LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: MID AUGUST/MID SEPTEMBER SELECTION....The Book of Proverbs  (Read 52448 times)

Offline Hasmonean1

• LGM Member
    • HVAC International Parts

Re: MID AUGUST/MID SEPTEMBER SELECTION....The Book of Proverbs
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2011, 08:34:38 AM »
do you think anyone makes something like proverb cookies? You know like fortune cookies but have verses from the book of proverbs?  I doubt it, but maybe in a Jewish restaurant.  The Proverbs is filled with wisdom that a lot of people don't want to hear as oppose to something coming their way as in a fortune.

Its late here, D'wayne Wood is singing "Let Go and Let God" just finished reading the 14th chapter. I know I'm late ...

Have a few questions. We are warned to stay away from fools. What are some of the traits of a fool today? The word says a fool hath said in his heart there is no God.  Their traits will be identified by the way they live.  Any person who lives their life without regard or fear of God.  They carry on about life as if there is no God.  That is not to say that such a person can't be converted though.  They just have the ways of a fool.   

What are some uncommon traits of a fool?  I don't really know about this one.  Maybe if you explain in further detail what you are asking for.

Why is it that we hate the poor? I never understood it. Maybe its not hate but if I"m next to a homeless person who hasn't bathe. I don't want to talk to them. I actually want to go the other way. Or sometimes I see an able body poor person and I have no mercy at all for whatever reason they have to be poor...
Maybe it's the unclean disposition that you hate rather than the person.

okay time to read chapter 15

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2011, 09:41:35 AM »

hmm thanks hasmo :)

regarding the uncommon traits... I guess I was thinking more of a real life application.

For example say you with out to eat with a new coworker. You two are getting along great. However after dinner your coworker treats the waiter like trash. To me that would be a red flag saying hey if your coworker treats a waiter like this than one day they may treat you like that.

So a real life application or real life examples that a person may experience that relates directly to these proverbs.

blyempowered

« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2011, 10:46:27 PM »
Chapter 15

Overall this chapter continues discussion of some particular themes including laziness, the tongue, discipline/correction and so much more. Now to talk about some specific verses:

-15:1, 4 "A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare. Gentle words are a tree of life; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit." There are times when we have to be firm and get straight to the point but we must also understand that there are times when being gentle is necessary. Many people are not received well because of how they say certain things. At the same time we must not be oversensitive to what is said because, again, there are times in which we must be firm. As I've became a little outspoken I have to evaluate myself to make sure that what I say is done in the right spirit and attitude.

-15:10 "Whoever abandons the right path will be severely disciplined; whoever hates correction will die." I'm convinced that we will not make it in life if we are not open to correction. I've had to learn this the hard way. When we refuse to listen, God has to allow us to sometimes face the consequences of us not listening. Some of the hardest times in our lives (facing consequences for actions) are also the times when we experience growth in our walk with the Lord.

-15:14 "A wise person is hungry for knowledge, while the fool feeds on trash." As Christians we should be open to knowing as much about what it takes to live for God the best we know how. I'm reminded of Jesus' words that says "blessed are they who hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled." God I'm hungry for you! If we do not have a passion to grow in God's word and ways, then we should check to see if God's Spirit is living in us. Part of that hunger must also include a passion to apply whatever knowledge we receive.

-15:16 "Better to have little, with fear of the Lord, than to have great treasure and inner turmoil." I believe that God wants us to prosper and have money HOWEVER I believe God is more concerned about our relationship with Him and accomplishing His will than if our will is accomplished. To me it's better to have a 2 bedroom house with God being the center of life than to have a mansion, in a lot of debt, no God and having a bunch of inner issues. I'm convinced that many who are rich in the world go through way more internally than those who have been in poverty-bound situations for years but still believe in God (3rd world countries).

-15:22 "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." Again, we should be open to wisdom for those who are following God's path and those who have the right motives. Many of us have this mindset that as long as I got king Jesus I don't need anybody. That mindset is not the right mindset as we live this life. We need each other and we should never be closed-minded to wisdom that could help us in our journey.

-15:33 "Fear of the Lord teaches wisdom; humility precedes honor." If we believe we can get in prestigious positions without humility we are in for a rude awakening. I am concerned that many preachers in the black tradition are more concerned about being popular and being a star than being humble and making sure that reverence for God is a part of their ministry. Yet I believe those who  try to get to the top too fast will be brought down. We are reminded in the Gospels that if we exalt ourselves we shall be humbled but if we humble ourselves we will be exalted (Philippians 2:1-11).

blyempowered

« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2011, 11:33:45 PM »
Prayer of Application for chapter 15:

Lord we are so grateful for the opportunity and privilege to serve You! We are hungry and passionate for your Word! Allow us to be open to what you want to teach us! Lord we pray you help us to surround ourselves with people who give us advice that will allow us to progressive positively in the direction you want us to go in. We repent for not having total reverence to You. Get us on track and lead us in the right path, amen!

Offline Hasmonean1

• LGM Member

« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2011, 12:38:26 AM »
Chapter 15 ended the contrast of the wise and foolish and now chapters 16-24 will deal with moral, ethical, and spiritual precepts.  Chapter 16 contains many well known scriptures that live by and have been taught for years.  There is a so much to be explored and we shall attempt to expound upon choice scriptures once again.

The first verse that stood out for me was verse 4.  All things were made for him and by him.  As we see, even the wicked were were created for the day of evil (doom).  We were not created for such an end.  In fact we were created to worship Him and worship him we shall.  Of course another song came to mind.

Created to Worship

Sadly enough hell was not originally created for wicked people, but it has enlarged itself to accomodate those who have chosen it to be there home. Isaiah 5:14

I like what verse 7 says about enemies being made to be at peace with a man when his ways please God.  That is very profound.  If we are having issues with our enemies whether it be in person or with nations, then maybe we should check our ways.  This spiritual precept unlocks the key to peace.  It lies solely within our ways pleasing the Lord.  I pray that this country realize this concept.  Because there is a danger of the inverse as we say in the world of mathematics.  If a mans's ways does not please the Lord,  then he maketh his enemies to be a war with him. 

Verse 9 stood out in that often times we make the plans but it is God who gives the direction.  It is important to know who is the director, for it is He and not we ourselves.  So we must continue to pray that the Lord order our steps in his Word and way.  If we allow ourselves to be directed by God, how can we ever fail or fall?

Verse 31 speaks of the hoary head (grey hair) being a crown of glory.  This declaration is dependent upon the subject living in righteousness.  Sometimes when I visit other churches, one of the things I look for would be those of the grey head.  It's quite a blessing to have wise older saints among the body.  These are the ones who have been in the battle for quite some time and know how to survive and thrive.  The glory of the old man is his grey head.  I believe this proverb may come later in the book.  This is true as well contingent upon that old man's standing with God.  Some people go through extensive changes in covering up the grey hairs.  Could it be that some cover and conceal their crown?  It should go as an indication that the person beneath has lived a life pleasing in the eyes of God and though the years behind outnumber the years ahead this person will soon recieve the reward of rewards.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2011, 02:32:20 PM »
I like what verse 7 says about enemies being made to be at peace with a man when his ways please God.  That is very profound.  If we are having issues with our enemies whether it be in person or with nations, then maybe we should check our ways.  This spiritual precept unlocks the key to peace.  It lies solely within our ways pleasing the Lord.  I pray that this country realize this concept.  Because there is a danger of the inverse as we say in the world of mathematics.  If a mans's ways does not please the Lord,  then he maketh his enemies to be a war with him. 

You beat me to it :).

When I read that it made me think of two things.

1. What about those sermons about quote unquote Haters. I must admit I never listen to those sermons ... Might need to go on youtube.

2. How does this verse go with the idea of martyrs? And if we are talking about two different things could you explain the difference?

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2011, 02:34:11 PM »
Oh that reminds me, This chapter felt different.

The previous one were directed to the everyday man. But these verses (at least to me) were directed to those in positions of authority.

blyempowered

« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2011, 02:34:39 PM »
All ill say is that I think we've overdone the "hater" stuff in church. #thatisall

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2011, 03:54:45 PM »
Very good thread guys.
I've just been reading through and feel really blessed.

Ye who have begun a good work in this thread must make sure it is completed [unless if Jesus comes!! ;)]

15 chapters, 135 more to go. 'twill be one interesting journey.
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2011, 03:57:58 PM »
Great tthread.
It's nice to just sit back and hear how God uses others to convey His message..

Keep up the good work guys.
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

blyempowered

« Reply #130 on: September 16, 2011, 05:26:21 PM »
To God be the glory!

blyempowered

« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2011, 09:08:50 PM »
Chapter 16

I'm feeling themes tonight. So here we go with some themes that I see in this chapter.

1. Anti-secular humanism. Verses relevant to this theme include 1, 2, 9,and 25. The basic idea of the secular humanism philosophy is that the individual is the best source for wisdom and guidance. God, according to secular humanism, is not as important or important at all as the individual. I am convinced (by stuff I've seen on LGM and in the church in general) that the 21st century church is headed in a dangerous path to secular humanism. God is becoming something that we use like a refrigerator, only going to Him when necessary. We've embraced moral relativism, which says that nothing is absolute and that there are no standards, no right and wrong, etc. This is why I asked the question a few weeks ago if today's church in America is product of secular humanism. We've turned church into a "what's in it for me" thing versus, "how can God be glorified in my life." These verses indicate that we may think we are right but if we're not careful we will go the wrong way and have nobody to blame but ourselves.

2. God's sovereignty. We see this in verse 4. To be honest, in light of some of the things I've went through with in my life (which in my view have been bad but nothing compared to what others go through) I sometimes have had trouble understanding the sovereignty of God. In the sovereignty of God we believe that God sees and knows all and that everything is working according to his plan. Personally I believe in God's sovereignty but I also believe that God's sovereignty does not neglect our responsibility, as evidence through God giving dominion to Adam and Eve. God's sovereignty reminds me that all things work together for the good of those who love the Lord, those called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28).

3. Humility. We see this time in verses 18 and 19. I am fully convinced that humility is lacking in the body of Christ. "Christian" leaders should emulate Christ in every aspect of life, including our attitude. What I conclude is that if we walk around with an attitude of pride as if we are all that and a bag of chips, we will fall. In ministry and in life we should keep people's praise of us in perspective giving God all the glory and credit for everything done in our life while appreciating the kind words. Humility does not mean putting yourself down (self-destruction); it means seeing God as the source for everything that takes place in our life. For without God I am nothing and I will not make it unless I understand that fully!

4. Importance of our Elders. Verse 31 indicates that it is a blessing to be old (with gray hair) and living/have lived a godly life. What is important in this verse is that gray hair is crown to those who have lived godly. We have to remember that just because someone is old and has gray hair does not mean that they have lived their lives godly. But those who have lived godly and are of age have a lot of insight they can give to those of us who are young. As young people we should not disrespect the elderly (regardless of whether they are living for God or not) but especially those who are living for God. we should listen to their wisdom. They have lived the life and many of them have a heart and want nothing but the best for us. Let us take heed and listen!

Prayer of Application: As a nation and society, Lord we repent for being overly concerned with our needs and not pay attention to what you require of us. As we profess your name let us live the life of total surrender and conviction to you. We pray for a mighty revival in this country that will return us to your face and renew our passion to serve you. We pray pray for humble hearts that in everything that takes place in our life, you will get the glory and the honor. For we live to serve you, amen!

Offline Hasmonean1

• LGM Member

« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2011, 01:43:22 AM »
I wanted to comment on chapter 16 verse 15 but needed to do more study to be sure.   In the light of the king's countenance is life; and his favour is as a cloud of the latter rain. Verse 14 goes with 15 but it was something about 15 that had me puzzled.  So what I'll do here is type the commentary by Matthew Henry as it proves to be helpful.
    How valuable and desirable the king's favour is to those that have incurred his displeasure; it is life from the dead if the king be reconciled to them.  To others it is as a cloud of the latter rain, very refreshing to the ground.  Those are fools who to escape the wrath, and obtain favour, of an earthly prince, will throw themselves out of God's favour.

Offline Hasmonean1

• LGM Member

« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2011, 01:53:30 AM »
2. How does this verse go with the idea of martyrs? And if we are talking about two different things could you explain the difference?

I don't know if I fully understand your question Brother Brown but it seems like it would fit our disclaimer at the beginning of chapter 10.
These short couplets are what we commonly recognize as proverbs (10:1 - 24:34)  They cover a wide range of topics.  Furthermore, statements do not apply universally to all people in every situation.  Rather, they tend to communicate the general truth that the life of those who seeks God fares better in the long run than the life of the wicked person. To do each chapter justice in one day would probably take the full strength of LGM.  It is therefore imperative that we draw from one another and get the measure dealt to us for these times.  With that said, I choose to expound upon choice verses as lead by The Spirit or items of significance in my life that may be presently helpful.

We have to keep that in mind because debates and questions could potentially be overflowing if we did not.

Offline Hasmonean1

• LGM Member

« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2011, 10:29:47 AM »

vs 3 The fining pot is for silver, and the furnace for gold: but the LORD trieth the hearts. 
     Here in verse three we see a bridge map type of comparison being used.  Bridge maps are often used in the education field.  A BRIDGE MAP© focuses on the thought process of seeing
analogies. Students use a Bridge Map to identifying similarities between
relationships and to create analogies. The relating factor between the words
is made explicit and is underlined in these examples: “An apple is a type of
fruit as a carrot is a type of vegetable”. Another example is “1/2 is equal to
2/4 as 1/3 is equal to 2/6.
These analogies relate to purification.  The fining pot is used to purify silver as well the furnace is a key tool in the purification of gold.  And so it is the LORD who only can purify our hearts.   With each there must be heat applied in order to remove impurities.  So don't be alarmed when the Lord turns up the heat.  It won't kill us but rather make us better and more valuable for the kingdom of God.  Jeremiah 17:9-10 Jeremiah  The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.   This has been God's way with his people for quite a long time. Zechariah 13:8-9  And it shall come to pass, that in all the land, saith the LORD, two parts therein shall be cut off and die; but the third shall be left therein.   And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The LORD is my God.  It all reminds me of another old song of Zion.  I like the Albertina Walker version with the choir but this version is settling as I go through the scriptures.
Please Be Patient With Me - Chris Bryant
There was a once a popular saying in my hood where one person would warn another person about mistreating or upsetting them.  They would say, "don't try me"!   Well in the Kingdom of God, those that are his will be, and should expect to be, tried.  In fact, our spirit should be one that cries out try me Lord!!  "I'm yours Lord, everything I've got, everything I am, everything I'm not.  I'm yours Lord, try me now and see, see if I can be, completely yours.   

vs 8 A gift is as a precious stone in the eyes of him that hath it:  whithersoever it turneth, it prospereth.  This one is tricky as it is written in KJV mingled with our modern understanding.  Gift in this verse is referring to a bribe.  It is this bribe that is a precious stone to a man.  He's proud of it and cherishes it, for materialistic gain is his god.   He expects his god to cause him to continue to gain in every area of life.   I had to go into two different study bibles, the Strong's Concordance, Matthew Henry's Commentary, and then when I went to the Amplified Bible it all came together.   (AMP) 8 A bribe is like a bright, precious stone that dazzles the eyes and affects the mind of him who gives it; [as if by magic] he prospers, whichever way he turns.

vs 17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity
   A true friend is characterized here as one who will stick with you through thick and thin.  A true friend will always love you even when he or she must correct you.  Your best interest is always the focus of a true friend.  Therefore  true friends establish themselves as precious commodities in the lives of those whom they befriend. The second part of the verse is a focus of the Men Ministry at my church.  A brother is born for adversity.  We are here to help one another.  No man is an island unto himself.  Men have the propensity to approach and deal with adversity alone.  We must humble and avail ourselves one to another while providing support and accountability.  Then shall the whole Body of Christ grown in strength.

vs 27 I'd love to hear what sister Layla would have to say on this.  She blessed us all when she spoke on excellence some time ago.

vs 28  (Amp) Even a fool when he holds his peace is considered wise; when he closes his lips he is esteemed a man of understanding. A few verses in this chapter such as vs 9 and 20 elude to the advantages of keeping quiet.   Many people have compromised their standing and admiration for the sake of what came out of their mouth.  A person can be seen as most impressively attractive one minute and then destroy it all by the words of their mouth.  Some have mastered this art and some overuse it.  "I won't say anything because I don't want people to think I'm stupid".  Most stupid people will quickly hear and see stupid things.  Those of a sound heart and wisdom realizes where a person is coming from whether it be from sincerity or foolishness.  There is a time to be quiet and a time to speak in the spirit of Ecclesiastes 3.  Are there any readers out there who might be hesitant to join in this exploration of Proverbs for the sake of not looking bad?  If so, please don't be intimidated because we learn from one another and I feel every contribution here will be a blessed contribution.

Lord we thank you for your Word.  Bless us to continue to read and apply your Word to our lives.  For it is by your Word that we shall live.  Ever give us a mind to share and grow, blessing others as we ourselves are blessed.  It is to you that we give all the glory, honor, and praise.  Keep our minds stayed upon you at all times that we might lift up thy name. 
In Jesus Name we pray, amen.

blyempowered

« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2011, 10:44:59 PM »
Chapter 17

Tonight I think I will choose a few verses and give my input on them.

-17:15 "Acquitting the guilty and condemning the innocent--both are detestable to the Lord." It is sad when our judicial system wrong executes those who are innocent and have not been given a fair trial. We should pray for our justice system and pray that those who are innocent will receive a fair chance to prove themselves.

-17:16 "It is senseless to pay tuition to educate a fool, since he has no heart for learning." Why should we try to educate someone who does not want to learn? I like this verse because it is saying that we should not make an invest into someone who is not willing to learn. I also look at this from a mental/psychological perspective. There is no need for us to invest time and energy trying to educate people who do not want to learn. We would be wasting valuable time. For people to learn they must have the attitude of wanting to learn.

-17:17 "A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in the time of need." I sometimes wonder if true friendship even exists in this day and age. I do believe that there are true friends out there but I also believe they are hard to find. It is hard to find someone who will be there for you through thick and thin. It is also hard to find people you can trust to keep certain things confidential. You know who are true friends are not in the happiest moments but in the most difficult moments of life.

-17:22 "A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person's strength." The Bible says that the joy of the Lord is our strength. We should do whatever possible to maintain a cheerful heart. Laughter is good medicine for the soul. We should not spend our lives so angry and hostile all the time. Many believe that anger and many other negative attitudes can affect our life-expectancy and I believe it too! Laugh because it gives strength!

-17:27 "A truly wise person uses words; a person with understanding is even-tempered." As it's been said before, I believe the greatest sermons in life are not the ones declared in the pulpit, but in the lives we live everyday. We should be determined to not have to talk about our spirituality. It should show in our walk and talk. Sometimes I think it's good being a person that does not talk a lot because it makes more room for actions to show. Lord, allow me to walk the walk.

Prayer of Application: Lord, tonight you continue to remind us that we should be open for learning. In all aspects of our lives, allow us to be open to what you're trying to teach us. Teach us how to be more like you. Teach us how to be a better friend. Finally, teach us how to control our mouths. When we want to say a lot, Lord control our tongues that whatever we say may be glorifying to Your name, amen!

Offline Hasmonean1

• LGM Member

« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2011, 02:39:55 AM »
Chapter 18

vs 2 A fool hath no delight in understanding, but that his heart may discover itself.
I like what Matthew Henry says here.  A fool may pretend to understanding but he has no true delight in it.  He does not love his book, nor his business, nor his Bible, nor his prayers; he would rather be playing the fool with his sports.  He has no good design in it, only that his heart may discover itself, that he may have something to make a show with, because he loves to hear himself talk.

vs 10 The name of the LORD is a strong tower: the righteous runneth into it, and is safe.  There is safety in the Name of the Lord.  In that name, we find everything need to sustain us and make us thrive.  Unfortunately many people despise The Name and unknowingly expose themselves to the enemy of us all.  Where there is no defense, there can be no survival but destruction.  The enemy comes to destroy and without that tower the exposed will go as sheep to the slaughter.  Cry loud that those who deny righteousness will come unto the tower and save themselves from this untoward generation.

vs 13 (amp)  He who answers a matter before he hears the facts--it is folly and shame to him.
Some people do indeed take pride in being quick to answer or pass judgement.  We see this often in LGM where a subject is posted and then responses come forth without regard to another perspective.  This verse calls us to be patient in response to a matter.  We should make an inquiry and get facts where it be possible and then share sound wisdom with others.

vs 14 (amp) The strong spirit of a man sustains him in bodily pain or trouble, but a weak and broken spirit who can raise up or bear?
The strong will of a person has brought and can bring that person into good health once again.  We have probably been witness to people who have come from out of the hospital after some serious condition.  We also here the statement "they were strong".   On the contrary, some people pass on when the will to live is no longer strong within them.  But who can bear a broken spirit?  For this we must seek the Spiritual Doctor.  He only can repair the broken spirit.  There are various ways this can be accomplished, too many to be named here but we know where our help comes from; for we look unto hills from whence cometh our help, Our help comes only from the Lord.  Thank You Jesus!!!

vs 16 A man's gift maketh room for him, and bringeth him before great men.
    In order to be in attendance to prestigious places or places of much desire, often times a ticket or invitation is required.  The gift of a man or woman serves as the ticket or invitation to have company among choice people or arenas.  I believe their is a gift or gifts within us all that when cultivated to the maximum can bless many in a great way.  We sometimes have gifts and don't apply them or operate fully in them.  It's amazing how far a person can go and have gone when they find that niche.  Operate fully in the gift that's within and watch the world take notice.   *I know this is easier said than done but it is now my personal challenge*.

vs 20  A man's belly shall be satisfied with the fruit of his mouth; and with the increase of his lips shall he be filled.
Our comfort depends very much upon the testimony of our own consciences, for us or against us.  The belly here is representative of the conscience.  The testimony of our consciences will be for us, or against us, according as we have or have not governed our tongues as well.  According as the fruit of the mouth is good or bad, so the character of the man is, and consequently the testimony of his conscience concerning him.

blyempowered

« Reply #137 on: September 18, 2011, 10:24:46 PM »
Chapter 18

-18:7 "The mouths of fools are their ruin; they trap themselves with their lips." One of the prevalent themes we have seen in Proverbs is the importance of our tongue. While our tongue is the smallest part of our body, it can cause the most damage, not just to others but ultimately to ourselves. Many of us have got in trouble because of our mouth. One theme we should definitely understand once this series is over is that our mouths contain so much life and death. Many of us (myself included) need to work on our mouths and make sure that what we say speaks life and keeps us going in the right direction. Our mouth can either be the propelling stick to us rising or the downfall to us sinking.

-18:15 "Intelligent people are always ready to learn. Their ears are open for knowledge." Those who are intelligent want to learn. I pray that all of us will continue to be teachable. We should have the mindset of wanting to learn, not just spiritually speaking but also in life. The Bible says that people are destroyed for a lack of knowledge. We are destroyed a lot in our community because we are not open to learning. We go solely by what has been taught instead of us examining these things for ourselves. I pray that we will not allow our minds to be closed because "a mind is a terrible thing to waste."

-18:19 "An offended friend is harder to win back than a fortified city. Arguments separate friends like a gate locked with bars." Too many times we get in arguments with the goal to win. Sometimes it's not about who wins the argument but about who's willing to move on after the argument. There are times in which we must take the "peace" route and avoid a bunch of drama. Life is too short for unnecessary drama trying to win arguments.

18:24 "There are 'friends' who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother." What type of friend are you? Are you one that can be depended on? True friendship is about being dependable for one another. We need to be careful who we call a "friend" because the same ones that call us friend could have a knife and stab us with it. Let us be wise in choosing our friends. Friends should speak life to us, not give us a bunch of headaches, especially about petty stuff.

Prayer of Application: Lord we thank You for your Word. We ask that you allow us to be the best friends we can be to those who call us a friend. While in the process let us remember that it is not about who wins the argument, but who can maintain peace. We also ask you to show us wisdom in what we say and how we say it. Allow our tongues to bring life and edification to those who we speak to, amen!

Offline Hasmonean1

• LGM Member

« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2011, 12:29:45 AM »
Proverbs 19

Today I wanted to look at Proverbs 19 in relation to the poor.

Proverbs 19:1
Better is the poor that walketh in his integrity, than he that is perverse in his lips, and is a fool.

Proverbs 19:4
Wealth maketh many friends; but the poor is separated from his neighbour.

Proverbs 19:7
All the brethren of the poor do hate him: how much more do his friends go far from him? he pursueth them with words, yet they are wanting to him.

Proverbs 19:17
He that hath pity upon the poor lendeth unto the LORD; and that which he hath given will he pay him again.

Proverbs 19:22
The desire of a man is his kindness: and a poor man is better than a liar.

We have studied that "the poor we will have with us always".  People in such a state are often looked down upon.  They are often considered a lesser person for the state of their material being.  The Word shows us that such people have advantages over a fool in many ways.  The illustrations have been made in previous chapters as well as this one.  Proverbs 19 lets us know at one point that the spiritual standing of a person outweighs their material gain.  Wealth in this realm doesn't necessarily equate to wealth in the spirit realm.  Jesus even stated that in many cases the riches of a rich man would prevent him from entering into the kingdom of God.  We know that hope and faith placed in riches will not stand when this temporal existence is accomplished. 
    The treatment of the poor is also stressed here.  We should treat them well as if they were our close relative.  When we tend to their needs, its like tending to Jesus himself.  Matthew 25:40 ....Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.  Therefore it's imperative to treat everybody right until we die.  Yes that is from another old school church song. ( "I'm going to stay on the battle field")  I never knew we were sing a proverbial precept so many years ago as a youth.   
      In conclusion we see that just because a person is poor, it does not mean they can't be great in the eyes of the Lord or even do great things.  Two relatively poor men that come to mind is John The Baptist and Elijah.  They didn't have much according to the world's standards but each of them did great things for the Kingdom.  They weren't rich but yet they had all they needed as it was always provided for them.  There was a question posed in the lounge about being famous or rich.  Considering these two men, I'd have to say fame as well.  They were definitely famous but not for selfish reasons.  Their fame came as a result of them serving God.  Some say they were  poor but they actually lived humble.  The word says humble yourselves therefor under the might hand of God that he might exalt you in due time.   Our service and humility unto God can make us famous in due season even if we be poor or rich.  Many poor people have risen to prominence like Tyler Perry.  He once lived out of his car but now is considered one highest moneymakers of the past few years.  So we must be careful of how we entertain strangers and the poor because we never know.

God bless the hearers, readers, and doers of his Word in Jesus Name.

blyempowered

« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2011, 08:09:45 AM »
This is good!! We've got our values messed up in this society! God bless the poor and may we as Christians serve the poor the way Christ would serve them!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up