LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Judged????? Scared...  (Read 1360 times)

Offline kenlacam

• LGM Member

Judged????? Scared...
« on: July 25, 2011, 08:19:18 AM »
Just started playing at church as their organist.  I've been playing organ for a long time, but never had to use the feet-pedals, as I have always had a bass player holding down the low end. My issue is, I am not great AT ALL on the foot pedals. I can use them on slow to mid-tempo songs, but shouts are always done with my left hand on the upper register. Here's my issue. It is me, the drummer, and a sometimey keyboardist in the band. The pastor has a speaking engagement this coming Sunday evening, which will be the largest venue he's ever done. So, the choir has to be on point (which is a whole nother subject for another day). Since there are no other organist who is able to validate my playing at my church (so i never really know if I sound good or not), I am very nervous about playing at this engagment, which the church we are going to has SEVERAL musicians.
My question is this: how terrible is it that I can't use the bass pedals for shouting/fat music. Do other organists judge organists who are not proficient with their feet? I need some advice. I do not have access to the chuch to practive my footwork.
Any insight would be appreciated. thanks
death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Re: Judged????? Scared...
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 10:27:36 AM »
#1. Don't worry so much about what other people think. Just do your best for the Lord.

What he said.

As for your question, it depends on the musicians, most will be judging every musician they come across, some dont care.

I dont think that the bass pedals are mandatory for shouts, use your left hand and keep the right hand chords full.

Offline kenlacam

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 10:56:18 AM »
Thank you both for your responses. Under13, I especially thank you because a lot of organists stress the importance of the foot pedal. Where I am in the process of learning it, I was feeling bad for having to use my left hand to run bass for shouts, but now I dont have to feel guilty about it.
Again, thank you both for responding, your words are encouraging. It is sad that a lot of musicians are cut-throat, and some try to tear you down. I really appreciate Spirit-filled musicians who take the time to build up.
I love this site.  ;D
death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 12:07:10 PM »
Musicians are people, too. Some are catty and cutthroat, and some are encouraging and Christ-like. Some can be both, at different times.

I say let your light shine. When you come down to it, ministry's not all about how good WE play...

Offline kenlacam

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 03:07:15 PM »
Musicians are people, too. Some are catty and cutthroat, and some are encouraging and Christ-like. Some can be both, at different times.

I say let your light shine. When you come down to it, ministry's not all about how good WE play...
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! You just hit the nail on the head  ;D It is so easy to lose sight of that when people are judging you ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up