LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GIVE LYRICS OR DONT GIVE LYRICS?  (Read 2466 times)

lj_young

GIVE LYRICS OR DONT GIVE LYRICS?
« on: August 16, 2011, 06:47:49 PM »
Some choir members are complaining about not getting lyrics or EVERY song EVERY rehearsal?
What methods should I use?

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: GIVE LYRICS OR DONT GIVE LYRICS?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 07:25:11 PM »
Give them the lyrics to each song at one rehearsal (usually the first rehearsal where you introduce the song). It's their responsibility to maintain and bring those lyrics to every rehearsal after that.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 09:22:24 PM »
I give out lyric sheets the first time our choir rehearses a song, and have a pile available for those who forget their folders. Since we have graduated from the floor to mics on the platform I have told them "No papers when you sing on Sunday - Memorize the words!"
The lyrics are also projected on the screen, but that is to the right/behind many of them, so they have to learn the words.

When we sing without tracks I have tried to set a good example by playing without charts/music. Some have taped a copy of the lyrics to the keyboard I play when leading in front of them...

Offline keptbyJesus

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 07:12:55 AM »
We pass out lyrics sometimes. When we do, it's for mostly for songs that are very "wordy", and they are collected after rehearsal.   When you pass out lyrics/words often, then some people come dependant on them which is not good.  Also, if some people want words tell them to bring a pad and pen and write them theirselves.
If it had not been for the Lord on my side, where would I be!!!

Offline ProMaestro

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My oldest nephew and myself!

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 10:16:11 AM »
To give or not to give...HAHA
I give them lyrics if it is "wordy" as someone mentioned. They will complain until you do! I've been firm and staunch on not giving them anymore because most of them have the capability to go home and look them up.  Sometimes its easier for them to learn when you teach it by rote or some call and response method.  Others have to see it in front of them to get it. (I'm a school teacher, too.) However, like most, We don't do lyric sheets on Sunday morning.  If they don't know it, they kindly remove themselves to the back without question on Sunday morning or "ministerial opportunity."  I then follow up by saying, you can't expect the congregation to feel and worhip with you, if the song is not in your heart as well. To be in your heart, it's got to be learned in the mind.  Heart, mind and soul all work together even in the trivality of lyrics...  Just my opinion.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 12:12:08 PM »
I then follow up by saying, you can't expect the congregation to feel and worhip with you, if the song is not in your heart as well. To be in your heart, it's got to be learned in the mind.  Heart, mind and soul all work together even in the trivality of lyrics...

Wow! Can I use that w/our choir?
;)

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 04:02:55 PM »
I'm glad I got to see some of the old school directors.  :) They could teach you a song on the spot and could feed you the words. You didn't need the words after they got through. I did this with the brotherhood choir sometimes.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

MrSparrow06

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 07:21:34 AM »
There are terms and conditions you have to consider when using lyric sheets.
1. Establish who will make the copies, pass them out and collect the copies. That should NOT be you. (Choir President or Choir Secretary)
2. Establish the rule that no one can just read the lyrics during the worship service and enforce it.
3. Keep a library of lyrics for your new members.
4. Please know that once you get on the lyric sheet train it's hard to go back...

By the way, if the songs are so long/difficult that your choir needs lyrics then it's probably too hard for your choir and possibly too complicated for your congregation #ijs

MrSparrow

Offline malthumb

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 02:58:54 PM »
Some choir members are complaining about not getting lyrics or EVERY song EVERY rehearsal?
What methods should I use?

The way I have handled this in the past,  and may re-institute, is I make a binder for every choir member, with the songs in the binder.  Whenever I decide to add a new song, I give out the lyrics at rehearsal.  Those who have their binders with them can put the lyrics in their binder.  Those who don't are asked to bring their binders to the next service or rehearsal so that they can receive the lyrics.  I DO NOT accept "I don't have the lyrics" as an excuse for anything, once I've given them out.

FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline cbjr

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 11:12:51 AM »
Use lyrics. Everyone never remembers songs easily. Some people have the gift for singing and the majority dont. If you look at the Gospel concerts live on Dvd , the majority of those singers have their lyrics either on a teleprompter on stage or a music stand. The cameras filming the concert rarely shows it. Check kirk franklin concerts out, he always uses them. if church choirs have their lyrics in front of them they sing better because they can read the lyrics. trust me. Whenever you practice a new song, always use your lyrics.

Offline JoanHall

• LGM Member
    • My gospel choir web pages

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 06:50:10 AM »
In my home church choir, the Choir Secretary made choir books with lyrics to the songs.  The books don't belong to individual choir members; they stay at the church and get passed around during rehearsal.  I've been pretty good at enforcing the rule of not looking at the lyrics during performances.
Pages: [1]   Go Up