LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using VSTs, Apple Logic, Protools for live play?  (Read 9220 times)

Offline keyz2life

• LGM Member

Using VSTs, Apple Logic, Protools for live play?
« on: August 12, 2011, 03:21:41 PM »
hey fam -

I am really interested in hooking up my midi keyboard (from my macbook) to play in a live service on Sunday and whenever.  Have any of you all tried this?  How efficient is it? and does the soundman have to turn your volume up a little higher since you'll be going through an interface?

I've seen this setup and wanted to know if any of you all have had this experience.

thanks  in advance...

Offline apex

• LGM Member

Re: Using VSTs, Apple Logic, Protools for live play?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 01:55:55 PM »
I used a macbook pro during our convocation last month and it was problem free the entire week.  I just ran kontakt through mainstage and had a nice layer of the MKS piano 1 and ep 2 and everything else was from modules or my keyboards.  I just used the headphone output and went directly into my mixer.

it works good, but just test your system to see where its limits are.  you don't want to get in church service and get a surprise....

what exactly are you trying to run (what VSTs), etc...
I'm Blessed To Be A Blessing!!!!!!!!!!

Offline keyz2life

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 04:32:33 PM »
hey... thanks apex for replying!

Currently I just installed Studio One.  It has a whole list of different sounds.  A lot of them I'll never need, but the piano's aren't bad.  I really want to be able to layer Piano and strings.  I had no idea you could layer VSTs until u mentioned it.  How is this done? 

I have Protools LE but it seems too complicated to deal with (i haven't messed w/ it in months).

also... how do you have your mks set up?  I watch a lot of Jamal Hartwell's videos and he always talks about the MKS.  I would really like to set that up for church services.

Offline apex

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 12:02:19 PM »
I don't have studio one and I've never used it.  youtube may be a good place to get help with that.  maybe you could try the free kontakt player.  that could very well house your sample libraries (if they are in kontakt format)

Offline keyz2life

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 10:47:05 PM »
hey apex...

where did you get your MKS-20 sound sample from? I just purchased Logic (Mainstage 2).  The bishop of my church really wants that sound.

thanks man...

Offline apex

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 10:24:59 PM »
get it from Jamal Hartwell (gospel musicians).  Gospel keys. Tell him Julius referred you.  There's some others out there, but he's one of us so you should support him!!! 

just goggle ps-20 or roland mks 20 sample set.  roland mks 20 kontakt.  I can't remember what his is called... I think it's MKSentation.

just grab Jamals.   you'll be very happy.

Offline keyz2life

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 09:27:11 AM »
thanks man! yea I like Jamal.  I've purchased a few of his products in the past. 

later...

Offline keyz2life

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 11:27:30 AM »
yo Apex... one last thing!

So I installed Logic Studio and all is well, but I don't see the Kontakt plugin from the list.  I installed a demo version of it a few days ago so I can use it as a stand-alone, but I've been seeing videos on youtube, who have Kontakt listed as a Native Instrument Plugin in Logic.  How is this possible? Did it come with Logic Pro? or did my installation fail?

How are you set up and did you pay for the full version of Kontakt.  If you did, how did you load it into Logic...

I looked at Jamal's video called "My favorite Logic Plugins" and his list looks completely different from mine.

thanks man

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 11:53:46 AM »
If Logic is anything like other DAWs, in your Preferences/Options/Settings (or whatever its called) you should be able to set the directory or directories where the software looks for VST plugins. I know on Windows, many of the programs have their default where they check to look, and when you install things like Kontakt, they have their default place where they want to put their VSTs. What I do is make a directory SPECIFICALLY for VSTs and put them ALL there and make my software look at that directory and it'll have all my plugins in the list when i go to use them.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline keyz2life

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 12:01:55 PM »
hey thanks floaded... i'm gonna check as soon as I get home!

Offline DeeMee

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 09:24:31 PM »
yo Apex... one last thing!

So I installed Logic Studio and all is well, but I don't see the Kontakt plugin from the list.  I installed a demo version of it a few days ago so I can use it as a stand-alone, but I've been seeing videos on youtube, who have Kontakt listed as a Native Instrument Plugin in Logic.  How is this possible? Did it come with Logic Pro? or did my installation fail?

How are you set up and did you pay for the full version of Kontakt.  If you did, how did you load it into Logic...

I looked at Jamal's video called "My favorite Logic Plugins" and his list looks completely different from mine.

thanks man

You have to make sure you installed the AU (Audio Unit) in order for Logic to see it. Logic does not use VST's but AU's. If you you go to the Preferences and then to Audio Unit Manager in Logic, it shows you all the plug-ins you have installed that Logic can use. VST's are primarily used by DAW's like Cubase, Studio One and Ableton Live. Pro Tools utilizes the RTAS format for its plug-ins. Some people dont know there is an actual difference.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 09:38:45 PM »
You have to make sure you installed the AU (Audio Unit) in order for Logic to see it. Logic does not use VST's but AU's. If you you go to the Preferences and then to Audio Unit Manager in Logic, it shows you all the plug-ins you have installed that Logic can use. VST's are primarily used by DAW's like Cubase, Studio One and Ableton Live. Pro Tools utilizes the RTAS format for its plug-ins. Some people dont know there is an actual difference.

Dont most plug-in packages include each format and let you choose where you install them?
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline DeeMee

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 07:23:38 PM »
Dont most plug-in packages include each format and let you choose where you install them?

Some do and there are some that dont. I've been waiting for a AU version of WusikStation for a minute. There are some that give you all options but it would be wise to know which option your DAW uses. Especially for some of the plugs that allow to download or purchase them separately.

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 07:01:14 AM »
Has anyone ever noticed this with plug ins/Pro Tools? A friend of mine sent me a CD he's producing with PT 8.Totally blown away with the quality-sounds like I'm right @ B3(real),like I'm inside the piano,the vocalist(I can feel her breath @my ear)is HOT,the bass is clear,the drums are RIGHT ON!!!!.

But when i sat down to jam,all but one track is OFF-tuning wise.It's like a 3 rd off,some of the notes(I'm playing) are on,most not!!!It's not like playing in C +C#,but like how guitarist can use alternate tuning.This used to be more of an issue with tape based recording-tape speed etc..

I sat playing in 1/2 steps,moving the mod wheel,pitch bend-etc.. to no avail.Ideas?
Pages: [1]   Go Up