LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: switching from keys to organ. any advice???  (Read 3775 times)

Offline acts2-38

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bad!! Just like I was

switching from keys to organ. any advice???
« on: August 19, 2011, 01:05:26 AM »
What are some of the main differences between the two? The only thing I Know right off is organ chord structure must be phatter. Also, some/most organists chord with left hand and do runs with right? What kind of excercises should I do to work on hand foot coordination? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Give a man chords to a song, you help him for a day. Teach him theory and you help forever!!!

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

Re: switching from keys to organ. any advice???
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 08:06:21 AM »
buy anything and everything Sam's Muzik and Sebastian Wheat have on the site! Seb has couple great B3 starter DVD's as well as the many posts from Diversi 379.

Hit the search for some of the organ videos and U-tube has some great B3 tips.

Offline CJKeyboardPlaya

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:16:05 AM »
Ya... Im makin that switch too. My only problem is the left chordin and drawbar setting. If i can get those two main points. I shood sound pretty decent. I get by, from what i know so far from watchin others. But im still not called an organist.

Offline theLearner

• LGM Member
  • Play, don't play around

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 12:16:38 PM »
I been using the search bar and i found that ORGAN ESSENTIALS/ PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS PART 2
should be good for left hand (according to dvd description)
http://showmethat.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=27&=SID

For myself, I'm trying to decide between the Hymns dvd, the organ essentials part 2, and jamals organ vid

I'm a beginner, but I know hymns and basic chording and I play every key. (and i have a ton of jermaines stuff for keyboard including gospel keys 102, 202, and 300)

Which dvd will I get the most out of? I don't plan on buying multiple dvds for now

Offline theLearner

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 12:17:38 PM »
by the hymns dvd, i mean the organ one from wheat works

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 01:51:10 PM »
I have both of these dvds and they are very different. Sebastian's is good, he does quite a few hymns and breaks down a whole lot of theory and shout moves etc. It is like 10 houds long.

Jamal's dvd teaches less songs, but he shows a lot of "phat" moves, some that will be easy to apply to actual songs and others that you can use during talk music or transitional music.

If you are a total beginner and dont know much theory and hymns, then go for wheatworks, if you canalready play piano and want to do some cool stuff on the organ then get jamals

Offline theLearner

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 09:34:53 AM »
I have both of these dvds and they are very different. Sebastian's is good, he does quite a few hymns and breaks down a whole lot of theory and shout moves etc. It is like 10 houds long.

Jamal's dvd teaches less songs, but he shows a lot of "phat" moves, some that will be easy to apply to actual songs and others that you can use during talk music or transitional music.

If you are a total beginner and dont know much theory and hymns, then go for wheatworks, if you canalready play piano and want to do some cool stuff on the organ then get jamals

I seen parts of jamals stuff on youtube. I saw some stuff I'm ready to learn there.However,  I want to learn how to chord the left hand. I've heard that you can do the 3 (so if your playing C major, left hand plays E) as well as some other things like tritones and stuff.
 would i be able to pick out left hand strategies in Jamals vid?

Offline theLearner

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 09:40:15 AM »
nvm doc,
I just read the dvd description. Thanks for the response

The funny thing is, my church Doesn't have a Hammond. We have an Allen Digital computer organ.
I'm hoping to use the midi to us a B3 vst (I'm crossing my fingers because i haven't tried it yet)

Offline raphael062002

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 08:42:34 PM »
I just recently purchased the Organ Essentials Part 1- Back to Basics by digital download. However Im not sure the contents of the zip files are in order. Would anyone be able to provide something like a list of the contents for THE dvd?

Part 1
MajorMinorChords
TriTones
HarmonicMelodicPentatonicScales
Introduction
KeyCenters

Part 2
OranBackToBasics_4thChords
5_1_4_Progressions
7_3_6_Progressions
ChordSubstitutions
LayeredChords
PedalTechnique
1_6_2_5_1_Progressions

Part 3
ImASoldier
SuperImposedChords
TalkMusic
WhenIThinkOfTheGoodness
ChordSubstitutions
HolyHolyHoly_BlessedAssurance

Part 4
ChordPatterns
CircleOf4thsAnd5ths
KeyChanges
LetGodArise
LordPrepareMe
PassingChords

Part 5
Credits
OhHowILoveJesus
Outro
PreacherChords
ShoutMusic
Solos

hnsmusic

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 07:01:38 PM »
Your probably already playing rootless chords with the Tritones you already know. When you become foot trained, playing the root of those tritones gives a real smooth quality. It took me a number of years to train my foot. Organist is a good skill to put on your resume.
Pages: [1]   Go Up