LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3rd John  (Read 9287 times)

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

3rd John
« on: November 12, 2011, 08:26:32 PM »
3 John 1

1The elder unto the wellbeloved Gaius, whom I love in the truth.

The 3rd John is the shortest (least number of words) book of the bible.

The first verse opens up, with John (the author does not include his name in this book) writing to Gaius.

"Love In The Truth" sounds odd so The Message translation puts it like this "How truly I love you!"

A lot easier for me to understand.

The goal of The Message is to engage people in the reading process and help them understand what they read. This is not a study Bible, but rather ""a reading Bible."

Gotta work on the introvert in me to be able to express love like John.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

Re: 3rd John
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 08:32:55 PM »
2nd verse
Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

Interesting to note how John separates the ways we can prosper.

We can prosper in the tasks we are doing.

We can prosper in our health.

And our very own souls can prosper.

Carnal minded folks always leave out the prosperity of the soul. The matthew henry commentary put it this way

There is such a thing as soul-prosperity—the greatest blessing on this side heaven. This supposes regeneration, and an inward fund of spiritual life; this stock is increasing, and, while spiritual treasures are advancing, the soul is in a fair way to the kingdom of glory.

blyempowered

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 08:38:35 PM »
2nd verse

Interesting to note how John separates the ways we can prosper.

We can prosper in the tasks we are doing.

We can prosper in our health.

And our very own souls can prosper.

Carnal minded folks always leave out the prosperity of the soul. The matthew henry commentary put it this way

Absolutely!!

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 08:42:11 PM »
3rd verse
For I rejoiced greatly, when the brethren came and testified of the truth that is in thee, even as thou walkest in the truth.

I remember a time when my mother was gushing about my test scores. She just couldn't contain herself when someone else came back and gave a great report on what I was doing.

The same thing is happening here. Some fellow christians came and essentially Said Gaius Has the truth in his life.

Who is the truth you ask?

John 14:6
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 08:43:01 PM »
Absolutely!!

LOL, your post startled me, I didn't think anyone else would be in here at this time of the day LOL!!!

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 08:47:16 PM »
4th Verse
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.

Ever hear something from your parents and they say you will understand when you get older?

This is one of those verse for me. But when you teach someone something especially something like who Jesus is its hard putting it into words the joy you feel when that person continues in their teaching even in the face of adversity.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 09:11:46 PM »
5th Verse

Beloved, thou doest faithfully whatsoever thou doest to the brethren, and to strangers

When I first read this verse. Two thoughts came to mind and more than likely I will separate them into two separate posts.

A. Home Alone
In the previous verses we learned that Gaius was the spiritual child of John. Meaning John played a pivotal role in teaching Gaius what it means to be a christian. If you ever want to know if someone knows what to do let them do it by themselves.

If you ever want to know if your puppy knows where to use the restroom leave him by himself.

If you ever want to know if your son knows how to cross a street leave him by himself

See here John taught Gaius what to do for fellow christians. And see here Gaius not only did for the christians whom he fellowshipped with but he also did it for christians who were strangers to him!

Matthew henry's commentary put it this way:
He seems to have been of a catholic spirit; he could overlook the petty differences among serious Christians, and be communicative to all who bore the image and did the work of Christ.

See John taught Gaius what to do and then he left him by himself. And guess what Gaius did the right thing.

Reminds me of the paralbe of the ten talents.

Each person was taught what the master expected. And he left them by themselves. 2 did right 1 did wrong.

Which one is you?

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 09:19:51 PM »
forgot to check my spelling on that last post sorry about that.  :'(

The second thought that occured while reading that 5th verse came about because the way the King James Version read. And I'm going to have to ask the LGM Scholars about this one cause i'm not certain.

5th verse
Beloved, thou doest faithfully whatsoever thou doest to the brethren, and to strangers;

I placed the strangers portion in bold. See when I first read this I thought it meant that Gaius was helping strangers and not just fellow brethren that he personally didn't know.

Alas I'm not certain so I went to a different translation. I chose the amplified since:

It attempts to take both word meaning and context into account in order to accurately translate the original text from one language into another. The Amplified Bible does this through the use of explanatory alternate readings and amplifications to assist the reader in understanding what Scripture really says. Multiple English word equivalents to each key Hebrew and Greek word clarify and amplify meanings that may otherwise have been concealed by the traditional translation method.

Beloved, it is a fine and faithful work that you are doing when you give any service to the [Christian] brethren, and [especially when they are] strangers.

I guess that means case closed :( I was getting ready to connect this verse with Matthew 25:35

Matthew 25:35
King James Version (KJV)
 35For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

but that is not what this verse was about 

2 Timothy 2:15
King James Version (KJV)
 15Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

moving on to the next verse

blyempowered

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 09:39:35 PM »
LOL, your post startled me, I didn't think anyone else would be in here at this time of the day LOL!!!

Haha!

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 09:48:53 PM »
6th verse
Which have borne witness of thy charity before the church: whom if thou bring forward on their journey after a godly sort, thou shalt do well:

I must admit the king james version is hard to read because of its Elizabethean english. (not even sure if that Elizabeth word is a word LOL)

So off to the message version:

They've made a full report back to the church here, a message about your love. It's good work you're doing, helping these travelers on their way, hospitality worthy of God himself!

See back in the day (the first century Christians) Few people even knew Jesus Christ came. As such many missionaries traveled. And when they came to a city they would inquire if there were any Christians there so they can stay with them

Gaius showed hospitality greater than even Southern hospitality to these missionaries!

Again we have to remember Gaius was John's Spiritual son. He taught him many things, and I'm assuming he also taught him this that Paul taught the corinthians (i need to verify with someone about which may have come first)

1Cr 16:6       And it may be that I will abide, yea, and winter with you, that ye may bring me on my journey whithersoever I go.

See this is what paul did, when winter hit he would stay with someone until spring came so he could continue traveling. And John is so happy that he left his spiritual son alone and he did the right thing.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 09:55:03 PM »
Verse 7
Because that for his name's sake they went forth, taking nothing of the Gentiles.

To understand this verse you have to be able to answer the following questions
Questions to ask yourself about this verse

Who's name sake?
What are are Gentiles?
Who went forth?
Where did they go?
Why are they going?

Of course i'm going to give you the answer but try to answer them for your self.

The missionaries went out to the uttermost parts of the earth (acts 1:8) to teach people who were not jews about Jesus Christ.

Jesus's Name Sake
people who are not jews
missionaries (early disciples, christians)  went forth
They went everywhere
To spread the gospel

The key part of this verse is that these missionaries took nothing of the Gentiles and they were Staying with Gaius. So if the missionaries took nothing from the gentiles, and they themselves had nothing since they were traveling where did they get food, clothing and shelter?

Gaius!!!

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 09:57:42 PM »
Verse 8
We therefore ought to receive such, that we might be fellowhelpers to the truth.

Verse 8 continues Verse 7 and repeating what Gaius was doing and what we as christians can do to help spread the gospel.

The message version goes a bit further:

So they deserve any support we can give them. In providing meals and a bed, we become their companions in spreading the Truth.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 10:03:43 PM »
Verse 9
I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not.

by evidence of the preponderance of posts related to hypocrites and shady doctrine in some churches. I feel it is safe to say we can all understand what John is talking about here and he goes into further detail in the next few verses.

Diotrephes was not doing what he should have like Gaius. Remember the parable of the ten talents?

Gaius would be like the servant who earned the most. Where as Diotrephes would be like the one who dug a hole and hid it so he could just return what was given to him.

One is helping to increase the harvest, where as the other is not helping the missionaries. Or Even John an ELDER!!!

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 10:25:42 PM »
Verse 10
Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church.

In other words John is saying if he visits Diotrephes he will say

you sir need to SADDOWN!

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 10:27:28 PM »
 next verse

verse 11

Beloved, follow not that which is evil, but that which is good. He that doeth good is of God: but he that doeth evil hath not seen God.

John tells Gaius ... really John admonishes Gaius to do what is right and not to get caught up in being in charge like Diotrephes has gotten caught up. Because he that is doing the

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 10:36:43 PM »
verse 12

Demetrius hath good report of all men, and of the truth itself: yea, and we also bear record; and ye know that our record is true.

John no provides a contrast here of someone who has a good report similar to Gaius. I'm assuming that one day Gaius may have met Demetrius and this provided an introduction for Demetrius. Who knows maybe Demetrius carried the letter. The world may never know.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 10:37:17 PM »
verse 12

John no provides a contrast here of someone who has a good report similar to Gaius. I'm assuming that one day Gaius may have met Demetrius and this provided an introduction for Demetrius. Who knows maybe Demetrius carried the letter. The world may never know.

i'm starting to get sleepy sorry about that typo

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 10:38:33 PM »
verse 13

I had many things to write, but I will not with ink and pen write unto thee:

A similar problem people here run into, it is easier to not write some things but actually talk in person

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 10:46:26 PM »
last verse

But I trust I shall shortly see thee, and we shall speak face to face. Peace be to thee. Our friends salute thee. Greet the friends by name.

The closing of the letter, and i'm assuming some customs that were common during that time. One thing John mentions is "Greet the friends by name"

Ever notice how a person reacts when you remember their name or you use their name? Test it sometime make a personal effort next time you have a waiter to learn their name and use their name during conversation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up