LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: drawbar settings review updated every week learn the most useful settings here  (Read 17634 times)

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

True D-I've played Trek ll stuff and never noticed a dif.The deal is to play thru a leslie tube amp.

For those playing a clone;maybe try a set of cans(headphones);the clones on you-tube for example sound better than "live".I think the dif is "presence",a real Hammond/Leslie-gives you "presence".

Clones,unless they are amped correctly-just lack "that" feel.Saying that,apart from cans-haven't found 'that"feel in a clone.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

It is time for the new setting i am dropping this one a day early because I probably wont have time to type it tomorrow.

the setting is 000000000  000000000000  (80) 6066
                                          percussion experiment with hard soft decay and 2nd 3rd or 5th

8888  (  808800347 

think brooklyn organ with all the chopping and rhythmic playing

I've never thought of the first one as a serious setting, though I've used it when playing around after church to make the kids laugh. I'ma try it next week an get back to. My board at home does not have split keys, so it's hard to play using percussion

As for the second one I use something very similar quite a bit usually when playing a hymn with C3 chorus.

cool thanks for that

No prob

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

D-what octave are you chording at?Like the Al Green-just percussion-shades of the 70's!!!

Couple other clones-Voce made(and still does?) the Micro B-a 1/2 rack space-noisy but good;see them on e-bay $100+.With a midi merge box  and 2 controller keys-make a lt. decent setup and has the pedal channel.I had a V3;better sound-with an inbuilt 122 connector(subject to heat issues though).They also have the VK 5 module-but no Leslie sim.

Korg's last CX is a decent clone(same as Kronos' organ) with 2 sets of d'bars,split etc..I can actually do anything-soundwise on this board as a real B;split keys,real time d'bars,and octave shifts to make things useable all in a 35 lb. package.I've thought about selling mine and hardshell case for the obscene price of 2K(come to Atl and hand me the cash) and maybe get a Sk.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

I have the roland VR-760, that has drawbars, but for some reason they don't let you split the organ sounds. :-\

Offline under13

• LGM Member

It is time for the new setting i am dropping this one a day early because I probably wont have time to type it tomorrow.

the setting is 000000000  000000000000  (80) 6066
                                          percussion experiment with hard soft decay and 2nd 3rd or 5th

if you dont have a B3 or C3 or trekII you wont be able to get much use out this setting so I will give two settings this week
see below.

this setting allows you to use a totally pure percussion setting
in order to make the percussion work you need to play non legato if you connect the notes when doing runs you will end up muting the tones

I think you can only do with with the 2nd harmonic and not the 3rd. When I tried it with the 3rd, it played a 4th. So F sounded like  C

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Players Govern Players Spectators Form Opinions

strange indeed I have never experienced that

I wonder if it is your organ
Honestly I never really knew what the 2nd 3rd or 5th harmonic meant
but i my exploration of this sound what I heard was
a subtle interval
of a 2nd 3rd or 5th
but not as if the actual note became displaced but as if I was plying two notes at once wiht the second note more implied rather than played.

may I ask what you were playing?

in terms of songs I think I could play or styles or how I would use this setting
I could play any type of calypso feel with tihs
anything where i want to sound happy and bubbly
I would use this as a chorus setting switching over to this to do a break or some other variation in the song.
so perhaps this wouldnt be my main setting just a variation while I was switching between parts in a  song

I have an example i played that I want to upload to soundcloud but my iphone wont sync my voice messages and transfer them to my computer.

once i get that solved I will start uploading examples of me playing each setting
To be or not to be that is the question you anwer when you pray practice and read your word

Offline under13

• LGM Member

I hardly ever get to use that as it just sounds too harsh on my organ, though using chorus makes it sound better. I usually just back off on the black drawbars a tad bit

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

chorus makes it sound better. I usually just back off on the black drawbars a tad bit

good point next weeks setting is a different kind of animal altogether cant wait to talk about it I may drop it to you and doc in  PM as an appreciation for your support
To be or not to be that is the question you anwer when you pray practice and read your word

Offline under13

• LGM Member

good point next weeks setting is a different kind of animal altogether cant wait to talk about it I may drop it to you and doc in  PM as an appreciation for your support

cool.

Also on that setting, I think you are right, it has a lot to do with the chording. When i hear jazz guys use that setting it sounds a lot different compared to how gospel cats use it.

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

which jazz cats use that D?

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

I don't  know Doc
many of the settings I have are just the settings there is no name associated with the majority of them

I do know that they are all compiled as some of the most useful and usable settings taken from the worlds top organists
unfortunately names are not given
from the main list
my other list does have names but that list is very short
approx. 10 settings such as the billy preston setting I posted 

this weeks setting is definitely usable but it is loud and overbearing

to be used on high energy songs

under 13 said he has seen jazzers use it.

most of these settings are from a popular either jazz funk or rock context
a few of them are gospel artist specialtiy
but whether jazz rock or funk or R&B  gospel music has elements of all genres contained within
there fore knowledge of the many nuances the organ can deliver will only make us better organists.

if we learn just two drawbar settings that we will permanently add to our tool box then we have gained a treasure

don't you agree?:

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

so true my brother!!!!

I have actually been shedding with your stuff+ the presets!!!something which I had not ever done much with!!!

you are an an spiration as well as a gifted teach!

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

A month ago I started this post and the first sentence said something about me not liking what
I hear.

this statement was very revealing because it meant despite playing the organ for nearly 10 years I was lacking in important areas.

not even thirty days later I am pleased to report I am loving what I hear now

it has been about four draw bar settings and some tweaks that has given me the confidence and the ears to hear what is going on.

even when I listen to other organists I am now able to hear how to approximate their drawbar settings.

I hope that you the readers of this thread do not think that I am giving some magic formulae.

In fact I am hoping to achieve a forum a place where we can teach each other .

sadly it seems there are only three people who actively participate.

It is discouraging because I feel my efforts are in vain but
the truth is the bible says where ever two or three are gathered.......

I have become a much more capable organist in just the last 27 days in large part because of my study of these drawbar settings.

tomorrow is the last for the month of march

I encourage any new readers to look over the last few weeks posts very carefully each one is a commentary on a setting and how it can be used or tweaked.

I further encourage you to really try these out on your own wwrite them on your phones notebook and take them with you.
to service and rehearsal try them out on your songs new and old/

Offline under13

• LGM Member

I do kinda the opposite. I bring down the lows so that the highs really stand out. So I might do something like this: 666600008

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

Good stuff bro-will look @ this t/w.

What octave are you chording on?The lowest octave on my B3 gets muddy too fast and the highest thins out (solo wise).So-those 5 octaves comes out to 3 useable(in a group setting).Like 13 says-you gotta "balance" both keyboards out.

I think the 888888 setting is what Bill Champlain from chicago uses a lot-nice full-compete with the horns/guitars.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up