LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Every Black Person Needs to Read This Book...  (Read 14135 times)

Offline under13

• LGM Member

Every Black Person Needs to Read This Book...
« on: August 23, 2011, 07:34:41 PM »
...as well teachers and educators of black children. The Kindle edition is only $.99, but the info is priceless. I just found it amazing how almost all of what he says about us today is relevant to our political, work and social situations. He even has some valid points about ministers in the church. 

The title is "The Mis-education of the Negro"

http://www.amazon.com/Mis-Education-Negro-Carter-Godwin-Woodson/dp/1612930204/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

If anybody wants to have an informal discussion or even a formal one, I'm down.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

Re: Every Black Person Needs to Read This Book...
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 07:48:23 PM »
$0.99??? I'm buying it now.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

blyempowered

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 07:59:54 PM »
SHONDO!

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 08:26:48 PM »
I knew what book you were talking about before I opened the thread.  :D

I'll check it out soon, especially for 0.99. My reading queue is kind of long thanks to School.

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 08:30:41 AM »
Ugh. I'm so mad. I bought it last night, and planned to start reading it omw to work this morning. I opened up my Kindle app and the book wasn't there. I guess it didn't automatically sync (as it usually does). So I'll have to wait until I get home to sync it.

Stupid Kindle. >:(
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 10:27:20 AM »
Ugh. I'm so mad. I bought it last night, and planned to start reading it omw to work this morning. I opened up my Kindle app and the book wasn't there. I guess it didn't automatically sync (as it usually does). So I'll have to wait until I get home to sync it.

Stupid Kindle. >:(

Do you have multiple kindle apps? (like one on your phone, one on your Ipad, etc.) If so, you have to select which device you want to send it to when you purchase, otherwise it'll just send it anywhere (or not at all).

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 11:03:13 AM »
Here is some background on the author...

http://aalbc.com/authors/carterg.htm

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 11:12:14 AM »
Do you have multiple kindle apps? (like one on your phone, one on your Ipad, etc.) If so, you have to select which device you want to send it to when you purchase, otherwise it'll just send it anywhere (or not at all).

Nope. Only the one on my iPad.

This is the first time it didn't send the book automatically. Idk what's up with that.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 09:12:20 PM »
Here is some background on the author...

http://aalbc.com/authors/carterg.htm

Thanks for the link.

This was one of the parts that stood out the most to me.

"When you control a man's thinking you do not have to worry about his actions. You do not have to tell him not to stand here or go yonder.  He will find his 'proper place' and will stay in it. You do not need to send him to the back door. He will go without being told. In fact, if there is no back door, he will cut one for his special benefit. His education makes it necessary."

Not to get into this argument again, but I think that they are still controlling us though movies and TV.

blyempowered

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 09:16:33 PM »
Thanks for the link.

This was one of the parts that stood out the most to me.

"When you control a man's thinking you do not have to worry about his actions. You do not have to tell him not to stand here or go yonder.  He will find his 'proper place' and will stay in it. You do not need to send him to the back door. He will go without being told. In fact, if there is no back door, he will cut one for his special benefit. His education makes it necessary."

Not to get into this argument again, but I think that they are still controlling us though movies and TV.

Man, that quote DEFINITELY stood out to me as well (even though I haven't read the book but heard about it for years, more recently since going to college). Honestly I agree that to some degree our culture is still being controlled in many ways. Man, you make me wanna throw the other books I'm reading to the side and pick this book up....SMH!

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 07:39:10 AM »
I started the book this morning omw to work. I'm waiting on another train, so I thought I'd take a second to post this thought before I forget it:

I just came across the quote U13 referenced earlier, and it spoke to me far beyond the subject of education. It also speaks to blacks' (and others'?) behavior in the church.

Sorry for bringing church into it, but hey, that's me. :D It is what it is. So much of what we do in church, even much of what we BELIEVE about what we do, stems from the control of our thinking.

blyempowered

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 07:41:18 AM »
I started the book this morning omw to work. I'm waiting on another train, so I thought I'd take a second to post this thought before I forget it:

I just came across the quote U13 referenced earlier, and it spoke to me far beyond the subject of education. It also speaks to blacks' (and others'?) behavior in the church.

Sorry for bringing church into it, but hey, that's me. :D It is what it is. So much of what we do in church, even much of what we BELIEVE about what we do, stems from the control of our thinking.

Amen! Over the years the church has fostered an anti-intellectualism attitude that makes it wrong to think for self, to critically challenge practices & traditions along with supporting groupthink.

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 08:00:48 AM »
was supposed to, but never got around to it. Let me see amazons prices

Offline lordluvr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 09:14:08 PM »
...as well teachers and educators of black children. The Kindle edition is only $.99, but the info is priceless. I just found it amazing how almost all of what he says about us today is relevant to our political, work and social situations. He even has some valid points about ministers in the church. 

The title is "The Mis-education of the Negro"

http://www.amazon.com/Mis-Education-Negro-Carter-Godwin-Woodson/dp/1612930204/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

If anybody wants to have an informal discussion or even a formal one, I'm down.

Hey! My kids's HS is named after the author!

Downloading it now.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 05:52:13 PM »
Let's start discussing chapter one and two.

The Seat of the Trouble

Questions:

Do you feel that today's public school system portrays Europeans as superior, and blacks as inferior? Do you think that this is the cause of much of the problems in the black community, and the reason why many black males are not interested in school?

Do you believe that schools, even HBCUs train blacks to work in a white workplace and neglect to teach them how to deal with and serve their own people, especially in areas of small business, medicine and Law?

Do you think that  educated and professional blacks today have feelings of contempt toward lower class blacks?

Please answer or pose your own questions and share what you got out of this chapter.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 06:11:03 PM »
Let's start discussing chapter one and two.

The Seat of the Trouble

Questions:

Do you feel that today's public school system portrays Europeans as superior, and blacks as inferior? Do you think that this is the cause of much of the problems in the black community, and the reason why many black males are not interested in school?

Do you believe that schools, even HBCUs train blacks to work in a white workplace and neglect to teach them how to deal with and serve their own people, especially in areas of small business, medicine and Law?

Do you think that  educated and professional blacks today have feelings of contempt toward lower class blacks?

Please answer or pose your own questions and share what you got out of this chapter.

One more question about these points, if you don't mind:

Do you think that conditions have improved (or not) since the book was written?

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 08:31:36 PM »
I'm having a hard time reading this book (some writing styles just don't work well with my brain), but since you raised some really good questions, I'm gonna give it another shot.

The subject matter held my interest. It was just his writing style that caused me to lose interest. :-[

I'm flying tomorrow so I'm gonna try to get into it at the airport.

blyempowered

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2011, 10:10:46 PM »
@U13 you about to start some stuff.....LOL!!!

I do want to say what I said in another thread: I do wonder (as you said) if the media is a part of controlling our thinking. I thought about this as I was randomly watching BET yesterday.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 02:25:39 AM »

I think that things have improved for many of us when it comes to "equality" in certain parts of life. But I don't think we've grown that much as a whole. I might be wrong though. :-\ 

From what you've seen personall, have things changed in the past few decades?

@U13 you about to start some stuff.....LOL!!!

I do want to say what I said in another thread: I do wonder (as you said) if the media is a part of controlling our thinking. I thought about this as I was randomly watching BET yesterday.

lol. You know I love talking about the stuff people don't like to talk about. :D

Yeah, I think the media is controlling most people's thinking, not just black people and not just when it comes to issues of race. Look at all of this fear mongering that's going on. That's why I cant blame people for not watching TV.

blyempowered

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 07:46:45 AM »

Personally I think things have changed and improved to a certain extent, yet there is still this expectation that blacks/minorities are suppose to be on the bottom. I think we have more awareness that diversity is necessary yet that awareness has not spilled over into application. Also as a black community, we still have some "mindset" issues that need to be dealt with. Overall conditions are a little better but there is still work to be done.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up