LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Midi controller latency question  (Read 7167 times)

smalls85s

Midi controller latency question
« on: January 04, 2012, 07:20:27 AM »
I just bought an MAudio 88 key es controller.  I've tried various midi programs like Kontakt, MIDIKeyz, and even the software that came with it to run through my laptop.
specs: 2.13 GHz processor, 4G ram, over 200G free on hard drive
Why is it that I can press a key on the keyboard, immediately see the note played on the on-screen keyboard, but 10 - 15 secs later hear the sound.
I'm, just getting into midi so I have no past experience to know what is going on or how to fix it.
There are plenty of music geniuses here that someone should know how I can fix this.

Offline 6stringapprentice

• LGM Member
    • facebook

Re: Midi controller latency question
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 07:40:14 AM »
 :o 10 - 15 seconds That is super duper latency.  :D

If you are running windows and haven't already installed an asio driver, then go to asio4all and see how/if that helps.
Sounding Mathematics.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 01:56:46 PM »
i usually get latency recording MIDI, but what i find is that latency isnt in the MIDI signal, its in processing the playback. So i just monitor myself (dont have a dedicated MIDI board but a keyboard that has MIDI out) and when i playback after recording, everything recorded in time.

When im not going through the DAW and have Kontakt4 or SampleTank2 open standalone, then the delay is very minimal.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

smalls85s

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 05:14:10 AM »
OK, I installed asio4all but the problem is still there.  The only thing I can think to try next is to buy a power supply for this midi controller and connect the audio out to an amp.  This is usb powered so I'm thinking that it might be a bit taxing on the laptop to power this 88key keyboard and process it at the same time.
Other than that, does anybody have any other ideas??

Offline 6stringapprentice

• LGM Member
    • facebook

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 08:26:55 AM »
Check and make sure that you have current drivers and firmware for you sound card.

Check your processes, services and performance in your task manager to make sure that there is nothing hogging your ram or cpu.

Make sure you don't have any viruses, trojans, malware, or spyware on your computer.

Turn your system sounds off in the control panel. Windows can get a little trippy when trying to process high priority audio and something like an error notification sounds in a background window, so it's best that nothing on your computer makes a sound unless you tell it to.
Sounding Mathematics.

Offline DeeMee

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 11:17:32 PM »
Are you using your onboard sound card or some type of audio interface?

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 11:53:52 PM »
Are you using your onboard sound card or some type of audio interface?
*ding ding ding*

your problem should be solved if you're using any respectable audio interface like an m-audio mobile pre or something

smalls85s

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 10:45:08 PM »
OK I have no interface.  Just going through the laptop.
Like I said, I'm new to midi and didn't know I needed anything else in addition to the computer, software, and midi controller.

OK, I guess I have to go spend more money.

Offline csedwards2

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Find me on the book

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 12:15:29 AM »
OK I have no interface.  Just going through the laptop.
Like I said, I'm new to midi and didn't know I needed anything else in addition to the computer, software, and midi controller.

OK, I guess I have to go spend more money.
try used through craigslist or ebay. Shouldnt really have to spend more than 75 bucks for the basic interface, and some are cheaper. just make sure to do your research about the latency times of each before you buy.

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 05:23:44 PM »
I would recheck your AISO;I use Band in a Box -a Window based deal with a Roland JV1010.Veryyyyyyyyyyy picky(BBox) Win as far as the driver-you may have several choices-experiment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up