LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: *bass room*What types of oils are safe to use on a guitar fretboard?  (Read 1057 times)

SketchMan3

I posted this over in the Guitar section, but this applies to both bass and guitar, so I'll post it here for those who don't swing with the six-string...  ;D

I just found a jar of Winsor & Newton "Artisan Water Mixable Linseed Oil" for oil painting.
I'm not sure if it's just oil, or if it has any other ingredients that might be harmful to my guitar. I do know that it's oil based, and not water based.

Have you guys ever used anything like that?

What do you use?

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

Re: *bass room*What types of oils are safe to use on a guitar fretboard?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 10:06:45 PM »
there are quite a few who have six strings ;) but i know what you meant LOL

anyway i only used murphy's oil soap

someone recommended something else to me once ... i'm going to see if i can find that post

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 11:16:24 PM »
Alembic makes most of their basses with ebony boards and recommends lemon oil, so that's what I use for all my basses (3 ebony, 3 maple).

FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline SavnBass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Saved by GRACE .. Bass by choice

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 07:29:07 AM »
I posted this over in the Guitar section, but this applies to both bass and guitar, so I'll post it here for those who don't swing with the six-string...  ;D

I just found a jar of Winsor & Newton "Artisan Water Mixable Linseed Oil" for oil painting.
I'm not sure if it's just oil, or if it has any other ingredients that might be harmful to my guitar. I do know that it's oil based, and not water based.

Have you guys ever used anything like that?

What do you use?

Yeah the lemon oil is good .. Linseed oil will be too oily .. I also use a mild solution of warm slightly soapy water (like .. a drop or too of dawn in @ a cup of water) and a toothbrush on porous un lacquered fretboards. Use the soapy water to clean it and wipe it off very good immediately .. let it air dry and then apply the lemon oil and wipe off the excess. Make sure it soaks into the wood good (which it should do even better after you clean it and make sure it is completely dry before you apply the oil.. usually about 20 mins or so is all you need.
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.
Pages: [1]   Go Up