LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Gold Nuggets  (Read 22966 times)

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

Gold Nuggets
« on: November 29, 2011, 08:54:01 AM »
In this thread we'll post some nuggets of wisdom, mini-exhortations, revelations, etc. we've gathered from whatever we're reading.

I'll start...
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

Re: Gold Nuggets
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 09:09:10 AM »
The story of the criminal who was crucified with Jesus is the ultimate story of Grace.

In those times many criminals were taken to be Roman Warship rowers.  Only the worst of the worst, those deemed to violent and/or unpredictable, were crucified.  Clearly this man had done something terrible (and he admitted that he deserved his punishment).

We all know the story well.  In his final hours he confessed Christ and received salvation.

Stephen lived a Godly life and was stoned to death as a martyr.  Paul turned his life around and did more to advance the first century church than anybody and also died a martyr.  This criminal lived a life of sin and was crucified for his horrible crimes.  Yet they all get the same eternal reward.

Doesn't seem fair does it?

This man made it in by the skin of his teeth.  What did he have to offer?  He couldn't atone for his sins.  There were no promises to be made (and subsequently kept or broken).  There was no gift he could give.  What does rededication mean when you only have hours to live?  It's like a child breaking a rule and then pleading for forgiveness when his father takes off his belt, or a criminal in a courtroom asking for mercy when he has already been convicted of the murder he committed.

He had no leverage, no good deeds to offer as evidence of his worthiness, and no argument for why he should get into heaven.

What he received was Grace.

See, grace is never about us.  It isn't about making promises to do better.  It's about God's goodness and his lovingkindness.  His mercy.

So to answer my earlier question, NO.  It isn't fair.  Thank God Grace isn't fair! 

If I look back at all the stupid sins I've committed, the promises to God I made and then broke, the times I did wrong when I KNEW what right was, why would I want 'fair'?  Fair is me getting what I deserve.  I don't want fair. 

I want Grace!

Gleaned from: The Grace of God by Andy Stanley
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

Offline LaylaMonroe

• LGM Member
  • POW!
    • Order in the Church!

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 10:51:12 AM »
I love this thread. Looking forward to some of U13's nuggets too. He's read some good stuff about money and Black folks, etc.

Makes me want to pick up some books I've already read and post my highlights.

One that comes to mind right off the bat was the very first thing I got from Pagan Christianity about proof-texting. I'll find the post and post it here.

Okay, now off to read the nugget up there ^^^^.
When you're in love you don't want to fall asleep bc reality is finally better than your dreams.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 12:23:09 PM »
I love this thread. Looking forward to some of U13's nuggets too. He's read some good stuff about money and Black folks, etc.

I just started this book called "Powernomics". Some really Deep stuff...

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 11:55:35 PM »
Was reading some stuff from the department of Homeland Security

From wikipedia
Security through obscurity is a pejorative referring to a principle in security engineering, which attempts to use secrecy of design or implementation to provide security. A system relying on security through obscurity may have theoretical or actual security vulnerabilities, but its owners or designers believe that if the flaws are not known, then attackers will be unlikely to find them.

The DHS basically was saying that the preceding idea is false...

However I just realized something isn't a password the same? .. . oh well who care build a door and there is a way in is how I see it

blyempowered

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 07:44:55 AM »
I just started this book called "Powernomics". Some really Deep stuff...

Oooo I want that book!

One big nugget from what I"m reading right now (particularly Purpose Driven Life) is the issue of surrender. I need to surrender to God in light of some things He has been speaking to me. This morning's reading hit me right in the head. When we surrender to God, we have to understand that it may cost but it is worth it because at the end of the day making God smile is what matters the most. I'll post some quotes a little later.

Offline SirTJ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 02:46:47 PM »
Why is getting your heart's deepest desire so often a disaster? In the book of Romans, Saint Paul wrote that one of the worst things God can do to someone is to "give them over to the desires of their hearts" (Romans 1:24). Why would the greatest punishment imaginable be to allow someone to achieve their fondest dream? It is because our hearts fashion these desires into idols. In that same chapter, Paul summarized the history of the human race in one sentence: "They worshipped and served created things rather than the creator" (Romans 1:25). Every human being must live for something. Something must capture our imaginations, our heart's most fundamental allegiance and hope. But, the Bible tells us, without the intervention of the Holy Spirit, that object will never be God himself.

---

How did Abraham get himself to walk up into the mountains in obedience to God's call? The masterful Hebrew narrative gives us tantalizing hints. He told his servants that "we will come back to you" (Genesis 22:5). It is unlikely he had any specific idea of what God would do. But he did not go up the mountain saying, "I can do it," filled with willpower and self-talk. Rather, he went up saying, "God will do it…but I don't know how." Do what? God would somehow remove the debt on the firstborn and still keep the promise of grace.

Abraham was not just exercising "blind faith." He was not saying, "This is crazy, this is murder, but I'm going to do it anyway." Instead he was saying, "I know God is both holy and gracious. I don't know how he is going to be both —but I know he will."

We see God's extremely rough treatment of Abraham was actually merciful. Isaac was a wonderful gift to Abraham, but he was not safe to have and hold until Abraham was willing to put God first. As long as Abraham never had to choose between his son and obedience to God, he could not see that his love was becoming idolatrous. In a similar way, we may not realize how idolatrous our career has become to us, until we are faced with a situation in which telling the truth or acting with integrity would mean a serious blow to our professional advancement. If we are not willing to hurt our career in order to do God's will, our job will become a counterfeit god. And all idolatry is destructive.

---

God saw Abraham's sacrifice and said, "Now I know that you love me, because you did not withhold your only son from me" But how much more can we look at his sacrifice on the Cross, and say to God, "Now, we know that you love us. For you did not withhold your son, your only son, whom you love, from us." When the magnitude of what he did dawns on us, it makes it possible finally to rest our hearts in him rather than in anything else.

---

We learn that through all of life there runs a ground note of cosmic disappointment. You are never going to lead a wise life until you understand that. Jacob said, "If I can just get Rachel, everything will be okay." And he goes to bed with the one who he thinks is Rachel, and literally, the Hebrew says, "in the morning, behold, it was Leah" (Genesis 29:25). One commentator noted about this verse, "This is a miniature of our disillusionment, experienced from Eden onwards." What does that mean? With all due respect to this woman (from whom we have much to learn), it means that no matter what we put our hopes in, in the morning, it is always Leah, never Rachel.

"Counterfeit Gods" by Timothy Keller

blyempowered

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 05:04:22 PM »
@TJ Wow! Love it!

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »
"The Bible is not an end in itself, but a means to bring men to an intimate and satisfying knowledge of God"

"Current evangelicalism has laid the altar and divided the sacrifice into parts, but now seems satisfied to count the stones and rearrange the pieces with never a care that there is not a sign of fire..."

"There is today no lack of Bible teachers to set forth correctly the principles of the doctrines of Christ, but too many of these seem satisfied to teach the fundamentals of the faith year after year, strangely unaware that there is in their ministry no manifest Presence, nor anything unusual in their personal lives.  They minister constantly to believers who feel within their breasts a longing which their teaching simply does not satisfy."

-The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 03:11:17 PM »
"Counterfeit Gods" by Timothy Keller

Added to my Amazon Wishlist
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

blyempowered

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 05:17:47 PM »
"The Bible is not an end in itself, but a means to bring men to an intimate and satisfying knowledge of God"

"Current evangelicalism has laid the altar and divided the sacrifice into parts, but now seems satisfied to count the stones and rearrange the pieces with never a care that there is not a sign of fire..."

"There is today no lack of Bible teachers to set forth correctly the principles of the doctrines of Christ, but too many of these seem satisfied to teach the fundamentals of the faith year after year, strangely unaware that there is in their ministry no manifest Presence, nor anything unusual in their personal lives.  They minister constantly to believers who feel within their breasts a longing which their teaching simply does not satisfy."

Got the pdf copy on my iPad. Need to read it!

My Lawd! My "to read" list is growing and growing and growing....SMH! LOL!!

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 07:53:04 AM »
Got the pdf copy on my iPad. Need to read it!

My Lawd! My "to read" list is growing and growing and growing....SMH! LOL!!

Tell me about it!  I probably have enough books in my Amazon Wishlist to keep me busy for the next 2 years.
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

blyempowered

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 08:21:19 AM »
Tell me about it!  I probably have enough books in my Amazon Wishlist to keep me busy for the next 2 years.

LOL! Exactly!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 08:37:53 AM »

O. M. G!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I either have, or am about to get this. book!!!
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

blyempowered

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 08:47:28 AM »

SHONDO!!!

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 08:48:39 AM »

It's a good book.  I'm about halfway through.  I disagree with the writer on some of his doctrinal beliefs, but overall it's a good book.
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

blyempowered

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 12:48:19 PM »
It's a good book.  I'm about halfway through.  I disagree with the writer on some of his doctrinal beliefs, but overall it's a good book.

Like?

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 01:55:39 PM »
Like?

Ummmm, I'd rather not go there.   :D

I prefer not to get into doctrine on LGM.  It was nothing blasphemous...just some things I disagree with.  Still, I'm enjoying the book.  It's really making me think.
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 08:16:09 AM »
"For it is not mere words that nourish the soul, but God Himself, and unless and until the hearers find God in personal experience they are not the better for having heard the truth."

-The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tolzer
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline Arkhams Finest

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Me and my baby

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 08:11:14 AM »
"For it is not mere words that nourish the soul, but God Himself, and unless and until the hearers find God in personal experience they are not the better for having heard the truth."

-The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tolzer

:)
Now Reading:
Visioneering
Creating Community
(Both by Andy Stanley)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up