LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beginner Minister of Music...Need some help.  (Read 2820 times)

misterP

Beginner Minister of Music...Need some help.
« on: March 29, 2012, 02:30:29 PM »
Hello everyone.  I"m new to the forum as well as to the position.  I'll get straight to the point.  Our ministry's worship service is changing...going from sit down and listen to the choir sing, to get involved with worship with the praise team.  The praise team is younger and tends to sing more worship songs and a few praise songs.  They're pretty much self sufficient as far as getting their parts.  However, the choir is older and some are tone deaf.  I am struggling with what to do about the choir.  Should I dissolve it and create a second praise team or try to work with them to get them to a better sound?  My background is sax player....I am learning the keys now...i can play a bit, but I'd still classify myself as a beginner.  I have two musicians, "old skool", traditional background who don't read music or really know any theory..ie chords, chord names, progressions ect....so I just need some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Offline JoanHall

• LGM Member
    • My gospel choir web pages

Re: Beginner Minister of Music...Need some help.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 11:41:48 PM »
How tone deaf are the struggling members of the choir?  Is it that they can't learn harmony parts, or that they can't even carry a tune in unison?

If it's the first one, you might want to stick with certain types of songs that will match their abilities, and then try to work on improving their skills.  But if they can't sing at all, I would suggest that you consult with the pastor about what his/her expectations are and what role they want the choir to play in the new format for the services.

misterP

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 10:26:22 AM »
Thank you for the reply, but it's a little of both.  Some can't carry a tune at all and others can hear their part.  I will take it to the Pastor and see what his desire is for the future.  Thank you again.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 01:10:21 PM »
Good to consult with your Pastor - so that you both agree on the direction in your music ministry.

Choirs are a bit like the Titanic - you have to turn them SLOWLY, and watch out for hidden agendas and church politics 'icebergs'

misterP

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 01:58:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice....Titanic huh...I'll remember that.

I pretty much try to shy away from all the politic stuff as much as possible, but being the MOM, i'm sure I won't be able to avoid it totally.

Offline amstudiosproducer

• LGM Member
  • God Will Do Exceedingly and Abundantly
    • www.twitter.com/lilwondermusic

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 11:41:33 AM »
My advice to you would ask the Members of Praise and Worship to join the Choir, so that would help with the gaining their notes and help them to stay on key. As the MOM, I would suggest that you start with everything being in Unison, then branch into parts gradually. You have to gain the confidence of the Choir, meaning The choir wants to sound good and enjoy the songs they are singing. And because you stated the choir is majority old skool I would suggest Chicago Mass, Mississippi Mass, Dorothy Norwood, Dottie Peoples style songs..
" God Is Able, and He Does Exceedingly and Abundantly Above What We Ask For!!!!

misterP

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 02:06:18 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I will try this.

Offline Sannysan1908

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 07:48:11 PM »
Good to consult with your Pastor - so that you both agree on the direction in your music ministry.

Choirs are a bit like the Titanic - you have to turn them SLOWLY, and watch out for hidden agendas and church politics 'icebergs'

Very True!! Especially if cliques are formed! -- Be prayed up!!!

Offline KeyofB

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 11:57:08 PM »
I was just about to say prayer. But one thing that I find that helps are worshops. Even if you have to teach them. In order for them to learn, you have to be on the top of your game. You need more than choir practices if they're that bad. Say, "Hey, we're going to do a month of worshops." And make them fun and engaging. Then you can teach them not only what to sing but how to sing. As for the musicians, you can do the same thing. Give them a little extra attention outside of service and practice. And a good drummer is key to working with an old choir and musicians.
Pages: [1]   Go Up