LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help! Too Choppy!  (Read 1265 times)

Offline kenlacam

• LGM Member

Help! Too Choppy!
« on: July 28, 2011, 10:34:50 PM »
I am a bassist/pianist/organist. My band is me, drummer, keys. no bass. Anyways, I have an issue which hinders me from being the best organist i can be. My playing gets way too choppy, almost like I'm playing piano. I keep practicing playing smoothly, but i seem to get too excited and play choppy. I understand there are moments where rhythm is needed, but I think I could use vast improvement to sound more like an organist, instead of a pianist who plays organ.
Any advice?
death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live

Offline jtandfolk

• LGM Member

Re: Help! Too Choppy!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 03:52:16 PM »
Great question.  In my opinion, I think that your approach to playing the organ should involve several elements.  First, your fingering should be such that your transitions are relatively close to one another.  Your voicings shouldn't be all over the place.  Secondly, your approach should be one of "padding".  Hold your chords longer (more of a legato  feel v.s. staccato).  Don't bounce your hands and fingers on the organ, instead "snake" your fingers when playing.  I hope this helps you.  Be blessed.

Offline kenlacam

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 11:45:24 AM »
Yes, it does. thanks! I do tend to move my hands around a LOT, so that would explain the choppiness. I noticed that I was bouncing around a lot, instead of holding the notes down a little longer as well. It seemed that I was competing with the keyboard player, but he is soon to be gone, so I will be playing the board on top of the organ.
Thanks for your suggestions. I will definitely put them to use when I play. It is going to take some self-discipline, as it is new to me, but I want to be as smooth as possible.  ;D
death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live

Offline kenlacam

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 10:10:30 AM »
 ;D Good idea!!!! The only thing is, though, I tend to be stone-faced when I'm playing. I will try to channel my engergy, though, bc I need to smooth it out BIG TIME.
Pages: [1]   Go Up