LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MTD KZ5 - What Pup's to get?????  (Read 1801 times)

Slappersgotoheaven

MTD KZ5 - What Pup's to get?????
« on: February 20, 2013, 09:22:28 AM »
So, I just purchased this one and love...love....love....the feel of it, but the pup's are really the weak point of this bass. Compared to my Lakland 55-01 with Bart's (Mk-1) the Lakland has a ton more output and more spank. I was thinking about Nordstrand Big Splits or Big Singles, but I also like Bartolini's. What are your goto pup's??????

Offline MykeMyke

• LGM Member
    • Twitter

Re: MTD KZ5 - What Pup's to get?????
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 09:29:20 AM »
I've heard you can send them to Michael Tobias and he'll put bart pups and electronics in it.

I've put barts in mine and an aguilar opb-3 in it .

Slappersgotoheaven

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 09:36:16 AM »
I've heard you can send them to Michael Tobias and he'll put bart pups and electronics in it.

I've put barts in mine and an aguilar opb-3 in it .

What barts did you put in? I was looking at the MK5's. How much difference did the aguilar make compared to the stock pre?

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 02:14:25 PM »
Either US Barts or Nordies. I put Nordie Big Splits in my Lakland. I wanted US Barts but they were back-ordered for the longest so I gave in to Nordies. They sound good but I miss that Bart sound and eventually I will replace them with the Barts.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 07:37:26 PM »
I put Nordstrand Big Singles and a Nordstrand pre. A big step up from the stock electronics. Not as hot as the Aguilar pre but warm with some tonal flexibility.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline musicmandan

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 03:07:01 AM »
It might not be the pups. Change the pre and pups one at a time and see if you get the sound you want. I have the same bass. Started with an aguilar3 and it sounded great. After some problems with that I switched to a bart. Still sounds great. The pups are original.

Slappersgotoheaven

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 07:52:12 AM »
Thanks for the resposnes everyone! Here is an update that I wanted to share. Last night I sent an email to MTD through their MTD USA website. I got a response within 30 minutes of sending the email. What makes this cool is that the email actually came from Michael Tobias. I will say that this is First Class Customer Service! He suggested that I get in contact with a company in Florida that has special order Bartolini pup's and pre's that are made specifically for MTD Z's. I am going to call them this morning to see what they say.

Offline Musicman_00

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "Don't think! Feel!"-Bruce Lee

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 08:03:16 AM »
I have been looking into SGD Pickups. SGD-lutherie.com sound clips sound very clean. He sells pre's but don't know a lot about them. BassMods pre's ( I have on in my Ibanez) sound awesome. Clean. Very clean. has a gain control and comes in a lot of different configurations, comes pre soldered so all you have to do is solder the pickups to the pre. (if you know how to solder)
"Music is a language. The bigger your vocabulary, the more options you have to choose from."

Slappersgotoheaven

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 06:08:38 PM »
Just a quick update on this one: I really just wasn't happy enough with the bass to really justify putting $300 or more into changing out the pup's and pre. So, I sold it. I think that was the shortest time frame for me keeping a bass. The same day I just went ahead and ordered me another Lakland 55-01. I really like my Laklands.......
Pages: [1]   Go Up