LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: MID AUGUST/MID SEPTEMBER SELECTION....The Book of Proverbs  (Read 51381 times)

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

Re: MID AUGUST/MID SEPTEMBER SELECTION....The Book of Proverbs
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 10:32:16 AM »
verse 10-19 just really resonated with me last night. I was talking to a fraternity brother about the senseless crime that constantly happens. I wonder if we made tracts with those verses on it would it help one young person hanging out with the wrong crowd...

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2011, 11:25:07 AM »
I think what resonated with me the most was vs 20-33.

Wisdom is not only available to us, but it chases after us, trying to get our attention, but we won't embrace it until we have screwed up so colossally that we can't do without it. And in that time, wisdom will not answer. The most profound verse, for me, was v33: But whoso hearkens to me [Wisdom] shall dwell securely and in confident trust and shall be quiet, without fear or dread of evil. What an amazing promise. So much peace in that promise.

But yeah, PHB, I appreciated those verses you referenced, too. Timely, indeed.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 11:33:09 AM »
verse 10-19 just really resonated with me last night. I was talking to a fraternity brother about the senseless crime that constantly happens. I wonder if we made tracts with those verses on it would it help one young person hanging out with the wrong crowd...

I was reading this and thought about the recent riots in England - and the subsequent police raids on the homes of those looters caught on video...

blyempowered

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 03:06:37 PM »
The first 7 verses are awesome in chapter 1. I like how verses 2-4 clearly lay out the purpose of the proverbs including teaching wisdom & discipline, to give insight and to teach people to live discipline and successful lives. And I also like verse 7 that talks about the fear of the Lord (reverence) being the beginning/foundation of true knowledge, which allows me to see that it's ok to have a bunch of knowledge but it should be rooted in reverence to God....WHEW!!!

blyempowered

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2011, 03:09:47 PM »
Verses 8 through 19 are very encouraging to me about sticking on the straight and narrow path. Wisdom keeps us on the path that is pleasing to God. Verse 16 from the NLT made me think of get rich quick schemes for some reason "They rush to commit evil deeds. They hurry to commit murder." and doesn't get-rich quick schemes that that "rush" and "hurry" component in it? Wow!

blyempowered

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 03:14:04 PM »

I think what resonated with me the most was vs 20-33.

Wisdom is not only available to us, but it chases after us, trying to get our attention, but we won't embrace it until we have screwed up so colossally that we can't do without it. And in that time, wisdom will not answer. The most profound verse, for me, was v33: But whoso hearkens to me [Wisdom] shall dwell securely and in confident trust and shall be quiet, without fear or dread of evil. What an amazing promise. So much peace in that promise.

This basically sums up what I could say about verses 20-33. I just love that personification....whew! You know I've been dealing with a situation in which it's like the person knows what to do but won't do it and these verses spoke to me basically saying that sometimes you have to let people see the consequences of not taking advice and instruction for themselves.

Thank you Lord for chapter 1 of Proverbs. The Word of God for the people of God....thanks be unto God!

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 04:19:56 PM »
Note: It's so much fun reading it in The Message Bible after you've read it in your translation of choice. :D
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 09:39:43 AM »
What version is everyone reading from?

blyempowered

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 09:51:42 AM »
New Living Translation but I may do King James and Message Bible as well.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2011, 10:22:35 AM »
NIV and New Living Translation...

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 10:39:18 AM »
KJV, AMP and The Message (for kicks... lol).

I'm loving Proverbs 2. Wanted to share some thoughts, but I will have to do it later.

blyempowered

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 10:04:40 PM »
The biggest thought I have from Proverbs 2 is this: what if we sought out God's wisdom and understanding as much as we seek out material things? What type of world would this be? Would our churches look different? Would the way people behave in society be different?

Proverbs 2:3-5 from the New Living Translation: "Cry out for insight, and ask for understanding. Search for them as you would silver; seek them like hidden treasures. Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord, and you will gain knowledge of God."

Somewhere in history we decided that seeking money (nothing wrong with money) was more important than seeking the wisdom of God.

Offline JustBritt

• LGM Member
  • *Sigh*

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2011, 09:06:11 PM »
Umm......
What chapter are we on?? 4??
~Moving Forward~

blyempowered

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2011, 09:12:45 PM »
Umm......
What chapter are we on?? 4??

Yep and I'm behind. Last night I forgot to read chapter 3 because I was sooooo sleepy but verse 5 & 6 summarize it for me "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not into thy own understanding and in all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy path."

So tonight i need to read chapter 3 and 4.

blyempowered

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2011, 10:19:25 PM »
Relevant Question for chapter 3: what happens when I lean on my own wisdom/understanding? I'm just startled by how the values of the modern world and values that the book of Proverbs talks about are so diametrically opposed....SMH! Verse 14-15 of chapter 3 explain what I'm talking about. I'm just choosing 2-3 things to share because they is sooooo much contained in these chapters....whew!

As far as chapter 4, the biggest thing I get is that what we are taught from God and potentially our parents we should hold on to. When we do not listen to the wisdom and instruction of God we are prone to go on the wrong path. Thank you Lord!

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2011, 07:38:55 AM »
I'm also a little behind, but I really got stuck on Proverbs 3. It is truly speaking to my spirit and blessing me way down in the city of my sanctified soul! Yes!!!!!!

I'll catch up over the weekend. I'll share my thoughts later on.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2011, 10:38:23 PM »
i feel off ... :(

Offline JustBritt

• LGM Member
  • *Sigh*

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2011, 07:45:33 PM »
Interesting. Veeerrryy interesting.

Has anyone been reading or no? I haven't. :\

~Moving Forward~

blyempowered

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2011, 08:03:49 PM »
Interesting. Veeerrryy interesting.

Has anyone been reading or no? I haven't. :\

Honestly I'm on and off to be very honest. Let me see....today is chapter 8. SMH!!!

Offline JustBritt

• LGM Member
  • *Sigh*

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2011, 08:09:06 PM »
SMH is right. Amazing how we kept up with these other 2 books.  :-\
~Moving Forward~
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up