 AM »
I'm reading several books including:

-"Money, Possessions and Eternity" by Randy Alcorn
-"His Needs, Her Needs" by Willard Harley

Offline musicbishop

• LGM Member
  • Me and the spoiled one

« Reply #165 on: November 01, 2013, 08:34:21 AM »
Just finished:

Being a Black Man at the corner of progress and peril

Hoping to pick up:

The souls of black folk
The Chapters before life really begins don't matter, but, the ones after can never be erased

Jasonbaker87

« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2014, 06:20:08 PM »
I'm reviewing an old one, Animal farm/

Offline gozpeljunkie

• LGM Member

« Reply #167 on: December 06, 2014, 02:39:25 AM »
I just got finished with Introduction to a Journey by Robert Mulholland and Renovation of the Heart by Dallas Willard. The former was my favorite of the two. This is part of my review on those books:

Invitation to a journey was an easy read.  Its language was accessible and vivid, painting a picture with increasing clarity.   There was no doubt as to what were the intentions of the author, calling to self-diagnose one’s spiritual life, presenting the integration of the social sciences into the matter of discipleship and spiritual formation, and teaching on the personal and classic spiritual disciplines.  The author is obviously a believer in Jungian psychology and personality traits in particular.  Nevertheless, he is even more an advocate of prayer, fasting and the Word, to which he adds on particular practices of the ascetics and monastics of centuries past.  With Mulholland, he takes discipleship to the level of “being” instead of doing.   And he is holistic in his approach, in saying that people need to foment the opposite side of their personality (what Carl Jung would call one’s ‘shadow self’).  In saying such, he is advocating for whatever spiritual practices are adequate to each particular individual rather than offering a cookie-cutter approach to spirituality.   He calls readers to a total dependence upon Christ and to a renouncing of all ways of selfishness and control within their hearts.  And he also exhorts the readers to undertake the journey of spiritual discipleship and discipline, not for their own benefit alone, but for the sake of serving the body of Christ and serving others who do not know Jesus.  Finally, he urges the readers to live a life of social justice as a manifestation of the spiritual discipleship and growth of their newfound journey.

Renovation of the Heart is a very challenging book, both in the difficulty of its reading level and in its indictment of the human condition.  After reading this book, one does truly realize how thoroughly ‘lost’ every area of our society really is.  I am not one given to conspiracy theories, however, I walked away thinking that the “world around us is under the control of the evil one.” (1 John 5:19)  I was left with a sense of despair about people’s present plight. Nevertheless, I was also very hopeful about what God wants to do in our lives.  To Willard, the transformation must begin in one’s mind. Then, it will extend to one’s feelings. (emotions, sensations or desires, Willard 120) From there, the surrender of the will (heart or spirit) to the will of God will make people Christ-like.  While I might not particularly endorse C.T. Studd’s “Don’t Care a ****” Campaign, Willard is on to something with his call to focus in will, but for good. (Willard 153) Anyways, Willard does not seem to be afraid of controversy, speaking out against both the social structures at large and at the extremists within present-day Christianity-in short, all those who belong to the status quo.  He gives a particular place of sanctity to the human body as central to God’s plan.   He also speaks of “taking all this literally” in such a way that is reminiscent of Alfred Adler’s organ dialect. (Willard 166) 
Willard speaks also of “assault and withdrawal” as two forms of evil that wound others, which permeate relationships at every level. (Willard 181)  He would have us not remain cold to each other, but rather be proactive about restoring every one to where they ought to be.  He replaces the oft-employed definition for the “soul” with “what is at the depths of a person’s being that cannot be communicated using terms like ‘person’ or ‘self’ or various available pronouns.” (Willard 206)

One might think of Mulholland’s book as rather a workbook to accompany one’s faith and seeking of the LORD.  Keep it in the Bible case, and visit and revisit regularly, as often as needed.  The steps to follow in Lectio Divina are particularly helpful techniques in regular feeding of one’s spirit with the Word.

Renovation of the Heart would be a useful book for weeklong retreats, getaways and as a companion booklet for spiritual conferences and renewal seminars.  It stands as a prophetic witness, calling back the people of our nation to God’s rule in their hearts and to Christlikeness in every aspect of their lives.  The student should read both of these books on vacation time, setting aside the necessary time to participate in every action of introspection and to engage in every spiritual discipline proscribed here.  I am thankful for the opportunity to have read these books, and I give Renovation of the Heart a rating of four out of five.  And I give Invitation to a Journey a rating of a five out of five.

Works Cited:
Mulholland, M. Robert. Invitation to a Journey: A Road Map for Spiritual Formation. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 1993. Print.

Willard, Dallas. Renovation of the Heart: Putting on the Character of Christ. Colorado Springs, CO: NavPress, 2002. Print.

Rev. Alejandro Ramirez
Music Instructor
My YouTube page: https://tinyurl.com/yb22lark

Offline Hasmonean1

• LGM Member
    • HVAC International Parts

« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2014, 07:48:03 AM »
Ezekiel
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up