LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tips For Helping A Youth Choir To Sing With More Volume  (Read 6543 times)

Offline pressingon3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Tips For Helping A Youth Choir To Sing With More Volume
« on: January 26, 2012, 01:32:39 PM »
 Hello LGM family,

I'm the church musician as well as the "interim choir director" for the Youth Choir at my church.
The former choir directtress was dismissed from her position because of  her wanting to cause drama with me and within the choir. After her termination,  about 6  of her relatives decided to stop singing as well.  Im having a difficult time getting the youth choir members ,who are in the age range from 8yr- 25yr, to sing out loud during a service.

Whenever they sing during a service,some people in the audience state that they cannot hear  them.  Be reminded that the mics are good and the music isn't too loud. I work so hard for this choir, and Im so frustrated; :( :-\ therefore, if someone who works with a youth choir or youths  groups, would give me some good tips as to how to get more volume from their voices  as well as  some tips for getting them more motivated to sing, I would appreciate it ALOT! . .

In closing, I'm thinking about offering some rewards such as outings to the movies, restaurants, etc in order to get more volume from them.

Thank yall in advance for your concern about this situation.

God Bless!

God Bless!

Offline JoanHall

• LGM Member
    • My gospel choir web pages

Re: Tips For Helping A Youth Choir To Sing With More Volume
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 02:51:19 PM »
I struggle with this very same problem.  There is a confidence issue that is really a challenge.  A lot of the young people feel most comfortable when they are just a little bit quieter than the person next to them. :-)

I often tell them to reverse that and try to sing just a little bit louder than the person next to them.  That will usually work for about 15 seconds and then they fade away again.

They're definitely doing better now than they were when the youth choir was first started, but they still have a long way to go.  I'm eager to hear how other directors handle this, too.

Offline c3hamby

• LGM Member
  • Me after I rode my bike from Austin to Arkansas!

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 06:23:10 PM »
My kid's choir was pretty quiet during the rehearsals and church when I first started working with them. I have watched them steadily improve.

I think part of it for me is my personality. I am very comfortable being crazy around kids, so it is easy for my personality type to create a fun atmosphere for the kids to sing during rehearsal. Kids are real self concious so if I can lead by example durign the service it makes them feel more comfortable. I am glad that I had an opportunity to work with the kids before I had to work with the adults, it built my own confidence.

I go out of my way to compliment them and support them. I look for opportunities to do this. I will brag on them in front of their peers, and in front of the church to build their confidence. I try not to call them out by name in church even if its a good thing so they won't be embarassed, but for solos and things like that I will.

Another thing I did is that one time during rehearsal we were singing and some of the young guys were being silly and dancing around while they were singing. They thought they were acting up, but I encouraged it by saying "this is the kind of energy we need! You guys are singing and having fun. That's what this is supposed to be like!" The outcome was that they reigned in their behavior because I called attention to it in a positive way but they still kept the energy and enthusiasm that we were looking for.

One thing that really helps me a lot is that I always encourage at least one parent to be in the room during the rehearsal, and I have this one mom that helps me control the kids if they get too crazy. But she doesn't have to speak up too much. I also let her know how much I appreciate her being there, because we/I need that congregational support.

Last month, we were unable to rehearse during the week so we had a really quick rehearsal between Bible Study and church. We were singing in an area behind the pulpit. The Deacons were praying and starting their part of the service, and afterwards, people were impressed with how loud the kids were singing as they could hear us while we rehearsed. So they are still more comfortable in rehearsal, but they are getting more confident. After they were done singing and were leaving the choir loft I told the church that I was real proud of them because we had only just rehearsed before church. I think it is little things like that that really builds up the kids confidence.

Thanks for letting me hang with you guys!

Offline pressingon3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 01:54:03 PM »
Thank yall so much JoanHall,Sketchman3 and C3Hamby for your response to my dilemma with the youth choir at  the where I serve as the church musician. Im gonna keep all of your wonderful ideas in mind..................... :D ;D 8)

May the Lord Bless Ya Real Good!

Offline mplsbender

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 07:36:27 PM »
maybe the music is so loud they cant hear others sing next to them. I play guitar and was asked to sing in choir  wow i was not going to sing even in my heart i wanted to. was affraid would sing wrong words . I will not sing unless church gets a choir mic and a moniter speakers so you can hear the choir sing . may be that is the issue that cant hear themselfs

Offline MrSparrow06

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 08:49:18 AM »
Congrats on working with youth choirs. The directors who were my youth choir directors were my heroes. I looked up to them and because of their investment in me I can invest into others. I have to say there are quite a few things you can address to get the kids to sing louder. First of all, if you said that the choir ages range from 8 to 25 then you need to break them up into two different choirs. The 8 year olds don't understand the lyrics and the high school/college/college graduates won't want to sing with 3rd graders...
What kind of selections can you choose that would be relevant to all of those age groups? It can't be that much material that EVERYONE will be excited to sing.

Secondly, you need to look at having section leaders and officers. It is a BIG headache and it adds more to your already filled plate but when kids won't sing for YOU. They'll sing because one of their peers asked them to (respectfully). That also gives the younger kids something to aspire to be whether it is Alto Section Leader or Choir President... In the end the officers (if you train them right) will lighten your load.

Third, I recommend that you have functions either quarterly or twice a year outside of the choir stand for them. Have a bowling night or a movie night at the church or a skating party. Have an end of the year banquet to celebrate your accomplishments. Plan a trip to an amusement park somewhere annually... That ALWAYS will show the kids in your choir that you love them, it also will be a big recruiting tool for you. I'm not saying that you can hold those activities like a carrot on a stick in front of them to motivate them to sing loud, act right etc... but if the kids understand that they are WORKING for Jesus and these things are for only those who WORK, you'll immediately see a HUGE improvement in the life of your choir.

You also have to train them to direct and play instruments. Your goal as a director is to make yourself expendable. If they can't have a rehearsal if you aren't there then you are NOT building a choir. You are holding them back. If you need any help with any of these things let me know.

MrSparrow

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 05:16:29 PM »
Very good advice!

I've directed for 15 years and most choirs I have done are youth choirs.  They need to be able to relate with the teacher/director and relate to the song.  Unfortunately youth choirs will make it apparent whether they like a song or not by the way they sing it.  Make sure that rehearsals are light and fun and get the kids input on songs.  Also, try to single out the "leader" of the group.  Usually if you can get the person all the kids look up to involved and interactive, they'll follow suit.

Best wishes!
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline JoanHall

• LGM Member
    • My gospel choir web pages

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 06:27:02 AM »
I just had a Youth Choir rehearsal yesterday, and one of the boys in the choir put out a challenge to see who could sing loudest, the boys or the girls.  We sang through the song again alternating between boys and girls.  The boys won by a smidgen, but the net result was that everybody sung out.  Bless his heart!

The Protege

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 03:10:45 AM »
I currently work with the youth choir at my church, and I must say it is a real challenge simply because they think they can't sing the notes. How exactly do you get them to realize that it's all in their head? I'm a little on the old school side so I'm trying to use more current techniques, cause I hate yelling at them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up