LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: The LGM Book Club  (Read 29529 times)

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

Re: The LGM Book Club
« Reply #160 on: July 07, 2011, 03:07:02 PM »
finally started reading about proof texting

However I didn't know the new testment was arranged in order of length. (not that it mattered to me just an interesting thought)

I also like the point the author made about how people (even I did this) quote scriptures out of context.

blyempowered

« Reply #161 on: July 08, 2011, 06:21:52 AM »
Wrong thread....LOL! But yeah you're right!

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #162 on: July 08, 2011, 08:26:50 AM »
Wrong thread....LOL! But yeah you're right!

ROFL!!! oops

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #163 on: July 08, 2011, 08:55:05 AM »
I don't care what book you guys choose....as long as it's one that I won't lose interest in.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #164 on: July 15, 2011, 12:35:47 PM »
WOOHOO!!! I finished the book last night

Couple of key points

1. I think chapter 11 was written by the second author. Because the author of that chapter seemed to contradict some points. such as house churches being the ideal setting. And the author of that chapter pointed out how sometimes people are just getting together to eat dinner and still are not about business.

2. I agree with the author (forgot what page) but this book does take quite a bit of courage to read.

3. In one delving deeper section the question was something along the lines that the instutilionzed church is needed to help prevent the spread of false teaching.
The author countered saying essentially that it is a double edge sword because if bad teaching is taught it can spread much faster.

I thought the response was interesting but it wasn't enough to sway me because this particular argument goes either way.

4. I did not care for one of the sources the author use. Where somebody attempted to put the new testament in chronological order and reconstructed what they believed to be the original letters to Paul. So that way the reader can read both the question to Paul and Paul's response. (I may be wrong about the source since I did not read it myself but this is what I gathered from reading)

To me that is just shooting into the dark. The person is guessing at a lot of information. Archeology is mostly guessing and coming up with theories that make sense. *sigh* my blood pressure is rising moving on to the next point

5. The hardest part for me reading this book is when the author provides and example and I'm like well we don't do that at MY church. Or the opposite where I say we already do that at my church.

6. In the end, this book does make me think more about my relationship with God. Even though I was already taught this (see told you #5) but it made me compare my relationship with God to my relationship with my wife. It is staggering the amount of time I spend with my wife. How much I talk and listen to her. How strong my desire is to work for her. The lengths I will go to make sure she is happy. it just does not compare at all.... not sure what I need to do but something has got to change.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #165 on: July 15, 2011, 12:38:53 PM »
oh there was one more point.

I really really like the part about proof texting. I mean I already knew it was a problem but it pointed to me things I didn't originally think were out of context. But that if I don't know what the context is how can I tell if it is out of context!

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #166 on: August 15, 2011, 10:37:35 AM »
funny thing i think this book has made me more accepting of different denominations.

More like, I can understand why certain things are so important to them and it doesn't bother me.

blyempowered

« Reply #167 on: August 15, 2011, 11:21:56 AM »
Hmmm interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up