LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Slap (?) Technique Help for a specific song  (Read 586 times)

Offline IotaNet

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Need Slap (?) Technique Help for a specific song
« on: December 28, 2011, 11:36:09 AM »
Fellas -

This song is from my group's CD but it was recorded before I joined the group. I have not been able to figure out how to play the opening riff which repeats throughout the tune.

Are each of the notes thumbed or is this a hammer-off?

I am totally confused and I am NOT doing the song any justice when we play it.  Help.

Here's the song: http://www.dwaynedixon.com/mr/godwillestablishyou.mp3

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

Re: Need Slap (?) Technique Help for a specific song
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 02:05:41 PM »
it sounds like that first note is a hammer on, but the string is hit with the thumb. same with the rest of the pattern as it sounds. when riding that F#, keep hitting with the thumb, and that "thud" is a muted note. theres a quick pop on the E and hammer on to the F# (an octave higher) before the pattern starts over.

of course my bass doesnt sound like whats recorded, but it grooves when i do it this way. it sounded decent fingerstyle as well, so it maybe more of the timing and rhythm, than the exact slap technique that gives the song that "justice".

hope that helps in any way.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline IotaNet

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 07:01:22 AM »
It does help -- thanks for the tips!

Offline funkinater

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 08:46:32 AM »
Sounds to me like Victor Wooten's double thumb technique.  Where you're striking down with the thumb and then coming back up through the string again.  Giving that 1 and 2 and 3 and feel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up